• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lipkin Study Press Conference 18th Sept

ukxmrv

That's a very good point Urbantravels. I remember Dr Mikovits talking about the wider group of MLV's (or HGRV's) around the time that the Alter/Lo study came out. That was well before the Lipkin etc el study would have been designed? As Dr Mikovits is part of this current study with Lipkin it should include that area (one would hope so)

I'd like to see this study come up with new or important things for us.

Its going to be MASSIVE. I should be going into it with an open mind but I cant help noticing some things - (Anticipate that the the 2 months delay in presenting findings may be due to having to brief all the stakeholders and relavent parts of Government in light of the findings, ie the team have been VERY buisy because the results just may change the ME/CFS/NEID landscape forever).

The line up order gives away a little.

Mikovits is after Alter (Alter, I beleive will explain all the negative test results), Hornig to explain Lipkin Study Team results (ie; validate XMRV and pMLV's), Mikovits to explain more on XMRV and pMLV's and Ruscetti to explain the way forward like treatment options for XMRV and pMLV's sufferers like MAF 314 probiotic yougart with antiretroviral etc. Along with Biomarker research like what Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik has been doing and others it feels like stuff is moving forward in a posative direction. I think NEID just may replace CFS as the term after this.

currer

There is so much speculation. In fact we know very little about what is being looked for and how it will be tested for.
Once the presentation is made and publication of the study results is done - this is the only point at which we can get any idea of how the research was conducted - and that will take time for everyone to analyse.

I have read all the stuff on the threads on this forum and others on the Lipkin study - but still there is only very limited information available.

".....to bring their best methods for case ascertainment and characterization and state-of-the-art molecular and serological diagnostic tools to address the question of whether a retrovirus is associated with disease....."
"......to assess results obtained in individual laboratories for consistency and evidence for or against an association between retroviral signal and disease. I use the term signal because any finding related to a retrovirus, whether infectious or noninfectious, genetic material, protein, or antibody, may provide insights into disease ......."

It looks as if they will be looking for more than just "XMRV".

You have to read all 3 pages of the article below to understand about the 'contamination' negative repors which occured at WPI before they let out the samples for independant verification hence all the negative results that Alter continually drew attention too, soo Alter is correct and Mikovits is also correct about pMLV's and XMRV's

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...tigue-syndrome-turned-into-an-ugly-fight.html

currer

http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/our-faculty/profile?uni=mh2092

Mady Hornig, MD, MA, is Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Director of Translational Research in the Jerome L. and Dawn Greene Infectious Disease Laboratory at the Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University.

A physician-scientist, she is widely recognized for her animal model and clinical research on the role of microbial, immune, and toxicologic factors in neuropsychiatric disorders, including autism, schizophrenia, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and mood disorders.

Her work integrates data from animal models and epidemiologic studies to understand the mechanisms by which environmental factors, including viruses, bacteria, and toxins, or common host responses to these agents during brain maturation, may act as triggers or amplifying factors in the pathogenesis of some neuropsychiatric conditions.

Findings from animal models of immune-mediated neurodevelopmental damage are employed to sharpen the focus of investigations in human cohorts, creating the basis for translation into novel biomarkers and intervention strategies; and hypotheses generated from epidemiologic studies are rigorously tested in animal models.

In 2004, Dr. Hornig presented to the Institute of Medicine Immunization Safety Review Committee and testified twice before congressional subcommittees regarding the role of infections and toxins in autism pathogenesis. She leads a project on immune and neuroendocrine factors in West Nile virus encephalitis within the Northeast Biodefense Center, an NIAID regional center of excellence in biodefense and emerging infectious diseases, where she is a member of the Core Oversight Committee and the Governing Council. She was recently elected to the President's Council of Cornell Women

