• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

KUNR Radio - WPI interview

Great stuff

I'm listening right now and this is really a great show! It's ideal to share with people who are not completely 'up to date' with all the research. I really love these guys, it''s very empowering to listen to them.

Love the thumb-hammer analogy :D If you have 100 people with a wounded thumb, and more than 85 of them have a hammer in their other hand, you might suspect causality between those two (in my own words).

This deserves a big audience!

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
I agree, this was an amazing program. If this could have been on 60 minutes or dateline or nightline or 20/20, or anywhere else where millions of viewers could have heard this great stuff! When are we going to see something on a national level???? 99% of the public still unaware of the goings on.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Have you noticed that Mike Hillerby has a radio voice? I have a radio face. :Retro wink:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Haven't listened yet but after the last excellent KUNR broadcast I emailed Mike Hillerby to thank him for featuring CFS research and told him that this is such an important story that people like me from overseas are even listening in via the internet to his show. I said I hoped he'd keep us posted with more broadcasts. He very kindly emailed me back and said that there had been a lot of interest and that he'd probably cover the story again.

He has! This works! Please, do email him with an appreciative message.

ETA: Oh! I meant I emailed Dan Erwine, the host - not Mike Hillerby, who is with WPI.

voner

I agree. Encouraging program. One thing that struck me was how confident Dr. Silverman was about their research, and that immune system dysfunctions certainly exist, and he basically said that XMRV may or may not be a causative factor, however the decision to start and antiretrovirals is a decision for a medical doctor and the patient to carefully decide. good understanding of the disease symptoms, and even empathy for the patients!

It was great to hear their comments about the overwhelming responses from patients they have gotten at WPI, and even the radio interviewer (forgot his name) commented about the overwhelming response to their last program with WPI! I also was impressed with Mike Hillerby. Great person to have out at the forefront of marketing and fundraising.

One thing I did not understand completely was -- is the WPI clinic going to be the solely for clinical trials, or are they going to treat patients not in their clinical trials also?

eric_s

How can it be that a student was able to find XMRV in clinical samples (this is how Dr. Lombardi said it all started) and people who you'd think are more experienced (Drs. McClure, van Kuppeveld, Kerr, Blomberg, Hohn, Huber etc.) aren't?
Maybe it really has to do with sample storage and preparation because even in the worst possible cohort you'd have to find some positives, if the sample number is big enough. I hope we will know soon.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just listened to this, very good - the email address to thank them is:

feedback@kunr.org

and the host's name is Dan Erwine.

I've just emailed to thank him again and to encourage him to keep following the story. He mentioned several times in the broadcast what a huge response they got to the last show, including internationally, so if like me you're not in the US, tell him so - I hope he will get a real boost from realising that he is going global with this story!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Dan Erwine just sent me a really nice reply from a more specific email address for him, which is:

derwine@kunr.org

He wrote: "Thank you for the kind words. We are privileged to have this research going on right here. I’m astonished to hear from so many people around the world responding to our little radio show."

He clearly likes having the WPI on and they clearly like being on his show - I'm sure the WPI must realise that people can listen online and that this is a great way for them to keep PWC up to date with what's going on.

Let's give him good feedback and keep this stuff coming!