• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long-term daily mHBOT and full recoveries w/ ongoing maintenance

NelliePledge

I think there are probably pros and cons for each type - I would be happier lying down and I did the trial session on my own. Im not sure what it will be like with other people sitting in there. I will find out when I have my next session next week.

Jesse2233

Another great one from the Lyme thread. Her symptoms sure sound like classic ME

Posts: 1194 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013 | IP: Logged |
Looking4hope
Member # 43181 posted 06-25-2014 01:25 PM
Quick Update:

It turned out that I was suffering from both Bacterial pneumonia, and the shingles simultaneously!

As bad as things were... it wasn't nearly as bad as when my Lyme symptoms were at there worst!

Having both of the aforementioned at the same time was a setback)-: I'm now diving 4-5 days a week and have added "Oxygen", twice a week.

I can definitively state without reservation that I'm extremely tired after my dives when implementing "O2".

I do feel in my heart however that this is the direction I need to go in in order to continue the healing process.

As excited as I am in regard to the results I have received thus far.. I still have a long ways to go(-:

I'm going to list both my symptoms "Pre Mhbot", and "Post Mhbot" to date using a scale of "1-10". "1" will serve as no symptoms while "10" will serve as severe symptoms.

"Pre Mhbot" "Post Mhbot"

Nausea-10 Nausea-2
Fatigue-10 Fatigue-2
Enchapolopathy-10 Enchapolopathy-1
Anxiety-10 Anxiety-1
Pain-10 Pain-7
Muscle Twitches-10 Muscle Twitches-6
Hot/Cold-10 Hot/Cold-2
Low Body Temp-10 Low Body Temp-1
Nightmares-10 Nightmares-2
Flu Like Feeling-10 Flu Like Feeling-1
Headaches-10 Headaches-3
Car Sickness-10 Car Sickness-1
Auditory Issues-10 Auditory Issues-2
Light Sensitivity-10 Light Sensitivity-1

A the above illustrates I have made marked improvement in certain areas. I hope this gives some of you with no hope "Hope".

I often times wonder on this "Lonely Journey", how others here are doing? Rarely do I meet anyone who has Chronic Lyme Disease...one of the reasons this journey is so lonely at times.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm extremely thankful for this "Thread", and chiefly "Phoiph", for helping me get this far.

I still however can't help and think about the "Time Lost", due to this disease and unfortunately some of the relationships that fell by the wayside.Posts: 39 | From San Diego | Registered: Jan 2014 | IP: Logged |

Jesse2233

This one is nice too

posted 05-24-2014 12:49 AM
I just received this email update from the mother of the 22 year old who has been doing mHBOT for 9 months.

She has posted here before about her daughter...and will return to elaborate on her progress, but I wanted to share this in the interim:

"...Hi ******, I wanted you to know that ****** has been so good this whole week that we are both amazed. She said today that it felt like the Lyme is gone. Now we know this is probably not true but it's the best she has ever been. She is going out, swimming, running with friends, being active. She tries to be careful not to over do it but is doing well. ****** still takes naps and rests in between stuff like an older person but is doing so well. She came over this morning at 9 am to go to breakfast. We spent the whole day together shopping and watching a movie. She is now at a graduation ceremony. It's surreal for sure. I am taking her to Rocky Point with my sister and her kids on Tuesday for 4 nights. I'm so excited to have a real vacation with my daughter. It's like she is back. She doesn't have the manic episodes anymore either..."