currer

W. Ian Lipkin, John Snow Professor in Epidemiology

12.4_Lipkin_Professorships-Article-page.jpg
W. Ian Lipkin, MD, is the John Snow Professor in Epidemiology, a professorship established in 2003 by a dedicated Mailman School donor who wishes to remain anonymous. A physician-scientist, Dr. Lipkin is the Director of the Center for Infection and Immunity, as well as Professor of Epidemiology, Neurology and Pathology at both the Mailman School of Public Health and the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University. Dr. Lipkin is internationally recognized for leading the team that identified the West Nile virus in New York, as well as for establishing an assay for SARS infection and hand-carrying 10,000 test kits to Beijing at the height of the outbreak. In 2009, Dr. Lipkin was chosen to direct the activities of the Northeast Biodefence Center, a consortium of more than 350 scientists and 28 institutions in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
Among Dr. Lipkin’s many notable accomplishments is his work in advancing pathogen discovery techniques by developing a staged strategy using techniques pioneered in his lab. These molecular biological methods—including MassTag-PCR, the GreeneChip diagnostic and High Throughput Sequencing—represent a major step towards identifying and studying new viral pathogens that emerge locally and throughout the world. A pivotal link in a global network of investigators working to address the challenges of pathogen surveillance and discovery, Dr. Lipkin has trained more than 30 internationally-based scientists in these state-of-the art diagnostic techniques.

currer

Harvey Alter, MD
Distinguished NIH Investigator
Chief, Clinical Studies
Associate Director of Research
Department of Transfusion Medicine
Academic Degrees
B.A., University of Rochester
M.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine
harvey_alter.jpg

Biosketch
Dr. Harvey Alter earned his medical degree at the University of Rochester Medical School, and trained in internal medicine at Strong Memorial Hospital and at the University Hospitals of Seattle. In 1961, he came to the National Institutes of Health as a clinical associate. He then spent several years with Georgetown University, returning to NIH in 1969 to join the Clinical Center's Department of Transfusion Medicine as a senior investigator becoming Chief of the Clinical Studies and Associate Director of Research in the Department of Transfusion Medicine at the NIH Clinical Center.
Dr. Alter co-discovered the Australia antigen, a key to detecting hepatitis B virus. Later, Dr. Alter spearheaded a project at the Clinical Center that created a storehouse of blood samples used to uncover the causes and reduce the risk of transfusion-associated hepatitis. He was principal investigator on studies that identified non-A, non-B hepatitis, now called hepatitis C. His work was instrumental in providing the scientific basis for instituting blood donor screening programs that have decreased the incidence of transfusion-transmitted hepatitis to near zero.
In 2000, Dr. Alter was awarded the prestigious Clinical Lasker Award and in 2002, he became the first Clinical Center scientist elected to the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) and in that same year was elected to the Institute of Medicine. Only a small number of scientists nationally are elected to both these scientific societies.
Selected Honors and Awards
Recipient Distinguished Achievment Award, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, 2011; Tibor Greenwalt Memorial Award and Lectureship, American Association of Blood Banks, 2011; Appointed as NIH Distinguished Investigator, 2008; Presidential Award, Society for Advancement of Blood Management, 2006; Recipient of the First International Award for Science, INSERM, Paris France, 2004; American College of Physicians Award for Outstanding Work in Science, 2004; Elected to Mastership in the American College of Physicians, 2003; Elected to National Academy of Sciences, 2002; Distinguished Scientist Award American Liver Foundation, 2002; Presidential Award, International Society of Blood Transfusion, 2002; Elected to the Institute of Medicine, 2002; Albert Lasker Clinical Research Award, 2000; James Blundell Prize, British Blood Transfusion Service, 1994; Karl Landsteiner Award, American Association of Blood Banks, 1992, Elected to the American Association of Physicians, 1992; PHS Distinguished Service Medal, 1977

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I worked it out that this should be live to watch in the UK at 2.30 pm (10.30 EDT) is that correct? that would mean 3.30 in the rest of Europe? Will it be live on their blog page? (it says video will be shown below)

Thanks, Justy

snowathlete

Its going to be MASSIVE. I should be going into it with an open mind but I cant help noticing some things - (Anticipate that the the 2 months delay in presenting findings may be due to having to brief all the stakeholders and relavent parts of Government in light of the findings, ie the team have been VERY buisy because the results just may change the ME/CFS/NEID landscape forever).

