• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Leaky Gut Issue - Advice required

sometexan84

While I can't address a lot of what's been said here... as I'm quite against using dietary changes as Band-Aids (and lots of other stuff that's been said here...)... I will say that Larazotide Acetate (LA) is great w/ leaky gut.

Kind of goes in w/ what @Violeta was saying, because LA is a zonulin inhibitor, helping seal up the tight junctions in this type of leaky gut situation. People have actually had good success on it.

But sadly, LA is also a band-aid.

Violeta

@Gull_67 , I have a lot symptoms that you have, especially the problem that food causes issues and so my diet is very limited.

The most severe symptom that foods, especially starches, caused was fairly severe spinal pain. I had to remove all starches from my diet.

About a year ago I started taking what would be considered a high dose of pantothenic acid, B5, and was able to start eating starches again without experiencing back pain. I actually did not expect that.

This article lists many of the symptoms that B5 deficiency can cause. Although it's found in a lot of foods, and although deficiency in it has been considered rare, I think supplementing with it at fairly high doses can reverse a lot of symptoms.

https://www.globalhealingexchange.com/the-power-of-b5/

Dr Gominak has some online videos about how to take B5 and Vitamin D to bring about healing. She always recommends taking a B complex along with it.

With respect to what I said in a previous post about cortisol, B5 is very helpful to the adrenals.

And with respect to what @CSMLSM said about the endocannabinoid issue, I think taking the CBD or caryophyllene is important, too. When I started taking CBD I noticed a lessening of symptoms from food. I did not expect that because I didn't know enough about the endocannabinoid system, and am just getting started on taking frequent doses.

One last note, how this related to dopamine.

"Endocannabinoids control dopamine neurotransmission at midbrain and forebrain loci. Endocannabinoids filter dopamine input onto downstream targets."

Last edited:

CSMLSM

The next morning my sinuses were clear and for first time in ages, I noticed the floral smells of cleaning products - so I can confirm a positive immune affect.
Encouraging improvement.
It also helps me to fall asleep.
This is great.
However, I often get a bad headache about 1 minute after I take it and the headache goes away after a few seconds (might be just me acknowledging it and putting aside), but the intensity of this headache is a concern. Could be over sensitivity to β-caryophyllene or could be caused by an immune reaction to something in my brain?
I would suggest it is the microglia shifting state from M1 to M2. It sounds like you only take a single dose in a day so this may go if you change to a dosing schedule that is more throughout the day, like every 4 hours. This means if you give an 8 hour sleep window it will be 5 doses a day from waking to before sleep. This schedule is required to make the most progress at taking control of the condition from my experience.
I overdid exercise on Friday; have had bad back pain since (which is getting worse each day)
I am sorry to hear this.
I also ate my first non-meat meal in a month, an omelet (with tomato and spring onions). I blame the veges and spices for causing inflammation and β-caryophyllene for boosting that immune reaction.
Do you mean in your back? I am a little unsure what you are meaning here. Caryophyllene will turn down an immune reaction.

Glad you have seen some improvements it makes my efforts worth it knowing others are starting to benefit too :)

GreenEdge

Yes, I mean the muscle pain in my back was caused by consuming plant matter. When you eliminate that from your diet you don't get muscle pain. I know that sounds weird but its true.

This can be a problem because it hides injury or fatigue.

Friday I did too much. Saturday & Sunday I felt odd - I knew not to exercise. Sunday and Monday I ate omelet for dinner. Monday and Tuesday I had back pain. Today (Wed) the pain is gone (I feel better) but the injury or fatigue is still there.

Carnivore diet is not a cure for ME/CFS, but (when done strict) it does almost eliminate pain caused by inflammation. It would be beneficial for those with Fibromyalgia.

Also, I note that my exercise diary is showing greater variation in exercise amount and longer recovery times. So I've been overdoing exercise for some time. From now on I'm going to try to make exercise more consistent; daily and shorter or spread out (pacing).

