• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Latest progress report on my recovery

Despite the slim chances of my recovery continuing, I cannot deny that this is what is still happening. It is difficult to believe that I only seem to need between 6 and 7 hours of sleep in every 24 hour period, with no naps during the day.

At the moment, I am experiencing significant muscle fatigue in both legs. I think that this is a result of deconditioned muscles that have been affected by long periods of inactivity when I had significant ME/CFS symptoms. I expect that with some sensible management they can soon return to feeling normal.

JES

You are the person taking statins I reckon? I trialed a red yeast rice supplement a couple of years ago, which contains a statin-like chemical monacolin K. I remember I soon afterwards started experiencing muscle aches, both in the night and after walking and an increase in my neuropathy from a ridiculously low dosage of this supplement. I don't normally have any muscle symptoms, so it was certainly a side effect of this supplement.

Were you experiencing that before the statins?

Before taking the statin, I was resting/ sleeping for 13 hours in every 24 hour period. During this time physical activity was greatly reduced, compared what it is now.

I have found that my muscles are slowly starting to feel normal again. The fatigue that I am experiencing is reducing, although I still expect this to take a few more weeks. I think that this is understandable because it takes time and effort to get inactive muscles working like normal again.