• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lauricidin

Dreambirdie

work in progress
My LAURICIDIN story

I began taking Lauricidin in the beginning of July. I've had chronic infection problems for about a decade
(CFS for 32 years). Interestingly enough, the infection problems came on strong a year or two AFTER I
had my last amalgam filling removed. For me there is a clear connection btwn the toxicity of the heavy
metals and the chronic infections, which is becoming even more obvious as I take the Lauricidin.

Initially, I took the standard adult dose of 2000 mg, but I had such a strong Herx that I was practically
hallucinating (and NOT in a good way!) I backed WAY DOWN to the children's minimal dose of 1-3 pellets
per day, and stayed on that for a week, but even the baby dose gave me headaches, nausea and fatigue.
This was HIGHLY unusual for me, the mega-dose "supplement-arian," as my friends jokingly refer to me.
So I knew the stuff was really working. Over the past 2 months, as I've gradually increased my dose to
about a third of the standard adult dose, my infections have clearly diminished in severity, but the VERY
WEIRD part is that as the infections get better, the symptoms of HEAVY METAL TOXICITY have reared
their big old ugly heads.

I was so perplexed by this reaction that I called Brian Kabara at the Lauricidin company. He is very helpful
and supportive--his grandfather is the one who discovered Lauricidin. He told me that YES! Lauricidin does,
in addition to being anti-viral and anti-bacterial, in fact behave like a mild chelator. So hello, I wasn't totally
imagining the heavy metal toxicity reaction! (With CFS for so many years I have been DEEPLY programmed
to believe that I am "imagining" my illnesses, so that is my unfortunate regression in times of confusion.)

Anyway, I do know I have heavy metal toxicity, from the hair analyses I've done over the years. But to
confirm it, I am going to do one of those fecal heavy metal tests. I'm going to continue to take Lauricidin,
along with some other stuff (chlorophyll in HIGH doses, N-A-C, large amounts of Vit C, garlic, and fruit
pectin) all to aid in minimizing the detox symptoms. I'm hoping that in time I can clobber both monsters
with one big stone.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried the Lauricidin and what results they've had?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I've never even heard of Lauricidan before. It looks like its a kind of fatty acid?

http://www.lauricidin.com/

The website says with regard to antiviral effects:

Some of the viruses inactivated by these lipids are the measles virus, herpes simplex virus (HSV-1 and -2), herpes family members (HIV(?), hepatitis C, vesicular, stomatitis virus (VSV), visna virus, and cytomegalovirus (CMV). Many of the pathogenic organisms reported to be inactivated by these antimicrobial lipids are those know to be responsible for opportunistic infections in HIV -positive individuals. For example, concurrent infection with cytomegalovirus is recognized as a serious complication for HIV positive individuals (Macallan et al 1993).

Thus, it would appear imperative to investigate the practical aspects and the potential benefit of a nutritional supplement such as monolaurin (Lauricidin) for microbial infected individuals. Until now few nutritionists in mainstream nutrition community seem to have recognized the added benefit of antimicrobial lipids in the support of infected patients. These antimicrobial fatty acids and their derivatives are essentially nontoxic to man. According to the published research, lauric acid is one of the best "inactivating" fatty acids, and its monoglyceride is even more effective than the fatty acid alone (Kabara 1978, Sands et al 1978, Fletcher et al 1985, Kabara 1985).

It should be emphasized that lauric acid cannot be taken orally because it is severally irritating. Lauricidin on the other hand, a derivative of lauric acid chemically bonded to glycerin to form monolaurin, can be taken orally without any problem.

Bacteria

The potentially pathogenic bacteria inactivated by monolaurin include Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus agalactiae, Groups A, streptococci-gram-positive organisms, and some gram-negative organisms (Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Helicobacter pylori).

The head guy is the author of "How Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Actually Benefit the Body" http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781556436901 which is interesting because my cholesterol level is really low. I do not do well with Coconut oil, however, in fact its one of the few substances that make me worse. Then again Mike was eating lots of bacon early in his recovery period (before he got too fat :))

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I've never even heard of Lauricidan before. It looks like its a kind of fatty acid?

I had never heard about it either, even though it's been around for 30 years. And I thought I had heard it all! ;):rolleyes::D
Believe me, I have been the guinea pig for at least 2000 various supplements over these 3 decades.

I'm continuing to have die-off and detox reactions as we "speak." Very few things I take are actually this potent, enough to
feel them at work in my body. And from what I understand, Lauricidin is the strongest NATURAL anti-viral/fungal/bacterial
thing you can take. For that I can confirm it is living up to its reputation.

I'm hoping someone else here has taken it... I'd like to hear from them if they have.