In retrospect, I am very glad I did a video of her before she started mHBOT, because the difference is astounding...Posts: 1194 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013 | IP: Logged |
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957 posted 05-24-2014 02:59 PM
Phoiph, was her protocol daily 1 hour dives with oxygen.Posts: 366 | From Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2008 | IP: Logged |
janej
Member # 43272 posted 05-25-2014 09:48 AM
Hi JCarlhelp, Im the mother that wrote the original email to Phoiph. My daughter uses the chamber everyday with oxygen mask and concentrator for one hour. We really started to think the chamber just helped with her inflammation, increased her immune system and made her feel well for a little bit but after 9 months she has been good for over a week now. We saw forward and backward movement with the first month with severe herxing over this time period. She asked me last night when we were exercising if this is what normal feels like. It made my heart sore. After 8+ years of being sick it certainly reinforced my choice to buy the chamber. We were desperate for so long.Posts: 12 | From Tucson | Registered: Feb 2014 | IP: Logged |

Jesse2233

Another ME patient on Facebook

I have ME, Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis and have been diving for 14 months. I'm sooo much better, off all my painkillers, far more energy, no brain fog and have even come off my PIP as I'm so well now. (I'd rather have less money and not be disabled) I had my first 20 sessions in the first month which was tiring and I was not immediately noticeably better but started to improve dramatically once I started to go once a week. So hang on in there!

cigana

Another ME patient on Facebook
Thanks Jesse, I have read many accounts of remarkable improvement on that Facebook group, I have no doubt now that this is life changing for some with ME.
Shame about the cost and the often very long time needed. The group is exclusively for HBOT as far as I can tell, so it's hard to say how helpful mHBOT will be, although the recoveries in Lyme with mHBOT make me hopeful. Btw there is a Facebook group for ME patients with mHBOT too, PM if you want the link.

cigana

And a piece on Dr Myhill's website:
I am aware of individual cases of ME/CFS sufferers having had a course of 10-12 HBOT sessions at the deepest concentration and this treatment was the difference between them being bed ridden and becoming mobile. It wasn't a cure but it did create a big improvement in their condition

cigana

Another quote from the HBOT group
I've had a miraculous recovery with both my ME and Fibromyalgia. I've come off all my painkillers, have more energy and my brain fog has gone. I did my 20 sessions a year ago and have been having one a week since then.... I have my life back again

Jesse2233

Missed this one from Lymenet the first time around, quite a story...

Below is what I originally posted here on Lymenet close to two weeks ago or March, 23 2014....hope this helps(-:

I'm relatively new to these forms so before I proceed I would like to give a brief history. I'm a 37 year old male who went from being a very busy Personal Trainer, working ridiculously long hours to near collapse over 2.5 years ago!

Like many hear my body was giving signs my "System", was breaking down (IE) frequent colds, headaches, and intermittent nausea. I attributed the above symptoms at the time to a very nasty divorce, coupled with work related stress, and poor sleeping patterns.

Around June of 2011, I became really ill with all the typical Lyme "Trimming And Fixings". I had a really stiff neck, excruciating headaches, intense nausea, relentless fatigue, dizziness, and an overall feeling of not feeling well.

I took a leave of absence from my job at the time....not exactly easy when you have anywhere from 26-32 clients and averaging anywhere from 120-140 sessions a month as a trainer.

Nonetheless, I left then came back only to leave for good in December of 2011, as I was now sicker then ever!

It should be noted during this time I voluntarily went to the ER, saw numerous Doctors, who all stated they couldn't find anything wrong with me. I became so sick, I had to move back home with my parents in another state.

2012 was filled with a series of "Ups And Downs". After doing a great deal of research I suspected based on my symtomology I was a fairly good candidate for having contracted Lyme Disease. I decided to consult with an LLMD or Lyme Literate Medical Doctor in July of 2012.

During the appointment I was given an Igenix testing kit. Feeling I was already getting better doing my own treatments at the time...I elected not to go through with the testing.

Looking back...part of me didn't want to face the grim prospect I had this "Big Green Monster", called Lyme Disease to possibly deal with!

So I packed up my bags, and headed back to where I was living before I fell ill.. where both my son and girlfriend were residing.

Within a couple months of moving back, I started getting sick again. The following year was in which I would get sick, then "Kind Of Rebound", then get sick again.

