• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ketamine injection

hmnr asg

hi there,
I am a fellow CFS sufferer since about 2011ish. I am able to hold a job but i occasionally sleep in my car during work hours and pass out in my bed immediately after i go home. My symptoms have gotten much worse lately and I had been counting the days until I have to quit my job. For me the brain fog is just horrific and sometimes i find it hard to think.
Anyhoo, recently I decided to get a ketamine injection. The dose was 0.5mg/kg and the whole thing was pretty awesome! I felt at one with the bed i was laying on and felt pretty good overall.
Since then I feel like I have been lifted out of the mental fog, I didnt have to sleep in my car and I have been feeling like my old self!
I tried the ketamine injection for depression and nerve pain ( i have trigeminal neuralgia in addition to CFS). The injection did nothing for my nerve pain, but really helped with depression and the fatigue. I will try to add some updates as time goes on.

ps there are a few other ketamine threads on the forum.
ps I am not saying this is for everyone, obviously it may not even be for me. It has only been two days and so the effect is likely to wear off. In fact the responses to ketamine are highly variable, some could have very unpleasant experiences and bad side effects. In addition, there is no scientific reason why ketamine should help CFS. Also this is a highly controlled substance and so i am also not advocating for anyone to use this chemical which has a high potential for abuse. Just sharing my personal experience :)

H

Last edited:

hmnr asg

well, @#$% ! i am back to my old crappy, tired self. Oh well, i had two good days though!
on the upside, my depression is a lot better ( anxiety is the same, pain is the same).

I thought of removing my post since ketamine didnt really cure me or anything, but i think a negative result is still a result nonetheless. Also the fact that i was normal for two days may be of some importance. ps the title of my post wasnt "ketamine is the cure for cfs" , so i will leave the post as is :D

I hope this is of some help to someone.

H

mfairma

That's interesting and I'm sorry to hear you worsened :(

You said it helped with fatigue, so I'm curious, do you have PEM and, if so, did it help in that respect?

hmnr asg

Yes I do have PEM, I dont think you can get a diagnosis of CFS if you dont have PEM.
The first two days i just felt less fatigue and i was able to do a lot more. I stayed at work longer and when i came home i was able to talk on the phone with friends and do some house chores. So I would say it did help with PEM.

H

mfairma

That's interesting. Thank you!

You can get diagnosed with CFS despite not having PEM, through the CDC Fukuda as well as the British Oxford definitions.

Arius

Thanks for the info! I was considering ketamine injections in the early days when I thought I might just have depression. I still get depressed periodically (esp now that I can't exercise), so ketamine might still be helpful for me. Lifting your depression is not nothing!