• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long-run prospects for curing retrovirus infection

subtr4ct

While we are eagerly awaiting new research on the XMRV-CFS connection...

It is often noted that it is not currently possible to "cure" retrovirus infections. It gets integrated into a persons DNA and they are stuck with it. At least for now. I found this interesting. In short, they corrected genetically caused color blindness in monkeys by infecting them with a custom-designed virus that changed the relevant portion of the monkeys' DNA. This makes me hopeful that someday, if XMRV is the real problem, there will be an unqualified "cure".

omerbasket

While we are eagerly awaiting new research on the XMRV-CFS connection...

It is often noted that it is not currently possible to "cure" retrovirus infections. It gets integrated into a persons DNA and they are stuck with it. At least for now. I found this interesting. In short, they corrected genetically caused color blindness in monkeys by infecting them with a custom-designed virus that changed the relevant portion of the monkeys' DNA. This makes me hopeful that someday, if XMRV is the real problem, there will be an unqualified "cure".
I think that is science at it's best. This seems like a very interesting idea, and to me, and I'm not a scientist, it looks as an idea that might cure many diseases currently thought to be incurable.

Overstressed

Well, in fact there are some advances in molecular biology, about this 'scissor enzyme TRE' that cuts out the provirus DNA. Also, there is a german scientist Frank Meyer, who's optimistic to eradicate ANY virus infection through anti-sensing. Unfortunately(for you all), his website is in German. The website:

http://www.3d-antisensetec.de/

For your interest: Karin Moelling, is a Prof. Molucular Biologist and virologist, who discovered a mechanism through an enzyme, that HIV made to commit suicide. Very interesting. She's also involved in 3D antisensetec.

OS.

acer2000

GcMAF looks interesting as well. However, the cynic in me fears that as long as ART is available to "control" the infection, not much progress will be made on "cures". Like a catch 22. I hope this isn't the case though because ART medications generate resistance, have side effects, and are expensive (prohibitively so for most of the world) - plus people with HIV, even if they "feel" normal are still often unable to live "normal" lives due to stigma and discrimination.

Well anyways, I hope one of these treatments aimed at eradication pans out. It would be a huge breakthrough.

A

Navid

GcMAF looks interesting as well. However, the cynic in me fears that as long as ART is available to "control" the infection, not much progress will be made on "cures". Like a catch 22. I hope this isn't the case though because ART medications generate resistance, have side effects, and are expensive (prohibitively so for most of the world) - plus people with HIV, even if they "feel" normal are still often unable to live "normal" lives due to stigma and discrimination. Well anyways, I hope one of these treatments aimed at eradication pans out. It would be a huge breakthrough.

A

there is a new poster in introductions: overstressed who says he may get treated w/gcMAF...you might want to go over and pick his brain a bit : )...he's in belgium.