• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of vexatious FOIs for Ms Crawley, according to Bristol Uni......0

Countrygirl

The following list is the number of FOIs received by Esther Crawley who claims they are a form of harassment.

Her accusations around 2013 involve only 4 in 2010, of which none were considered vexatious.

So has Ms Crawley been telling her audiences porkies?

I have now received a response from @UniOfBristol & accept unreservedly they have genuinely been short-staffed. They also said: FOI requests recvd re work of EC: 2007 – Not available
2008 – 0
2009 – 0
2010 – 4
2011 – 0
2012 – 0
2013 – 0
2014 – 0
2015 – 0
2016 – 5
2017 – 12

John Peters added,
John Peters @JohntheJack
Replying to @CoyneoftheRealm @TEDxBristol
Crawley has also claimed FOI requests amount to harassment. On 23/09, I made an FOI request for the number of FOI requests rcvd by her & how much time these have taken. UoB have claimed they're short staffed & cannot respond until 03/11, day after her speech. @tymestrust

Do we know what these were?

Presumably the four in 2010 related to the SMILE trial, which, given it was looking at the Lightening Process, a form of NLP, a profoundly controversial approach, as a treatment for ME/CFS in children, is hardly surprising. As argued in the forums here, an insistence on children lying about their medical symptoms and ignoring any negative consequences is tantamount to child abuse.

The next did not appear until some six years later when the FITNET trial was announced in 2016. Had Crawley already established her narrative of being the victim of anti-Science persecution, including vexatious FOI requests by then, certainly it was already a well established narrative of the PACE researchers well before then, though at their FIO tribunal the judge dismissed their claims of harassment as amounting to no more than someone having been once heckled at a conference?

Presumably Crawley in her talks and press releases does not specify which of the FOI requests in relation to her own work she considers in particular to be vexatious. The recent surge in FOI requests this year presumably also includes those concerned that Prof Crawley is being less than accurate in her accusations of harassment in her talks and in her PR about her work. This would include the Tymes Trust's request on levels of reported staff harassment (zero) and this FOI request, as well as that by David Tuller addressing the concerns about the ethical approval of her earlier 'service evaluation' assessing the level of previously undiagnosed CFS in non school attenders.

Does Crawley contend that the FOIs in relation to herself were vexatious in relation to their content or simply because they were made? Certainly those that I know of raise concerns that Crawley has been less than accurate in her contentions, suggesting that they were addressing valid concerns. If that is the case in all, then though Crawley may be vexed at being 'found out', 'vexatious' is not a fair characterisation of the motive for these requests which would be demonstrably in the public interest.

That is an interesting idea, submitting a freedom of information request asking for 'the specific vexatious freedom of requests (suitably anonymised)' in relation to ME research submitted to Bristol University. Obviously the request would include Prof Crawley's recent public statements as evidence that such requests exist.

Could it be worded such that Bristol University has to confirm or deny the existence of such 'vexatious requests'?