• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Location, water, bloating?

Strawberry

I just got back from California, and while I didn’t feel amazing there, I did ok. Weird thing though is that less than 48 hours after arriving home, I look pregnant again. The only thing that has changed in 48 hours is going back to filtered tap water. And of course airport air. Could my environment (air or water) be making me gain a pant size overnight? Anyone had that?

LINE

I just got back from California, and while I didn’t feel amazing there, I did ok. Weird thing though is that less than 48 hours after arriving home, I look pregnant again. The only thing that has changed in 48 hours is going back to filtered tap water. And of course airport air. Could my environment (air or water) be making me gain a pant size overnight? Anyone had that?

Got IBS? Sounds like the gut could be damaged.

Strawberry

@LINE I definitely have IBS, but could my water or air cause me to bloat up? I know there are certain things that bad bacteria feed off. I think I have two gallons of my daughters well water left in the motorhome, I’m thinking of drinking that and see if I go back to skinny.

@Rufous McKinney I thought of water retention. My knuckles hurt Friday and it was hard to make a fist. But what would cause blood pooling in the abdomen? That sounds pretty scary.

Booble

If you took a plane, the airplane flight creates bloating. That's why there is so much farting on airplanes!
It will go down in another day or two.

vision blue

Can't it just be food from a day or two or three prior? maybe if youre in a vehicle you are not walking around as much so food is not emptying as fast as usual. walking gets stuff moving. If the abdomen is soft you should be okay. Bloating is common; it's sudden, makes one look pregmant. in some cases specific thing like some people can't digest fermentable carbohydrates and that does it. in your case, if youre normally fine wiht fermenable carbs maybe the not walking around changed threshold - they didn't move as fast as usually and fermentation casued gas build up. There's a small chance its ascites - liver related- can you see if you can get a fluid wave? hopefully not

make any sense?

vision blue

Had to look that up. Doesn’t seem to fit. But we did drink a lot so I will keep that at the back of my mind. We also ate far more carbs than I’m used to, so it could be delayed carbs.

that was just a long shot to be thorough. my vote was the rest of my post...

LINE

@LINE I definitely have IBS, but could my water or air cause me to bloat up? I know there are certain things that bad bacteria feed off. I think I have two gallons of my daughters well water left in the motorhome, I’m thinking of drinking that and see if I go back to skinny.

@Rufous McKinney I thought of water retention. My knuckles hurt Friday and it was hard to make a fist. But what would cause blood pooling in the abdomen? That sounds pretty scary.

It is difficult to make a certain diagnosis - one idea is that the gut is damaged (IBS) and the damage hurts the tissue on the GI tract. Buy some chicken broth (stock, preferably organic) with some organic turmeric powder. This combination should be healthy for the gut.

Booble

I wouldn't read too much into it.
You were in a different environment, ate different foods, breathed different air, had different emotions.
Not something you need to think or worry about. Otherwise you'll go down some unnecessary rabbit holes.
If I had a dollar for every time I was bloated I'd have A LOT of dollars. I'm guessing you are small like I am which makes it all seem more pronounced.

vision blue

I still think its as simple as not moving around/walking as much which leads to delayed gastric emptying which means fermentable carbs produce gas, which causes the instant pregnant overnight thng.