It wasn't until around April of 2013 that I awoke one morning to what can best be described as a "Living Purgatory". Everything was "Off",

I had trouble speaking at times, couldn't tolerate loud noises, couldn't think clearly, had intense head pressure, and had to force myself to keep my eyes open. I truly thought I had endured some sort of stroke during the night time hours.

These symptoms became progressively worse over the next month ultimately forcing me to move back home to another state once again.

Upon arriving home I had an MRI performed with and without contrast. The MRI showed small whitespots on my frontal lobes. My neurologist stated I had nothing to worry about, and there was no need to test for Lyme Disease.

I proceeded to tell her, I still wanted to go through with the test. Shrugging her shoulders and shaking her head she reluctantly agreed.

Two weeks later my test results come back "Inconclusive". She then states via the phone I don't have Lyme Disease and I'm simply wasting my time. I told her I respectfully disagreed with her and hung up the phone.

I then went back to the LLMD, I originally saw in my hometown and had my blood work sent to Igenix. Not to my surprise my test came back "Positive", for Lyme Disease meeting both CDC criteria as well as Ig Igenix criteria for diagnosing such.

I didn't test positive for either "Bart", or "Bab", however that doesn't necessarily mean I don't have either one or possibly other "CO-INFECTION"?

The last year has been filled with a very wide and dizzying assortment of "Lyme Disease" treatments.

The only thing that "Kind Of Worked", was various forms of Ozone Theraphy. With that being said I still intuitively knew after roughly six months of Ozone Therapy it wasn't going to do everything I was hoping it would do.

I continued to lose weight going from 5 "9" weighing 170lbs with 7% bodyfat in early 2012 to 140lbs.

My encephalitis also continued to spiral out of control! It was roughly 60 days ago....I won't go into all of the "Gory Details", however I really was losing all capacity to continue living on this great big old "Spinng Rock" also referred to as planet earth.

So at this point I'm basically homebound, spending a ton of time in bed. So there I was lying in bed with my Kindle Fire, which has a couple tabs opened one of which was "Lymenet".

I somehow stumbled upon this thread and just started reading. I had heard of HBOT in the treatment of Lyme Disease, yet I had never heard of "Mhbot".

The more I read the more interested I became. Let me rephrase that....I became as interested as someone with Lyme Encephalopathy might be able to become? I was still miserable, both Physically and Mentally yet I continued to read.

I saw these posts from someone in Arizona who goes by the username "Phoiph", here on Lymenet. After reading all of the posts I very reluctantly reached out to Phoiph via private messaging here telling Phoiph just how sick I was.

It was only after hearing about Phoiphs experience first-hand which BTW gave me the chills as they were earaily similar to mine!

I truley thought I was the only one on earth who felt the way I did. It didn't matter how many testimonials I read from others on various "Lyme Boards"....I truley thought my case was unique and different before hearing Phoips story!

Let me further state that no one can make this "Stuff Up"! It's one of those things where it "Takes One To Know One"!

I believe even the brightest of minds filled with compassion can't begin to grasp on the most elementary of levels just how painful this disease can become!

So after working with Phoiph for a couple weeks intermittently via email and such, and seeing my Dr I place an order for my chamber through Oxyhealth.

However before placing the order I went to a naturopathic clinic here in town and tried out "Mhbot" first hand.

Now remember at this point I had been basically homebound for months, and was extremely nervous even being around people.

After the treatment I wouldn't say I felt any different, with the exception of one little caveat. I drove myself to the store when I was done with the treatment....something I hadn't done in close to two months.

Four days later my chamber arrives, and I do my first official dive by myself with supplemental O2. Again when the session is over I get out and don't feel any different.

The next day however I'm herxing like crazy, yet I dive again for another hour with supplemental O2.

I reach my fith dive and I'm now looking at the chamber which lays on my bed next to me with "Great Despise"..LOL! I'm herxing like crazy, and decide to cut my dives back to 30 minutes.

It was after my "Ninth Dive", which I did without Oxygen for thirty minutes that I began to start feeling "Different".