CSMLSM

Also, I note that my exercise diary is showing greater variation in exercise amount and longer recovery times. So I've been overdoing exercise for some time. From now on I'm going to try to make exercise more consistent; daily and shorter or spread out (pacing).
You will be able to monitor reactions to your exertions more precisely I would think this way.

GreenEdge

Caryophyllene will turn down an immune reaction.
Turning down the immune system is becoming more common in medicine but it will never work long term. Your body will always adapt to the new environment and continue to fight the disease. We want a healthy immune system so inflammation can not be a bad thing.

In the short term you will feel better from reduced inflammation. Continuing to increase the dosage will keep this effect going for longer, but it will not last. (This type of approach only benefits big pharma.)

Stopping Caryophyllene treatment results in a rebound effect (increased inflammation?) proving my theory.

You are not in charge of your body. Your body is in charge of itself, so that you (your mind) can be free.

Whatever you try to make your body do, it will often have the opposite effect because your body will adjust to whatever environment it finds itself in. This is what we mean when we say 'the body maintains homeostasis'. So for example, if you restrict calories you will gain weight? Paradoxically, yes! The body will always adjust to the environment it finds itself in. How? The body will shutdown whole systems like reproduction, generating heat (staying warm), immunity, growth and cellular repair. And so on including the brain (or parts of) and ultimately the heart.

I believe the only way to cure this illness is to provide the environment that enables the body to cure itself. And I believe you are doing that with your Ketogenic diet plus MCT oil every 4 hours. The ketogenic diet reduces inflammation by removing carbohydrates and having elevated ketones also reduces inflammation. These 2 things together are treating the cause of inflammation.

Listen to Ben Bikman explain the effect of ketones on inflammation.

When I started keto diet 4 1⁄2 years ago I also fasted to begin with because I was starting uni and I needed my brain to work, and I deliberately consumed fat to maintain elevated ketones. Often consuming a tablespoon of coconut oil before heading off to uni. My health was good until I crashed after my final 1st semester exams. And recently I have rediscovered the benefit of elevated ketones (reduced anxiety and improved mental clarity) by increasing the fat content of my zero carb carnivore diet. - I find carnivore far more effective than keto.

However, too much fat will give you loose stools as I found out yesterday. The way to cure constipation is to eliminate fiber and consume the right amount of fat. - Fiber, Constipation, and Diet | Anthony Chaffee MD

The cure I believe is a high fat ketogenic diet - like that used to treat (and cure) epilepsy.

In support of this idea, I have found these posts:
Something for those of you on a ketogenic diet. Switching to low carb (a year ago) and later to keto has been a tremendous help for me, it even enabled me to work again (even though only part time)...
I have similar issues. I have been carnivore for almost two years now and it has helped a great deal.
... I have the same issue as you do with eating too lean.
... I've been on the Carnivore diet for around two months now. I'm still very disabled but this diet has taken me from being immobilized in bed to being able to walk around an do moderate activity now...
But the thing is, if I eat a lot of protein without fat it will turn into glucose via gluconeogenisis. I then get all the symptoms again which I become super tired and fatigued...
I regularly enter into gluconeogenesis due to intermittent fasting and have learned to love it. It's something that helps me greatly when I have a day of activity. When the liver starts gluconeogenesis, blood sugar is stable and hunger is non-existent. David Sinclair has explained that it takes about two weeks of Intermittent fasting before the liver will do this so readily, but I've been experiencing this for about three years now.
I take NMN, practice intermittent fasting, and can now exercise. I'm watching myself have a chance at renewed life. It's weird.
... I’ve been in ketosis since January 2020 eating 20 NET carbs and my anxiety went away in the first two weeks my brain was clear and i could think but still had no energy or motivation...
There's probably many more...