Mikovits is after Alter (Alter, I beleive will explain all the negative test results), Hornig to explain Lipkin Study Team results (ie; validate XMRV and pMLV's), Mikovits to explain more on XMRV and pMLV's and Ruscetti to explain the way forward like treatment options for XMRV and pMLV's sufferers like MAF 314 probiotic yougart with antiretroviral etc. Along with Biomarker research like what Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik has been doing and others it feels like stuff is moving forward in a posative direction. I think NEID just may replace CFS as the term after this.​

I hope your right. But if they found a retrovirus, wouldn't they already have canned the other pathogens study that Lipkin is involved with? I havent followed that much, but i thought i saw a post recently where they were looking for more partisipants?

currer

I think Mady Hornig's background is very interesting in this regard.

Especially these bits
"....animal model and clinical research on the role of microbial, immune, and toxicologic factors in neuropsychiatric disorders, including autism, schizophrenia......"
"......Dr. Hornig presented to the Institute of Medicine Immunization Safety Review Committee and testified twice before congressional subcommittees regarding the role of infections and toxins in autism pathogenesis....."

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Am I correct in reading the post concerning the teleconference on Tuesday in that it is for the "Press only". Is anyone in the CFS community going to be able to attend?

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I would not read too much into the delay of the paper. Large and complex projects getting delayed is not a sign of anything besides the fact that large and complex projects get delayed almost 100% of the time.

Mula

ukxmrv, on one of Mikovits's presentations she showed a family tree branching out of @ 35 different MLV's (or HGRV's).
I have another reference for that.
Dr. Judy Mikovits, principal investigator of the 2009 Science study, agrees. “We presented a paper at the Cold Spring Harbor RNA tumor virus meeting in May showing that patients reported in Lombardi [the Science paper] contained both X [XMRV] and P [polytropic MLV] variants as well as at least one other family member,” Mikovits told CFS Central.
http://www.cfscentral.com/2010/08/fdanihharvard-xmrv-study-same-thing.html

ukxmrv

Thanks Mula. I'm guessing that the Cold Harbour meeting in May was May 2010? That was over 2 years ago then and well before the Lipkin study was first mentioned.

SOC

I hope your right. But if they found a retrovirus, wouldn't they already have canned the other pathogens study that Lipkin is involved with?

Probably not. If they found a retrovirus affecting our immune systems, learning which opportunistic pathogens are taking advantage of the immune impairment would be significant information for treatment. Remember, it's the opportunistic infections that make AIDS patients so sick not the HIV virus itself.

I'm not expecting anything huge out of this press conference, but I'm willing to be wrong. :) What puzzles me most is why they would bother with a press conference at all. Do they still think there's a gigantic crowd of patients hanging hopes on XMRV and who will need to be "talked down"? o_O Or do they actually have something new and significant to announce? I guess we'll find out soon.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986

Mikovits is after Alter (Alter, I beleive will explain all the negative test results), Hornig to explain Lipkin Study Team results (ie; validate XMRV and pMLV's), Mikovits to explain more on XMRV and pMLV's and Ruscetti to explain the way forward like treatment options for XMRV and pMLV's sufferers like MAF 314 probiotic yougart with antiretroviral etc. Along with Biomarker research like what Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik has been doing and others it feels like stuff is moving forward in a posative direction. I think NEID just may replace CFS as the term after this.

I hope you are right !

LiveAgain

What puzzles me most is why they would bother with a press conference at all. Do they still think there's a gigantic crowd of patients hanging hopes on XMRV and who will need to be "talked down"? o_O Or do they actually have something new and significant to announce? I guess we'll find out soon.

Exactly! Sick of hearing what doesn't cause this - I want to hear what does!