• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Latent population, 3.7% or twice that?

FernRhizome

Hi folks:
I am wondering if the percent of XMRV is closer to double the 3.7% reported in the Science paper. I am wondering about this because after WPI refined it's test methods it findings in CFS jumped from 67% to nearly 95 to 99%. If they went back and retested the controls wouldn't that figure also almost double? I wonder when refined testing information on healthy controls will be published? ~FernRhizome

FernRhizome

Hi:
That's interesting. I've also been wondering why WPI didn't immediately post their government grant as well as it's been more than a month since it was public knowledge. There must be grant money going into the WPI/Cornell/Columbia research study, but wonder why that one isn't on their site yet? Perhaps it's just a matter of their being overwhelmed....or the slowness of red tape on grant funds or having to specify the individual studies one by one, or perhaps they don't want to have to specify some of their research directions yet (breast cancer, autism etc.). ~Fern