• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN - Mood and depression

godlovesatrier

I've just started 2mg LDN last night which had a pretty profound effect. I think my immune system since the covid jab and an infection I picked up has been very over stimulated and revved up. Which I think caused an ebv flare, the ldn seemed to massively help with this ebv flare as my sore throat and neck has calmed down in a huge way.

Anyway I was feeling a little down yesterday as well due to covid anxiety and being rather unhappy probably with my recent set back due to infection. But I was wondering if anyone had experienced vastly lowered mood (depression) due to taking LDN? It could even be a start up symptom but I'd love to hear peoples thoughts/experiences where mood is concerned.

Thanks!

godlovesatrier

That's true, after taking it it made me SO relaxed. My fatigue actually came back believe it or not when I took it - not straight away but by the morning. This is probably just a startup thing though. But you have a point, I actually felt happier thismorning and slept amazingly well, it was hot and I only woke up twice.

How long you been taking it?

Hip

But I was wondering if anyone had experienced vastly lowered mood (depression) due to taking LDN?

Yes, I find LDN slightly worsens my anhedonia (anhedonia = loss of the feeling of pleasure or reward from life's normally rewarding activities, due to malfunction of the brain's reward circuits).

Perhaps not surprising, given that LDN has an effect on the opioid system, which is part of the brain's reward circuitry.

godlovesatrier

Yeah I think this is it. My appetite has disappeared as well. It's 9pm now, wasn't able to eat at 6 like I normally do and I am not even hungry.

Also I woke with slight fatigue in my muscles which I haven;t actually had for several weeks on the protocol, the fatigues a lot worse in the evening. But I expect this is the brain chemistry returning to normal and the immune system regulating back to where it was.

A long term experiment I think is warranted at another time, but definitely not right now as Josh's protocol seems superior at least with the egcg taken out (currently not taking any) at allowing me to function pretty well. Guess I didn't realise how well as I haven't been out of the house much while recovering from this mono flare/infection.

Thanks Hip.

Rufous McKinney

I've just started 2mg LDN last night which had a pretty profound effect.

I have been on 3.5 mgs LDN for 4-5 years now. Some really yucky symptoms that cycled thru daily, lessoned considerably on LDN (heat, inflammation, painful, often around the mouth/throat). I've only gone off it twice and each time, after a few days, those yucky symptoms intensify and start to creep back.

I also find it hard to really pin down what is doing, but I seem to never want to run out.

godlovesatrier

Hmm. Maybe if all else fails and my health truly worsens ldn will be one of the only things that will keep the immune response calm. In the years to come.

I'm still not convinced Josh's protocol is remotely potent enough to a) deal with all pathogens and b) kill deep tissue infections and b cell infections for ebv and the like. Although maybe it doesn't have to. Off topic anyway.

My sore throats been gone all day today @Rufous McKinney so it makes me think that it is the immune modulation that's allowing the ebv to replicate like mental. I really was amazed how quickly the ldn changed a lot of symptoms.