• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Korean and Japanese food

fishboy9320

Very hard to know the reasons for longevity in a country. Culture, food, physical environment, healthcare, etc.

As for food, my personal guess would be a combo of portion size, cleanliness, food quality, etc. Not one element. And they seem to use a surprising amount of preservatives for a country that is very concerned with freshness.
Portion size and cleanliness doesn't matter if the food is lacking nutrients and contains toxic chemicals.
So yes it is mainly the way the food is produced. Nothing else. Because our bodies work on a biological factor, so less toxins and more nutrients = healthier body

simple as that. cleanliness wont have as much of a factor as you think, maybe it is involved in how often you are sick.

And portion size will mainly affect your weight rather than health which weight can affect health yes, but in a different way than we are talking. So no. I am sticking by the fact that it is Purely in how their food is produced from crop health to chemicals safety and amount.

fishboy9320

I don't think this is the case. People may be physically healthier due to diet and lifestyle but people I have met from Japan and South Korea are generally very stressed out. These are very success-based cultures and everyone struggles to keep up with expectations and social strictures.

Adopting the diet is probably a good idea, it is very healthy.
Yes but would they have been even worse mental wise had the diet been the same as ours? Yes thats what i think. And I have made myself clear that it is not the diet or lifestyle but in how the food is produced, Not sure why so many of you are underestimating that fact. It seems people dont like acknowleding the truth and always put up other reasonings. and it affects IQ and depending how long you eat healthy food has a prolonged effect. And use nature enviromental and human/animal friendly mostly products and chemicals etc

Last edited:

hapl808

Yes but would they have been even worse mental wise had the diet been the same as ours? Yes thats what i think. And I have made myself clear that it is not the diet or lifestyle but in how the food is produced, Not sure why so many of you are underestimating that fact. It seems people dont like acknowleding the truth and always put up other reasonings.

I think you're just getting push back because it's not that we're 'not acknowledging', but rather scientists and nutritionists and epidemiologists have studied this in depth for decades and it's extremely hard to figure out. The food supply on Okinawa is not entirely different from Hokkaido, yet Okinawa is generally more long lived. Even though in many respects Okinawa has more access to 'American' produced food. Why? I have no idea.

I've lived in Japan and am quite familiar with the food there. I think it's excellent, but they also use a lot of chemicals. Maybe their chemicals are healthier than ours - I have no idea. But it's also evident that portion size is drastically different, so I don't know how you can confidently say it has nothing to do with it. Does it? Again, I have no idea.

I do think general care for 'quality' of food ingredients in Japan is higher than the USA, but I'm not sure how we quantify care or quality as it's not like all their food is organic or that pesticide use isn't rampant. How would we apply this 'knowledge' to any other country? Singapore is similarly long lived, yet an entirely different climate, approach to food, etc.

Longevity, cancer rates, etc - all incredibly complex. Not trying to be argumentative, but you'll see I tend to push back the most whenever someone is telling me 'the truth' because I think the truth is often dynamic and poorly illuminated.

Just my personal anecdote, but I stayed in Japan for almost a month and observed no reduction in any ME/CFS symptoms, despite having a diet that mostly consisted of raw fish, raw eggs, other fish products/derivatives (like roe) and rice. However, lots of drinks you will have in Japan like coffees and teas are loaded in sugar, which can be a blessing or a curse. One thing to keep in mind is that the climate in Japan is very harsh in the summertime, and many buildings in cities are designed to be multi-story. There is often a lot of walking, climbing, and no place to sit down especially if you are relying on public transportation. This can quickly dehydrate and exhaust you, particularly in the high temperatures which are often accompanied by extreme humidity. A lot of food in Japan is very salty, which can be a good thing for people with POTS, though.

Garz

i have travelled quite a bit in Asia - including Korea, Taiwan, China, Japan, Thailand, Nepal, Singapore, Malaysia, one thing i noticed - especially in all of the big cities / built up areas - was that people tended to have the worst skin i have ever seen!

This was not so much the case in rural parts - i.e. in cultures that still eat like they did generations ago - like in rural parts of Japan - or even china - but everywhere else - were processed food had gained popularity - papa Johns - and Starbucks - and 7-11 convenience stores selling junk foods were everywhere - then people looked just as unhealthy as any other developed country - perhaps worse as the general air and water pollution issues are much worse in most big Asian cities