• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Liquid Nutrition

Daffodil

hi all. there used to be this beverage you could buy, that you drank for a period of time to get nutrients, to try to heal a leaky gut. you werent supposed to eat any food during this time. does anyone remember the name of it?

thanks a lot

Carl

First of all, a Leaky Gut is normal! Humans could not exist if the gut was not leaky. Increased Digestive Permeability is more accurate often termed Increased Intestinal Permeability but that is a bit misleading IMO which is why I prefer IDP.

No I do not know the name of it but I can assure you that it does not work!

There is a thread on this forum by HIP that has a list of nutrients that are proclaimed to heal IDP, also incorrectly termed Leaky Gut. None of them can work because it is an infection which causes IDP. The infection prevents the digestive system from healing possibly by manipulating Quorum Sensing which tricks the body into not producing digestive mucosa. It is only when the infection is destroyed that the digestive system can heal. None of the recommended nutrients can promote healing and none are really needed because in most cases the bloodstream contains the needed nutrients. When I destroyed a large portion of one of the infections my digestive system healed in approximately 15 minutes. These infections are protected by biofilms which replaces the normal digestive mucosa and it is the biofilm which causes IDP by allowing large food molecules to enter the circulatory system, provoking an immune system reaction.

Therefore deal with the biofilm, eliminate it, which will help prevent the micro-organisms from adapting to antimicrobials. To do that Quorum Sensing Inhibitors can be helpful because they stop the micro-organisms from using chemical messages to signal to re-inforce the biofilm. Using enzymes to degrade the biofilm such as Interfase/Serrapeptase/Nattokinase etc along with QSI will eliminate the biofilm. Then Efflux Pump Inhibitors along with a suitable antimicrobial, maybe with DMSO to destroy the infection. Some people get lucky and the infection is not so highly resistant and it can be destroyed fairly easily, sometimes the biofilm does not need to be eliminated. However be aware that the biofilm will make adapting to the antimicrobials considerably easier by preserving failed DNA inside the biofilm which allows the micro-organisms to use the DNA to adapt to the antimicrobials.

There is a big list of possible micro-organisms, not just bacteria, yeasts and fungi can also be responsible. All will be biofilm forming.

Thinktank

Do you mean an elemental diet? There are many formulations on the market, pure elemental, semi elemental and polymeric diets.
If you suffer from IBD then an elemental diet might help.
No formula exists for "leaky gut", and if it does it's probably snake oil. Again, an elemental diet is used tp treat IBD, IBS and SIBO which can all lead to a hyperpermeable intestinal lining. Curing the inflammation improves the latter.

Runner5

When I get sores through my GI or stomach and they start to bleed - tried a lot of things - usually do the "bowl of cereal diet" for a few days while I take supplements. It's kinda like a liquid diet. I know it sounds stupid but it works (corn only though - not wheat). I've tried a wide variety of shakes, Vega, Garden of LIfe, goat milk whey, egg protein, Soylent, Soy Isolate, Muscle Milk, Biochem, Slim Fast, Medifast I think it was called -- so lots of different things. The winner probably was Biochem Whey and the cereal diet.

When my GI is really a mess I can't tolerate much food.

Supplements I use: L-Glutamine, Intestinew, Aloe Vera Gel Caps, and Slippery Elm.

Good luck in your liquidy quest!

Daffodil

@Lalia thanks but not Restore....I think it was similar to what @Thinktank mentioned. What I wanted was to try and do it - I remember reading it was insanely difficult to do - just to see, once and for all, if the leaky gut was to blame for my severe brain fog. It it improved while on that diet, I would know for sure and wouldnt have to wonder if it was fungus or lyme or virus or something else. If it didn't improve...well I guess it could still leaky gut....

But I wouldnt be strong enough to do it anyway. I need to eat almost constantly...I wake up 4:00 AM to eat every night now, no matter how much I overeat at night. My appetite has been crazy since I became sick decades ago. If I don't eat, I wont be able to sleep....and I need to sleep! lol

When I was well, I could restrict calories and even though it was a little uncomfortable, once I started doing something, I forgot about food. It never affected mood, energy, anything. Now, its a totally different story.

Thanks, all
xo