• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List your 3 favorite supplements

leaves

I am curious what your 3 favorite supplements are.
For me it is

1 sam-e 800mg Dr's best: restores my hormones (have to take it with methylfolate)
2 authia cream: helps my neuropathy
3 jarrow b right - multi b for cognitive stuff

I also like R-La by Dr's best and neurpower by NSI, this is a (cheap!) multivitamin especially for cognitive and neurostuff

ETA: PLEASE ALSO MENTION YOUR DOSAGE AND PREFERRED BRAND (IF ANY)

vitamin D
multi vitamin
fish oil

Not found any of them to make any difference, but what the hell, you're only young once.

Nielk

My problem is that I take so many.

How can I tell which one is working?

leaves

best is to do it scientifically; introduce one supplement at a time, try for 6 weeks and record changes, then stop the supplement, see if changes persist or go away (could be caused by things unrelated to supplement) and introduce supplement again if you improved when taking it.

*GG*

best is to do it scientifically; introduce one supplement at a time, try for 6 weeks and record changes, then stop the supplement, see if changes persist or go away (could be caused by things unrelated to supplement) and introduce supplement again if you improved when taking it.

Yes, and by the time you do all that, you are dead! (Half joking, nothing against you leaves). I know this is the most logical process, but it is also very lengthy!

I did this at first, but when I went into a flare up about 1.5 years ago now, I went all out and did all kinds of things differently, just couldn't deal with it all!

GG

PS My 3 best supplements, Vitamin D, Magnesium Malate and B Complex. Yes, I take a MultiVitamin every day, and I take prescription Fish oil and LDN.

leaves

:) i hear you GG I am also in the habit of trying anything that may help.Escpecially after my crash this summer. However I do try to do things a bit more systematically lately, i just cannot afford taking stuff that doesnt help or may hurt.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
My supplements are carefully chosen by my doctors. If I HAD to choose just three I would take Carniclear, Lipoic Acid Supreme and 5HTP. Well, I would need more than that. My compounded hormones, immune system supplements etc. I can't choose. Maybe 10 would be a better number. I am on a schedule. Three times a day. Blood tests twice a year.

Each supplement helps some part of the body. All of mine do things to help my body heal and keep my immune system strong.

undcvr

Yes, and by the time you do all that, you are dead! (Half joking, nothing against you leaves). I know this is the most logical process, but it is also very lengthy!

I did this at first, but when I went into a flare up about 1.5 years ago now, I went all out and did all kinds of things differently, just couldn't deal with it all!

GG

Maybe its all of them and taking them together: Synergism :)

I prefer Magnesium Orotate to Malate. I take it at about 5gm and it really does wonders for me some days. Its based on Ddr Hans Nieper's work.

Sam-e has helped my mood tremendously. My husband would vote that number one. I use to cry oh about every other day before starting the Sam-e now a couple of times a month.
B-12 injections
Lately, Royal Jelly
I take many more like DHEA that helps and a whole food multi. It's a tad expensive but worth the extra money.

SaraM

magnesium chloride oil(much much better than the oral form) - 300-400 mg
ubiquinol co Q10 - 50 mg
Methyl B12 - 1000 mcg
vitamin C - > 1000 mg
All other vitamins and minerals in separate froms

Jenny

I've found it impossible to properly evaluate any supplement as my condition fluctuates so much. But -

Pycnogenol may be helping at the moment

SAM-e may have helped in the past

Magnesium seems to be one of the few supplements that most agree is helpful, and it does stop my muscle twitches

Frank

-Magnesium oil applied before sleeping
-Methyl B12 10 000mcg + hydroxy B12 IM
-Lipospheric vit C 2000mg + regular C 1000mg

Francelle

Acetyl-L-Carnitine by a long way for energy.
Folinic Acid - which is a methylated form of Folic Acid - has helped my fasciculations
Vit B12 - Methylcobalamin - possibly has helped my peripheral neuropathy

ukxmrv

I'll got boxes of empty supplement bottles under my kitchen table. It been over 25 years of supplementation and very little has helped. Waste of a lot of money. Many of the supplements listed here by others have made me much worse.

Just a comment as we are all different and what helps one may not help another. Great to compare notes though.

1. Betaine HCL
2. Charcoal tablets
3. Folic acid or Magnesium (tied for third place)

XMRV+

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Like others i take a few different ones. I have introduced them so slowly that it has so far taken me over 6 months to introduce just a handful that where reccomended by Dr Myhill.

My favourites so far are:
Magnesium (oral tablets)
Vitamin C 3 g a day in 2 doses
vitamin D
and to cheat and add one more then Selenium.
I have seen good symptom management with these, but my M.E isnt really better. The magnesium has completely cured my cramps and most twitches and RLS as long as i dont overdo it.
The vitamin D has helped my memory and cognitive problems significantly.
The Vit C and selenium together help me to feel less toxic.

I also take VEGEPA, garlic, mycopryl, methyl B12 sublingual spray, immune and calming herbs 3x day and homeopathics 1x day. I still have a few more to add yet, mainly CO Q 10, acetyl l carnitine, glutathione and niacinimide. Was also recommended D Ribbose, but as i have low blood sugar problems i am not too sure about this.

Nielk

-Magnesium oil applied before sleeping
-Methyl B12 10 000mcg + hydroxy B12 IM
-Lipospheric vit C 2000mg + regular C 1000mg

Hi Frank,

What do you mean by I applied magnesium oil?
You don't take it orally?

TheMoonIsBlue

Sallysblooms: "If I HAD to choose just three I would take Carniclear, Lipoic Acid Supreme and 5HTP."

Hi, Sallysblooms: Is there a blood test to determine a persons level of L-Carnitine? I was looking at the product CARNICLEAR. How did your doctor determine that Carnitine would be of benefit to you? I know there are blood tests for certain vitamins and nutrients, but not all.... Thanks!

ukme

The ones I probably wouldn't want to miss:
Lipospheric vit C
Liposomal glutathione
Nutri Adrenal extra

but that s only a few of a (fluctuating) long list :[