Min

This is interesting thank you. Your herx symptoms sound horrific & I do hope you have found a dose to suit you now,

I've been taking Lauricidin on medical advice with a number of other herbs for about a year, having been diagnosed with borreliosis and micro-cocci on the red blood cells by live blood microscopy (also cryptostrongylus pulmoni - microscopic lung worms, treated with Ivermectin).

The 'die off symptoms' I put down to bacterial death, but I do have mercury dental fillings. My last blood test showed hardly any bacteria.

Because of the expense I have changed from Lauricidin to taking a teaspoon of cold pressed virgin coconut oil with meals.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Min;3832 I've been taking Lauricidin on medical advice with a number of other herbs for about a year said:
Hello Min!

So there is someone else here who has tried the Lauricidin! How much did you take? I can only do 5-10 pellets
per day at this point. I am so Herx-y that that's my maximum? Does it get a little easier over time, I hope? And
have you found the coconut oil to be as effective?

I really want to continue with it, but I have to find a way to do it without so much discomfort.
Any input you have would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Min

it certainly seems to be doing something for you judging from your body's reaction, I hope you can find the right dose.

I was taking 2 x 300mg Virese tablets three times a day, not pellets. Now I take a teaspoonful of coconut oil three times daily with meals; it is 50% Lauric acid, but it isn't the same thing as Lauricidin according to the Lauricidin site:

"What is the difference between Lauricidin and Lauric Acid?
Lauricidin is an ester (combination of an acid and glycerol) while lauric acid is a C12 fatty acid. Lauric acid is NOT an amino acid"

Sorry I don't know if it is effective as it is only one of a number of supplements that I'm taking for the bacteria. According to my blood results the supplements & herbs are killing the bacteria, but I'm not feeling any better & believe I also have mitochondrial dysfunction and an underlying chronic viral infection in my central nervous system.

Jenny

Dreambirdie - can I ask, how are you getting on with the lauricidin? I'm thinking of trying it. (Apologies if you've reported on this on another thread - it's hard to keep up sometimes!)

Jenny

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Jenny--

I have cut WAY back on the Lauricidin, due to the fact that it acts as what they consider to be a "mild" chelator. (And that MILD part is a real understatement!)

I took it daily for about 3 months, thinking there would be an end to the chelation eventually. But after a while I got too drained from all the detoxing. Right now I take only 3 pellets once a week at the most. I miss the anti-viral effects it had for me, and hope to continue it at a later date, when I feel up for it.

Jenny

Hi Dreambirdie

Thanks for this. Can I ask, how do you know if it is chelating? Chelating what? Perhaps you were experiencing what some people call 'die off' of bugs (not sure what evidence they have for that though).

What kind of anti-viral effects did it have?

Sounds a good idea to back off for a bit, whatever's happening.

Jenny

Hi Dreambirdie,

I can only take 1-3 per day and not every day. It pulls heavy metals out once the virus is gone. I am going to try some Red Clover tea. I am new here. I got a candle holder for Christmas from a friend. It has rocks and shells and a little card telling me where all the rocks and shells came from.

Sure hope things are better for you. Sorry this is such a late reply. It is my first post to the Forum.
--Femmgrrl

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Dreambirdie,

I can only take 1-3 per day and not every day. It pulls heavy metals out once the virus is gone. I am going to try some Red Clover tea. I am new here. I got a candle holder for Christmas from a friend. It has rocks and shells and a little card telling me where all the rocks and shells came from.

Sure hope things are better for you. Sorry this is such a late reply. It is my first post to the Forum.
--Femmgrrl

Hi Femmgrrl!

WELCOME to the FORUM! :cool::Retro smile::Retro smile:

I've heard from several others that this often happens with Lauricidin, as it has also been an issue with Freddd's B12 protocol. It's apparent that the pathogens and the heavy metals go hand in hand. Exactly how... I have no idea. But my personal experience and my test results confirm it.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Dreambirdie

Thanks for this. Can I ask, how do you know if it is chelating? Chelating what? Perhaps you were experiencing what some people call 'die off' of bugs (not sure what evidence they have for that though).

What kind of anti-viral effects did it have?

Sounds a good idea to back off for a bit, whatever's happening.

Jenny

Hi Jenny--

At this point (after 32 years of CFS) I just "KNOW" when I'm having a heavy metal detox. I sometimes get a fecal metals test to confirm (what I already know), but most of the time I just trust my experience. The metals that have appeared in my tests are NUMEROUS, with thallium being the main high level culprit during this past year.

The difference btwn DIE-OFF and DETOX is something that would be hard to describe, tho GENERALLY I get more fatigue and nausea with the die-off, and more wired and multi-neurologically whacked out with the detox.

