• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Levofloxacin for Covid-19? Fever unresolved .. Good idea?

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
RESOLVED. thanks pneumonia under control - they think I'll be out of here couple of days

Fever keeps hitting 103°
Reduced by Tylenol for three hours
Spikes again

They want to give iv Levofloxacin

Lungs chest ok
Intestines shutdown
Other symptoms manageble
It's Day 5

Thoughts
Response words difficult now
Thanks
Concerned about worsening
Im vaccinated Pfizer no boosteer

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Are they doing that because of the intestines?

I don't know. I would ask for Flagyl and ceftriaxone (or similar) instead.

I mean, if you decide to take the antibiotics. Just my thoughts though.

Drugs.com even says, "Fluoroquinolone antibiotics can cause serious or disabling side effects. Levofloxacin should be used only for infections that cannot be treated with a safer antibiotic."

Last edited:

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Fluoroquinolone antibiotics can be very challenging for us. I would highly advise an alternative. I would request something safer if they indeed feel its time to start an antibiotic.

I have known multiple people with Covid that had an unrelenting fever for up to 10 days. I know in March, i had a respiratory virus with a 103 fever for 8 days straight. Tylenol would take it down but it would come right back up. It eventually broke on day 8. I know eating is very difficult for quite a few people with covid, can they attempt to give you a 1/8 or 1/4 of a bottle of formula extra slow drip?

I am really sorry this is happening to you. I am optimistic about your other vitals. You got this.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Are they doing that because of the intestines?

I don't know. I would ask for Flagyl and ceftriaxone (or similar) instead.

I mean, if you decide to take the antibiotics. Just my thoughts though.

Drugs.com even says, "Fluoroquinolone antibiotics can cause serious or disabling side effects. Levofloxacin should be used only for infections that cannot be treated with a safer antibiotic."

I agree. Do they want to start this for intestines? Because its an interesting choice. High unrelenting fever is common in COVID and not sure how an antibiotic would solve that.

Hi Howard,
if you need an antibiotic, ask for a different kind, which is not a quinolone. You can recognize a quinolone with the sylable "flox" like in Levofloxacine. Quinolones have many side effects, which can last for a long time and they can impact all parts of the body. I took one many years ago and I never recovered and it threw me into MCS and CFS. And there are others like me.
Best wishes
Krokus

Wayne

I took one many years ago and I never recovered and it threw me into MCS and CFS. And there are others like me.

Hi @Krokus -- So sorry to hear about your experience with a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. I'm aware of others getting ME/CFS from one of those as well. From my understanding, there are tens of thousands of others suffering a variety of severe and permanent physical impairments after taking them.

They can cause devastating ligament damage; one person I read about took a single dose, and his shoulder fell out of its socket that night. Others had even worse injuries, such as those described in the following article, which sums up pretty clearly the extreme dangers of fluoroquinolone antibiotics. -- Cipro Is Poison.

ETA -- My understanding is these drugs target DNA, whereas most other antibiotics target the cell wall. That they targetsDNA would likely go a long way toward explaining how they often do such widespread, systemic damage to the nerves (and brain), and why it can be so ototoxic. In many cases they eviscerate the connective tissue in the body (which as I understand, makes up about 30-40% of our body weight).

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

As others have already said, Levaquin (Levofloxacin), and the entire class of fluoroquinolone antibiotics, are extremely dangerous. Taking Levaquin in 2010 was one of the biggest regrets of my life and it permanently injured the triceps tendon in my arm and caused me to have a neurotoxic reaction and I ended up in the hospital.

I was in excellent health prior to taking Levaquin and it was the first trigger to my immune system (followed by other triggers) that I can never un-do. I would not take it unless your life was at risk and there was no alternative. It sounds from this thread that you have COVID (which means that your life could be at risk and I do not know the full details).