To avoid going off topic, if you have any questions please post it over in this thread: Carnivore Diet

Violeta

This study says that caryophyllene is antimicrobial.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15507345/

This study says it has curative effects against inflammatory bowel disease.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17188718/

This is an interesting article about cannabinoids and gut inflammation.

https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/we...binoid-system-gastrointestinal-disease-study/

"An Austrian study from 2019 compared people with GI diseases to a control group to find out how the ECS responds in the presence of bowel inflammation. We already know that the ECS has a large role to play in the gut by helping regulate appetite and immunity, and by reducing intestinal permeability—also known as “leaky gut.” The new study teased out more detail on interactions between the ECS and GI conditions, finding significant differences in markers of ECS activity between those with GI conditions and the control groups."

Rufous McKinney

Forget the THC for most of it but the rest yes.

in my case, efforts to just use CBD - it does not seem to hit my issues well.

The THC is what seems to reduce my anxiety, the intense pressure in my eyes and brain that prevent me from seeing and thinking...the constant mild nausea that makes me not interested in food at all. I do not like food. . And thats all I do is prep food, eat food and try to clean the kitchen after.

Meanwhile- I am erratic in my topical Copaiba oil applications. I might apply: oh 5-6 drops diluted some....mostly later in the day. (I Hurt more later). Then I might not apply any.

if b-caryophylene is getting in, then I am taking a highly variable dose and wonder what am I doing.

I am also not noticing it helping my IBS much.

Rufous McKinney

if you restrict calories you will gain weight? Paradoxically, yes!

I did not find that to be true in my case. I lost 45 pounds on a diet called; just eat less.

Did no increased exercise at all.

(I've gained back 10 recently, as I am eating carbs with dinner/ cutting out the carbs at night, and not drinking any calories: I got down to 128 pounds.)

Rufous McKinney

Violeta

The THC is what seems to reduce my anxiety, the intense pressure in my eyes and brain that prevent me from seeing and thinking...the constant mild nausea that makes me not interested in food at all. I do not like food. . And thats all I do is prep food, eat food and try to clean the kitchen after.

Meanwhile- I am erratic in my topical Copaiba oil applications. I might apply: oh 5-6 drops diluted some....mostly later in the day. (I Hurt more later). Then I might not apply any.

if b-caryophylene is getting in, then I am taking a highly variable dose and wonder what am I doing.

I am also not noticing it helping my IBS much.

The CB1 receptor, which THC affects, has to do with lowering blood pressure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2225528/

And I think one would get faster results in the intestinal tract if one took it in capsules.

Violeta

I'm still slow to try it internally but likely will eventually do so...
I didn't take the time to read how it helps with IBS, but maybe there is something else that would help. If you don't feel comfortable trying it, maybe look elsewhere.

GreenEdge

The THC is what seems to reduce my anxiety, ...
Same here, CBD alone seems to increase anxiety. And the reverse, THC without enough CBD is much worse. What works best for me is a ratio of 2:1 (THC:CBD).

I did not find that to be true in my case. I lost 45 pounds on a diet called; just eat less.
Normally, eating less and/or exercising more, both increase hunger.
Either you were very strong willed; or you ate less on a ketogenic diet (less than 20g carbohydrate per day).

GreenEdge

I'm struggling to figure this out....

what does 300 mg/kg MEAN in terms of a taking one drop of Copaiba Oil? Im too mentally vague to figure this out.

if I weight about 140 pounds...

and WHAT IS orally? I will assume thats is NOT sublingual.

so how did they get the carophylene in?
140 pounds = 63.5 kg
300mg x 63.5 kg = 19,000mg or 19g - that's a really high dose!
Density of carophylene = 0.889 g/mL at 20 °C, so 19g / 0,889 = 21.4 mL
Copaiba Oil is approximately 43% carophylene, so 21.4 mL / 0.43 = approximately 50 mL
Diluted 15:1 = 15 x 50 mL = 750 mL
1 mL = 20 drops = 25mg of carophylene (19,000mg / 750 mL).
1 drop = 0.05 mL = 1 1⁄4 mg of carophylene.

Orally is by mouth (swallowed).

Many in the Questions about Carophylene thread found it quite strong. 1 drop mixed into yogurt (so you don't taste it) taken with your usual cannabis oil, you may (or may not) notice an effect.
If your still concerned only eat a portion of the yogurt.