• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lauricidin

Kitsune

Hi, was wondering what people's experience with Lauricidin has been? There's an existing thread, but it's about 6 years old.

I would like to use this as a natural antiviral but hardly seem to be able to tolerate any. Most people seem to call it a herx reaction, but I don't think it is in my case; it seems more like ordinary intolerance to me. Not sure why I have this problem, as I've always been fine with coconut products. I was taking just one pellet a day while working on improving my supplement regime, though I thought I'd try taking a bit more today because I'm coming down with a cold. I think it's helping with that, but at the same time I'm getting low levels of my usual intolerance symptoms - this is from 4 pellets in the morning and 4 pellets with lunch. Hoping that this is a substance I can eventually get used to, though I can't seem to find any info about supplements I could take to help the process along.

If you have taken Lauricidin, please feel free to chime in with how it went for you.

Kitsune

Anyone else?

I'm taking 4 pellets 3x a day at the moment, so it's looking like this is something I might be able to titrate at least.

It's a shame that there seems to be so little info out there about this or monolaurin in general. Most studies appear to have been in vitro, which doesn't often translate well to the human body. There are tons of rave reviews on Amazon, which looks a little fishy to me, especially considering the fact that they're taking people to court for being paid to write fake reviews.

Kitsune

I wanted to check back in and say a bit more about my experience. I know it's frustrating when you read a thread about someone starting a new regime, supplements, etc., and then you never hear about what happened.

I should have realised something wasn't right when I discovered I would have to titrate my doses up, otherwise I would get an intolerable reaction if I raised them too high too quickly. For about 3 months I was taking one scoop (about 80 pellets per scoop) with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I never really felt any different; even the supposed anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties didn't materialise. Since it's expensive stuff, I decided a few weeks ago to stop taking it.

Well, the first thing I did was to skip my lunchtime dose. Big mistake - I felt awful. Since then I've been titrating slowly back down, but it's been a hell of an experience. Every time I cut my dose it's a shock to my system. I thought I'd got over a winter cold about 6 weeks ago that was characterised by a lot of dry coughing when junk gets stuck at the back of my throat, but as soon as I made the first cut those symptoms came back; they fade for a few days until I make the next cut, and then I'm struggling with them again. On top of that, my temper is on a short fuse and I kinda feel like I did when I was coming off corticosteroids years back; difficult to describe if you haven't been there, but like I said, it's quite a shock to the system. I'm going on holiday at the end of March and I want to be completely off this stuff by then, and not have to worry about taking it in the airport and on the plane.

Most people who have a reaction to Lauricidin when they begin taking it immediately attribute it to die-off. I suppose that's understandable, given that there seems to be so little information about this compound available. I mean, it's essentially coconut oil, so how could that possibly harm you, right? So why did I find it so difficult to start taking it, and why am I in withdrawal as I discontinue it? I can't find anything on the internet about anyone else having had this experience, so I thought I would put my own story on record. I really hope someone properly studies Lauricidin and its effects on human physiology in the future, because having done this to me, I'm thinking it's not been a good thing to put in my body.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks for posting, strange isn't it. Do you think it was doing something positive but ever so subtle? and now reducing it is causing a re-establishment of bugs/

Kitsune

Well, having had to titrate the dose up in the first place, and being familiar with withdrawal symptoms from discontinuing antidepressants and corticosteroids in the past, I'd say it's pretty clear that this is something my body had to get attenuated to and then has had to get used to not having. The cold symptoms, I'm certain, are coming from a compromised immune system due, probably, to the general shock to my system. That's why they get a little better every day after I cut my dose, and worsen when I make another cut. Actually I would really like to know exactly how coconut oil is processed to make Lauricidin, because I have never had any problems with coconut foods or products of any kind. I love coconuts.

Hi, I've used monolaurin for about two years, as nothing had helped in the preceding 3, which were a living hell.

My situation's been chronic and monolaurin helped alleviate some symptoms, noticeably after 1-2 months. It's not a cure in it's own right, but one of the better supplements I've taken within an overall protocol of diet, herbals, vitamins. I now regularly consume young coconuts also.

When reducing monolaurin dosage l noticed some symptoms slowly return. It may be our physiology which has altered/accommodated, but in my case l believe it's the pathogenic load increasing again and tipping the balance back in their favour.

My understanding is that it helps dissolve the envelope around certain pathogens, allowing our immune system to easier identify, attack and eradicate.

It's also known as a biofilm buster. l've taken gse/ oregano etc with monolaurin to help kill pathogens as they supposedly become further exposed when biofilm protection breaks away. I can't verify this process actually occurs, but my research supports this theory. Biofilms are considered 1000 times harder to eradicate than the pathogens themselves.

Many of us share similar symptoms from a diverse range of infections and our biological makeup obviously differ so YMMV.

