• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Laura Hillenbrand--Unbroken

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
Just watched the Today show with the interview about her new book Unbroken. She mentioned how tough it was to write the book having CFS and that it took her 7 yrs because of it. Her subject, who is probably the bravest man ever, actually gave her his purple heart for what she has gone through! No up to date news about the illness was discussed however. It would be nice if we could use her in some way to help our cause. She is so personable and now with a second best seller rolling out, quite a celebrity!

Gemini

jimbob & caledonia, great interview.

Thanks to Today Show producers for highlighting Laura's illness
& many many thanks to Laura for speaking publicly about it!

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
Also read the People magazine piece on her with Kim Kardashian on the cover. The little question and answer part on the bottom right was pretty good.

eric_s

Wow, he gave her his purple heart?!

If we could have this man as the face of a CFS campaign!!!!!:eek::eek::victory:

Put this man, his story and the story about giving the purple heart with some personal comments by him regarding the severity and seriousness of CFS/ME in an ad in a newspaper!
Wouldn't this really catch and convince people??

Gemini

Put this man, his story and the story about giving the purple heart with some personal comments by him regarding the severity and seriousness of CFS/ME in an ad in a newspaper!

eric,

Great idea! Perhaps the ad designers on the forum will consider it.

If Unbroken is made into a movie, as rumored, the story will be high profile for a good while.

eric_s

Perhaps the ad designers on the forum will consider it.
That was my thought too. But i guess by now their project has progressed so far that they don't want to start over and design a new ad. I don't know how far along they are though.
But that does not mean there can't be another ad!

If the book is made into a movie and Zamperini and his story have high profile for some time that would be an incredible opportunity!!! The best i've ever heard of anyway. We would really, really, really have to try to "use" that. I mean in an honest way, i just don't know a better word here than "to use".

A photo of him and some text like "I'm Louis Zamperini. When i worked with Laura Hillenbrand i learned about CFS. You all know what i've experienced but after getting to know Laura and her story, i was so amazed i decided to give my purple heart to her. She and her fellow PWCs deserve it as much as anyone. Please help find a cure for this illness by doing [insert ways to help here]. Thank you very much. Louis Zamperini."

Sh... :eek::eek: i'm getting excited by only thinking about it. This might really give us all we've ever wanted and have been denied. The publicity, respect and help. I don't mean this in a greedy way. It's really just about getting justice and the same chances everybody else has.
Seriously, we should not let this get away. I'm quite overstretched now, but i'll try to help with this, if needed. Just not today, please. Over the weekend they broke into my apartment back home (not at home now) plus i have to finish some work until tomorrow morning :confused:. I need a break.

Gemini

A photo of him and some text like "I'm Louis Zamperini. When i worked with Laura Hillenbrand i learned about CFS. You all know what i've experienced but after getting to know Laura and her story, i was so amazed i decided to give my purple heart to her. She and her fellow PWCs deserve it as much as anyone. Please help find a cure for this illness by doing [insert ways to help here]. Thank you very much. Louis Zamperini."

eric,

You're right, there's an opportunity here. So sorry to hear about your break-in. When you have time, no need to hurry, perhaps you could contact Laura & Louis about your idea, show them what you've put together, and get their feedback.

eric_s

Yes, let's try to do that. First we have to find out if there will be a movie. Because if so, we should probably wait for that. Then i think we should do this with usedtobeperkytina and her ad-group, because they already have experience and are in the USA (i'm not) and Tina knows the media business.
Form a team, see if we can get Laura & Louis for this, try to raise the money and do it.

I think this could really make an impact.

And thanks. The break-in was not so bad, luckily, they did not steal much and nothing that belongs to me (it's my subtenant's stuff that's in there now). It just came in a very bad moment and forces me to think a lot and quickly in order to evade having to pay for the damages myself in the end. Dealing with the landlord, subtenant, insurance companies, police... :rolleyes: but now it's more or less handled.

Forbin

Louis Zamperini, the subject of Laura Hillenbrand's 2010 biography "Unbroken: : A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption," has been named the Grand Marshall of the 2015 Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena California. The New Year's Day parade immediately precedes the Rose Bowl football game, the oldest college football bowl in the U.S. Traditionally, the Grand Marshall also tosses the coin at the beginning of the game.

http://ktla.com/2014/05/09/louis-za...nd-marshal-of-2015-rose-parade/#axzz31Hwim2Zp

Hillenbrand, who came down with CFS in 1987, is also the author of "Seabiscuit: An American Legend." Published in 2001, "Seabiscuit" was released as a feature film in 2003.

"Unbroken" is in production for a Christmas Day, 2014 release, one week prior to the 2015 Rose Parade.

In 2003, Hillenbrand wrote eloquently about her early experience with CFS in the New Yorker article "A Sudden Illness." In 2004, the article won the National Magazine Award in the Essays category.

http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/Hillenbrand.html

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I think 60 Minutes did a piece on Louis. I wish Laura had more visibility.

Although I'm sure people would say she can't be sick, look at what a good writer she is~

Forbin

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Thanks for posting this and I did not realize that he died today. I adore Laura Hillenbrand and she is my hero.