How do your doctors explain the mechanism in which Levaquin would help to fight COVID (since it is a virus and not a bacterial infection) or do you also have a bacterial infection at the same time in addition to COVID? I would inquire about why they want to give you Levaquin and also about possible alternatives.

andyguitar

They want to give iv Levofloxacin
It is used to treat Pneumonia which some people get as a result of covid infection. They might be suggesting it in case you have Pneumonia.
Im vaccinated Pfizer no boosteer
Even without a booster you will have some protection. But if you do have a bacterial Pneumonia it can be very risky not to treat it. Ask them if they can give you a safer type of antibiotic.

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
Thank you for responses.

I'm in hospital now (versus nursing home) because I wasn't agreeable to taking he levofloxacin (which is ok, nursing staff and I agreed)

Xrays confirm bacterial pneumonia - given 3 antibiotics
Banco
Rocephin
Cefepeme

And multiple other drugs

Dextrose administration helped with lethargy.. blood sugar was 40-60

And yes, read up on levofloxacin here in searching .. scary
Had cipro before, two doses, bad reaction

Last edited:

sunshine44

Que sera sera
You know whats interesting. IV rocephin is what they had me on in hospital in 2017 when i was spiraling with lyme disease/ebv infection and it helped me SOOOOO much when i was on it. Probably more than anything i've ever been on.

So many well wishes your way.

Judee

IV rocephin is what they had me on in hospital in 2017 when i was spiraling with lyme disease/ebv infection and it helped me SOOOOO much when i was on it. Probably more than anything i've ever been on.

That's what I was thinking. Wouldn't it be wonderful if something they give him helps him with the ME too?

Hoping and praying.

Wheeewww -- Huge sigh of relief...

Yes, and that he's in the hospital too and getting additional supports. :)

Rufous McKinney

I'm in hospital now (versus nursing home) because I wasn't agreeable to taking he levofloxacin (which is ok, nursing staff and I agreed)

I'm very sorry to hear the fever has continued, etc. Good your in the hospital with more proper care.

Do they think you have Omicron COVID and pneumonia?

Things feel very tenuous- germs everywhere.

Shielding- visualize a barrier that will protect you. Maybe its purple or blue.

Zebra

I'm sorry that you are sick enough to be in the hospital, but I am relieved the nursing home realized its limitations and sent you somewhere to get the level of care you need for an acute illness such as bacterial pneumonia.

Keeping you in my thoughts today.

P.S. I am hoping they took blood *cultures* upon admission. I've been through pneumonia + septicemia twice with my mum. It's super important to prevent/treat an infection that has made its way from the lungs into the bloodstream.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Absolutely agree, and even with resistant infections, I'd be hesitant ....
Fluoroquinolone antibiotics can be very challenging for us.
Totally !!!
You can recognize a quinolone with the sylable "flox" like in Levofloxacine.
You can also google 'Floxed' ..... it's become a verb, used to describe the incredible number of adverse and deadly reactions to floxacins/quinolones .....
From my understanding, there are tens of thousands of others suffering a variety of severe and permanent physical impairments after taking them.
Again, agree agree agree !!!!
I would not take it unless your life was at risk and there was no alternative.
Totally agree .... even then, I'd be hesitant ....
But if you do have a bacterial Pneumonia it can be very risky not to treat it. Ask them if they can give you a safer type of antibiotic.
Agree, and am so relieved that @Howard has been given a strong cocktail of alternatives, along with other supports that wouldn't have been easily available except in a hospital setting. It would be wonderful if something included in this broad-spectrum treatment protocol might have a positive effect on @Howard 's ME ....

EDIT .... for an indecopherable typo .... uh, indecipherable ... and a handful of other lesser ones ...

Last edited:

Judee

It's super important to prevent/treat an infection that has made its way from the lungs into the bloodstream.

@Howard do you think they suspect sepsis?

Also do you still have your patient advocate working with and for you? I hope.

Only answer if/when you are able. Praying.

Edit: Oh, I just saw your edit to the original post. That's good news. :) Thank the Lord.

lenora

Gee, @Howard....That's what I get for not checking here. Finding out that you've been hospitalized. That's OK, good even, given the diagnosis.

I hope the new meds are working and you're feeling better day by day. I hope the antibiotics will help the intestinal problem also. Will check here to see how you're doing. Can understand that you'll be in a weakened condition for awhile. Take good care.....Yours, Lenora.