As an aside, and not directed at anyone here, I read way too many stories of folks dabbling with supplements, then ditching them before effect may have been realized, creating more resistance in pathogens and ultimately making recovery more difficult.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I started Lauricidin a week ago. A few hours after taking a single pellet in the morning I had a herx reaction. I then took another pellet in the evening. I have not experienced any herxing since.

I have titrated up to 3 pellets 3 times a day.

The last 2 days I have felt more energetic - walking 13,000+ steps (flat ground) each day.

I'm hoping the good times keep on rolling.

PDXhausted

I started Lauricidin a week ago. A few hours after taking a single pellet in the morning I had a herx reaction. I then took another pellet in the evening. I have not experienced any herxing since.

I have titrated up to 3 pellets 3 times a day.

The last 2 days I have felt more energetic - walking 13,000+ steps (flat ground) each day.

I'm hoping the good times keep on rolling.

Hi @ScottTriGuy -- How's the lauricidin going?

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Wish I could report improvement, but no change in PEM.

At some point in late March I crashed.

I haven't been able to walk more than 15 minutes for a few months.

PDXhausted

An update from me: I've been taking around 10 pellets per day for about 2 months now, and haven't noticed any effect good or bad. I probably should try a higher dose and see if anything happens.

I'm taking because of high EBV titers but I'm not sure that I actually have symptoms from EBV. This seemed like it wouldn't hurt to try.

PDXhausted

@sb4 I have had some other things going on...
(amoxicillin for a nasal staph infection, nystatin for a gut infection, regrowth of some ovarian endometrioma cysts, development of severe allergies and probably MCAS, discovery of a neurotoxic mold growing in our attic that was venting into my room where I'm bedridden, moving into a rental while bedridden and severely ill while house gets remediated, and now about to move back home)...

So I haven't taken the lauricidin in probably 5 months and it'd be hard for me to say the effect of taking it vs not taking it with all the confounding variables happening right now. Once I get back home and stable I might get back on a regular dose just to finish it and see if it does anything. Trying to get my allergies calmed down is my top priority right now and I'm not sure what effect lauricidin has on MCAS so I'll have to do some research first. If anyone knows, I'll be interested to hear.

godlovesatrier

I just wanted to write an update here. So I trialled Lauricidin for about 2 months. I was taking 9000mg a day at the max dose basically 3 scoops a day.

What I found was that even though it did give me a little bit more energy - now I have stopped taking it I am not actually noticing much of a difference (I'm 1 week post not taking it). I also have a erythsma bacterial skin infection which started while taking Lauricidin and thrush at the same time. While my ebv sore throat has almost gone completely I can't be sure Lauricidin did a thing for me.

Whilst I've raved about how much energy it gave me elsewhere, I am now not convinced and also unsure if it was doing more harm than good. I'm on my second anti biotic cream for the rash whilst also taking doxy and the rash is still not fully resolved after 7 days of doxy and 4 days of the new cream. I will speak to my doctor again but my point is this stuff may 100% be a con so watch out you might be throwing your money down the drain. Until these infections are gone I can't try it again, whilst it does give a small energy benefit I don't think it's as big as I first thought.

lenora

@sb4 I have had some other things going on...
(amoxicillin for a nasal staph infection, nystatin for a gut infection, regrowth of some ovarian endometrioma cysts, development of severe allergies and probably MCAS, discovery of a neurotoxic mold growing in our attic that was venting into my room where I'm bedridden, moving into a rental while bedridden and severely ill while house gets remediated, and now about to move back home)...

So I haven't taken the lauricidin in probably 5 months and it'd be hard for me to say the effect of taking it vs not taking it with all the confounding variables happening right now. Once I get back home and stable I might get back on a regular dose just to finish it and see if it does anything. Trying to get my allergies calmed down is my top priority right now and I'm not sure what effect lauricidin has on MCAS so I'll have to do some research first. If anyone knows, I'll be interested to hear.

PDXhausted....I do hope you can get your allergies calmed down again. I never used to have any and now only have about 2 wks./yr. when I'm allergy free. As you probably know, they can start at any time and periods of stress, good or bad, create a great environment for them. I wanted to mention to the person who had the winter cough that he/she should be thinking along the lines of allergies. Fall is often the beginning point for many people...they're a nuisances and cause so many difficulties. You never really feel well when you have them, so please at least consider them as a winter cough (the dry cough in the throat) is often a symptom. I have no immune system any longer, so have seen it gradually disappear. The last thing was Autoimmune Encephalitis....I'm told it's b/c of a lack of salt and the balance of liquids, but there has to be more going on. Personally, I'm betting on viral problems. Yes, treatment with steroids can leave us feeling like superman/woman and then we have a terrible shock to our systems as we get off them. I hope you feel better soon. Yours, Lenora.