• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Link between CFS and DES exposure.

vamah

Diethylstilbestrol. It's a synthetic estrogen that was given to some women to prevent miscarriage up until the early 1970s. It has been shown to cause certain cancers and reproductive problems in women who were exposed in utero.There has also been some research into a link to autoimmune disorders, but no conclusive studies. I was just sort of curious since I am DES exposed.

Sea

I haven't heard of any link. The problems I've heard of are mostly related to reproductive organ abnormalities, fertility problems and increased risk of certain cancers

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I haven't heard of a link specifically to ME/CFS. The mouse studies and one human study show a link to autoimmune disorders generally, and we think ME/CFS could be an example of an autoimmune disorder (e.g. prevalence of positive ANA, response to Rituximab). Other human studies don't show a link (though I haven't read any of them to see how well/badly they were designed--use of estrogens is very political). A 2010 cohort study shows a link to RA only.

DES Action is a good resource for finding all the latest news, or the relevant equivalent in your country.