The anti-viral effect of Lauricidin is that of relief from my predominant viral symptoms--chills, low grade fever, sinus pain, and muscle achiness.

N

Niceguy

Hi All

I don't know if you have talked about this but I am sure you have

I started using Lauricidin about a month ago and am up to two scoops a day

The only thing I have noticed is it helps my bowels move
I think it may be helping

My questions are

How long do I need to use it to know if it is helping?

How much do you guys use ?

Thanks

NG

Hi Jenny--

I have cut WAY back on the Lauricidin, due to the fact that it acts as what they consider to be a "mild" chelator. (And that MILD part is a real understatement!)

I took it daily for about 3 months, thinking there would be an end to the chelation eventually. But after a while I got too drained from all the detoxing. Right now I take only 3 pellets once a week at the most. I miss the anti-viral effects it had for me, and hope to continue it at a later date, when I feel up for it.

Hi,
I just found this website because I did a search for the Lauricidin website to recommend to some friends. My nutritionalist recommended I take Lauricidin because blood tests showed that I had some sort of infection and I also have heavy metals - probably from dental work and taking showers in unfiltered water. I started out taking 1/2 scoop (the blue scoop that came with the Lauricidin) once a day for one week, then 1 scoop once a day for one week, and now I am taking 1 scoop twice daily. I was told to drink lots of water - I weigh 128 so I am supposed to drink 1/2 my weight in ounces of water - so at least 64 ounces of water per day. I find that if I don't drink enough water, I get queasy and a dull headache. I have more good days than bad days now that I have taken it for about one month. I am also eating clean. Lots of vegetables, fruit, lean beef, chicken, salmon - all meat without growth hormones or antibiotics. No pork. No processed foods or white sugar. It is best to use stevia or agave nectar for sweetener. Also try to get locally grown fruits and vegetables or organic, if available to you. Hope this finds you feeling better.

kat0465

dreambirdie,
i bought some about a month or so ago, and started on a baby dose also. it knocked me on my butt! after a day or two i felt really worse( herx) so i backed off for a while. i had to have a echo to see if there was a problem with my heart. they said it was Normal (really rollin eyes)

so im going back on the lauricidin, i feel it was killing off some bugs. but i didnt know it was a chelator! thanks for the info, im gonna try again, and maybe use some charcoal with it. does the chlorophyl and fruit pectin bind to toxins also??
thanks again

Kat

L'engle

moogle
I haven't been able to get Lauricidn in Canada. I do take virgin coconut oil. I'm pretty sure it causes a die off of some kind, since I get cold, weak and have no appetite if I take over a certain amount. I have no prospect on long how that would go on for, or whether it would eventually lead to a lessening of symptoms. I'd have to try if for longer than I have. I took 3 tbsp a day for maybe six weeks and I think the die off got easier, but then I switched to a smaller amount since my baseline didn't seem to get any better. I'm thinking of edging up the amount I take again, maybe to 2 tbsp a day that should be easier to take. If anything it may stop viruses from getting worse than they are, who knows. Good luck all.

kday

Dreambirdie -

In my experience, if you keep taking these things, and keep pushing through the herxing, it will eventually go away and/or you will get monthly flares instead of constant die-off. However, these low doses have the potential of not working if bacteria are replicating faster than you are killing them.

Your "viral symptoms" may really be bacterial die-off symptoms. And yes, they can last a long time before they subside. I've analyzed my blood during die-off via dark field microscopy in the early days, and believe me, it was bacteria that was involved (and a lot of it).

A good test is to try an antibiotic. I would bet that something like doxycycline would cause similar reactions.

And bacterial die-off, candida die-off, and heavy metal chelation all go hand-in-hand. Bacterial die-off pulls heavy metals for the ride, and heavy metals seem to pull candida. I might have the order a bit backwards, but this has been what I have found. Bacterial die-off always effects me neurologically, as well as other ways.

But if you can't properly mobilize heavy metals and other toxins out of your system, it will make you feel substantially worse. It did for me anyway. This is where chelation and methylation support would help.

Boule de feu

I came across this thread and wanted to know if some of you started taking Lauricidin. Have you encountered any problems while taking it? I know it's not a cure but I feel very strongly that something is very off with my immune system (My dr. can't put a finger on the cause of my severe symptoms).

I've read that it is an anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and a anti-fungal product. (So, I can't lose).
It also says that it regulates bowels movements (I have IBS, so it would be good).
It could boost the immune system (do I really want that?).

I have found three websites in Canada where it is sold.
The shipping costs are extravagant but i'm ready to give it a go.

xrunner

I personally didn't find it helpful, on the contrary it made me feel too wired and no perceptible immune effect.
It's a thyroid stimulant so it may also help with that.