I Can't put my finger on it...the only thing I can tell you guys is that it felt like something was working on a "Really Deep Level".

I can tell you without question that when the chamber was deflating it felt like my brain was "Waking Up", as I just lied there motionless in the chamber.

The last four days has been filled with energy, and my Brain fog has decreased by at least 50%. I know it's still to soon to tell what's going to happen as I continue Mhbot,

however these changes are near unbelievable for those who have seen me at my worst over the last couple years.

"Update" 4/3/2014...I continue to do Mhbot, for 30-40 minutes five times a week. I continue to make progress each and every day...with some herxing here and there.

I missed Four days due to travel...my first time on an airplane in three years followed by rigorous walking while away!

For now I'm SOLEY using just the chamber without supplemental oxygen or the oxygen concentrator. I Just couldn't handle the Herxs when using 02..again everyone is different.

Eventually I will resume with supplemental oxygen, which ultimately I feel intuitively heals me personally on a deeper level. I simply need to work up to it as this is a progressive processes.

I'm not a doctor, so please don't take what I'm doing as any type of medical advice etc. Everyone is different, in regard to how they handle dieoff.

I don't subscribe to the "More You Herx", the better camp. Most here have already been sick for far to long and don't need to feel even worse. As Phoiph, says here on these boards "Slow And Steady"!

I'm not using Antibiotics, just Mhbot and I'm following a Paleo diet 80% of the time. I should be Paleo 100% off the time, as it's not only condusive to treating LD, and Co-infections but also helps in my experience with my Herxs.

I also drink as much purified water as possible, which helps my Herxs.

If anyone has any questions feel free to "Fire Away", that's how we learn...good luck to all of you.

Breaking up the text for easier reading for any here -

[ 04-27-2014, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Jesse2233

Just spoke to a man whose son had a significant (but not total) recovery from severe brain damage after near drowning. He now works with others to get chambers and said some people spend as long as 11 hours a day in mHBOT (by sleeping in there). He also stressed that this is not appropriate for everyone and that one has to find their sweet spot.

11 hours a day is the longest I've heard, and I'm curious if anyone else has done anything approaching that (or if it would be at all safe).

My own small anecdotal progress... several hours after my 6th mHBOT session yesterday I was able to recall 90% of the world's 198 countries. When I was well I would do this every morning on a trivia app as a sort of brain teaser, but had not been able to do anything close to it since falling ill (would peter out due to mental fatigue after a few countries in Africa).

I should note that my physical stamina and general cognition are still quite limited

For the other side of the coin- 5-6 years ago before we had a diagnosis and we were still in the "throwing darts" phase of treatment Andrea had a single session in a HBOC which triggered a flare up of symptoms of epic scale. I chalked it up to a random reaction until years later after we had a diagnosis of CVB4 infection and I found this study from the 70's referenced several places-

http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/AD0711625

https://books.google.com/books?id=u...WAhUhqlQKHdL4AhMQ6AEIUjAK#v=onepage&q&f=false

“Experimental studies on rats exposed to 100 percent oxygen at 3 ATA for 15 minutes before they were infected with Coxsackievirus demonstrated an inhibition of interferon activity, greater viral proliferation and less leakage of lysosome enzymes, together with increased host mortality.”

It is my understanding that it has to do with whether the virus is “enveloped “ or “non-enveloped”, a phrase which I have no experience with.

Jesse2233

A very encouraging update:

Looking4hope
Member # 43181 posted 05-09-2014 03:20 AM
Just a quick update for you guys and gals here. I continue to make progress, and I'm now back in the gym working out!

I'm gaining my weight back 'In A Good Way", gaining around 10lbs of quality muscle! Those who have known me for years say both my skin color and complexion look back to normal " I Would Have To Agree"(-:

I continue to dive without supplemental oxygen.....just utilizing the chamber and that's it. i do various breathing exercises while in the chamber and also watch movies on my Kindle Fire HD.

I'm still following for the most part a roughly 80% Paleo based diet. I drink 1 to 2 42.5 FL OZ of mineral water daily which I purchase at the $1.00 store.

