• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDS as the cause of CE/CFS

My fatigue started directly after coming down from LSD when I was 19 years old. I guess I came too far down. All I could do is sleep most of the day. I have been suffering for 55 years since then with it.

I never found a MD or anyone that could explain why or what would help me. I have been searching and trying my whole life since then. I am better now then then but still suffering.

Has anyone in this forum experienced this or knows anyone who has or has any explanation as to how this could happen?

Wishful

There's always the possibility that it was a coincidence; that you would have developed ME then even without the LSD.

Since no one yet knows what mechanism is involved with ME, there's no way to know how a particular chemical might affect it. The brain is still pretty much a mystery to science; lots still to learn.

lenora

I've written before that all chemicals seem to have some adverse effect on the body in SOME people. I've seen it in my own brothers and sisters. These drugs should only be used by someone trained in their use and definitely not combined with other substances.

Perhaps you could try to see such a person. Be honest about your reason for seeing him/her and you may receive some good input into your problem. The fatigue is bad enough, but I've seen it when it throws people into severe mental illness. Really, so little was know about these substances 55 years ago....there may be better information available today. I still think a professional is the way to go. I hope you find help. Yours, Lenora

Garz

anything is possible - as - as wishful points out we do not know the mechanism that drives ME/CFS -

the only person i have seen who was actually in any way damaged by LSD was a guy i met a couple of times who had been sharing a flat with a chemistry student at university - the chemistry student and his pals made LSD and left the neat pure product in the care of the guy i met.
he thought no one would mind if he had a little dabble with it - since they had so much.
as it happened they did not mind - but that was not the issue.
he put 1 drop of the liquid in his coffee ( maybe 100 doses worth! )
2 weeks later - as the story goes - he checked himself into an inpatient psychiatric hospital

when i met him - he was clearly unusual - appeared to be permanently surprised or maybe amazed by what was happening around him.

i and many people i know did lots of LSD - nothing like the guy above - several doses worth at a time - and had no lasting ill effects.

we also did many magic mushrooms - which are a similar hallucinogen - up to around 10 normal doses worth at a time - and we had no long term issues from those either - in fact my pal went on to get a 1st in Physics - and enter triathlons for fun - so seems fair to say his brain and body were in pretty good shape.

was the trip that you mention a good trip or a bad trip?
i ask because trauma can cause the onset of very real physical symptoms - and indeed there are many diseases including infectious diseases that our bodies seem to do fine at keeping at bay and asymptomatic - until a traumatic event - stress, emotional crisis, physical trauma, surgery, bereavement etc and then something breaks down and we become v ill.
A bad trip can be one of the most traumatic experiences in a persons life - so that was the only connection i could make.

Booble

Aloha, MoveBetter. My former neighbor got pretty screwed up from LSD in college as well. He dropped out and went back home to Hawaii. From that point onward he had physical and mental issues. He was particularly focused on what food he could and couldn't eat. It got bad.

Mouse girl

Who knows what you injested with a street drug. But in general, with diseases like this, you have pathogens over your lifetime that push you closer and closer to the genetic predispostion of this illness. It is why we don't all get sick the same way. This was jsut the final drop that caused the disease to come out.

I knew someone in college who was taking that stuff alot. I talked to him a year later and he was a mess. He didn't have ME but he was a huge mess.

the final staw for me was mold esposure and valley fever and a few other pathogens. others had it form a flu, or it just slowly came on. I wouldn't worry about the why or the lsd. No doc will be able to tell you why, as they wouldn't even know what you took. I've known so many poeple who have done so many drugs and for a lifetime who are healthy as can be. I was health conscious, ate well, exercised and got sick very very young.

Hip

My fatigue started directly after coming down from LSD when I was 19 years old. I guess I came too far down. All I could do is sleep most of the day. I have been suffering for 55 years since then with it.

ME/CFS involves a viral onset in the majority of cases.

Some people can catch a viral infection, and be hit with full-blown ME/CFS with a few days. With others, they have a viral infection, and the ME/CFS appears gradually over some months.

Typically the acute symptoms of the viral infection will be a flu-like illness, a gastrointestinal upset, or a sore throat. Though sometimes it is possible to catch a virus asymptomatically, without any significant acute symptoms.

Thus if you happened to catch a viral infection at the time you took this LSD trip (even an infection which only had mild acute symptoms), this may be the actual cause of your ME/CFS, and taking LSD at the same time might have just been a coincidence.

Many ME/CFS patients find that they have one or more chronic active viral infections in their body, as demonstrated by chronically high antibody levels on a viral blood test.

With your doctor, you may like to look into the appropriate viral tests, to see if you have an active infection.

Last edited:

Pyrrhus

Many ME/CFS patients find that they have one or more chronic active viral infections in their body

...and if that persistent infection happens to be in the brain itself, then a psychoactive drug like an SSRI or LSD might conceivably aggravate the infection, by disrupting the delicate neurological mechanisms that had been keeping the persistent infection at bay... :monocle:

lenora

Good Morning! I agree that a persistent (or even new) infection plus the combo of something like LSD could adversely affect the brain. Add stress to that formula alone (severe stress) and you have a pot of unknown origin that is doing exactly what it wants.

I'm not saying that drug use is right or wrong for the general population, I just know and have seen enough to understand that in SOME people adverse effects that may last a lifetime could emerge.

My brothers and sisters were using LSD in the very, very early days and no, I don't know the cause of their problems. Perhaps genetics and flashbacks could be used to describe the after-effects. Mental issues are an entirely different ballgame and are very scary to witness yet alone have (although most don't remember them to tell you, but for them to experience).

Like @Mouse girl I was always one who had to be in control, thus never used them but got ill anyway. Perhaps we all had a common virus.....who knows? Today so many drugs are just a mixture of chemicals and sold on the street. At least I hope people err on the side of safety. However, I've always been the person who just follows and cleans up the messes and tries to help. My loved ones are pretty well gone now and no, I refuse to take on their children and their problems. Everyone has their limits. Yours, Lenora