I wake up much earlier these days and feel like I have both the energy and stamina to get things done like a "Normal Person" should.

With the aforementioned being said I still believe I can improve even more! This is most certainly a "Two Steps Forward One Step
Backwards" process with the healing coming in "Waves".

I have found it beneficial to decompress in the chamber SLOWLY (IE) around 10 minutes....however I think this is the norm?

I feel like my mind is "Really Clear", and now would be a fantastic time to take the "Cognitive Tests", I had previously taken only months ago.

The amazing thing is I had completed only "Nine Dives", before taking the Cognitive tests yet still performed really well in certain categories. Without the "Nine Dives", I'm 100% positive the scores would have been radically different.

If any of you have any questions please feel free to PM me or just post on this forum. I encourage each and every one of you to "Keep Up The Hope", and pray you all find the answers you deserve!

Jesse2233

From Dr Paul G Harch's book "The Oxygen Revolution", pg 183
Over the years I've treated a number of patients with [chronic fatigue syndrome]. Two stand out: one was a nurse, and both were totally disabled and unemployed because of [their condition]. [...] In both patients a series of hyperbaric oxygen treatments lead to significant improvement. They are both working again.

He goes on to state that one of them had measureable SPECT abnormalities which improved

Jesse2233

Translated Finnish article on HBOT for two young girls with CFS

It's Friday, August 1st, and at the Helsinki Ear Institute in Kannelmäki district, Peppi and Aada are preparing for over-pressure therapy.

" Can there take paper and pen?" Peppi asks.

It means a pressure chamber. Jarmo Lehtimäki , a specialist in therapeutic care, pauses for a while - yes, the pencil and the bed can be taken in, as well as readable. Girls get up from the chairs.

Now, of course, it's noticeable - both walks through the elbows. It's great progress, and largely due to the over-pressure therapy. Still a while ago, the girls moved to the wheelchair. Peppi also suffered from severe fatalities, scent and chemical susceptibility, as well as concentration and memory disorders.

Aada, on the other hand, could not speak, walk or move his fingers properly. The legs were stiffened to the tip. Fever and arthritis had lasted for months. Both girls had severe rash, and both had suffered from horrible headaches and sneezing pain.

But now they climb their own in the lavender blue chamber. Lehtimäki dives behind, and the door is pressed shut.

The next hour girls spend seven meters under the same pressure as the sea depth. Treatment multiplies the oxygen content of the blood. It helps alleviate the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), chronic fatigue syndrome, for girls.

http://cfsmery.fi/linkit-ja-media/m...ltavat-aadan-ja-pepin-sairauden-mystinen-cfs/

Jesse2233

For the other side of the coin- 5-6 years ago before we had a diagnosis and we were still in the "throwing darts" phase of treatment Andrea had a single session in a HBOC which triggered a flare up of symptoms of epic scale. I chalked it up to a random reaction until years later after we had a diagnosis of CVB4 infection and I found this study from the 70's referenced several places-

http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/AD0711625

https://books.google.com/books?id=u88dCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA354&lpg=PA354&dq=hyperbaric oxygen chamber coxsackie virus&source=bl&ots=VgXSPIsATA&sig=Zj62VF5yFukbT6YwBILdTxJhbJY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUzYKvwtXWAhUhqlQKHdL4AhMQ6AEIUjAK#v=onepage&q&f=false

“Experimental studies on rats exposed to 100 percent oxygen at 3 ATA for 15 minutes before they were infected with Coxsackievirus demonstrated an inhibition of interferon activity, greater viral proliferation and less leakage of lysosome enzymes, together with increased host mortality.”

It is my understanding that it has to do with whether the virus is “enveloped “ or “non-enveloped”, a phrase which I have no experience with.

Thanks Steve, that's really interesting research I hadn't come across. Sorry that it didn't work well for Andrea. Do you remember what pressure she dove at and for how long?