• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Kefir-D-Lactate

I just purchased some Kefir and am wondering if all kefir has the same combination of probiotics.

I know from the thread interviewing Dr Logan that kefir didn't produce D-Lactate, but I am wondering if that has to do with the kind of kefir studied or something intrinsic to all kefir.

the reason i ask is because the Lifeway Kefir lists L. acidophilus as one of the strains used in their kefir and that that strain was shown to make D-Lactate.

Is L Acidophilus in kefir not counterproductive in the way that it is in yogurt?

just a little confused and hoping someone knows a little bit more about different types of kefir.

Kefir strains

I am not an expert on Kefir, but have read a bit and enjoy some from time to time. I do believe it is healthy for you.

I think it is just as yogurt as far as the probiotics within it. If they have added 2 probiotics, that is what is there. If they have added 10, then that is what is there.

I do not know how many probiotics are within the Kefir made with the live Kefir grains.

PWB

Kefir

I heard Dr. Cheney recommends goat kefir. I don't know if he likes any particular brand, but unsweetened is healthier.

Tammie

Winsome

Where is the paper that you read about acidophilus in yogurt being counterproductive? I had a copy of it and now I cannot find it....I was trying to explain to my Dr why taking probiotics with acidophilus had caused me a ton of problems.

Also re the kefir, I have read that if you grow your own it does not have acidophilus. I think that Lifeway just adds that to theirs, bc so many people have been jumping on the probiotic bandwagon and acidophilus is popular. I've been looking into getting some grains to grow my own, bc I have a ton of stomach issues and I absolutely cannot take probiotics that have acidophilus.

K

_Kim_

Where is the paper that you read about acidophilus in yogurt being counterproductive? I had a copy of it and now I cannot find it....I was trying to explain to my Dr why taking probiotics with acidophilus had caused me a ton of problems.

Also re the kefir, I have read that if you grow your own it does not have acidophilus. I think that Lifeway just adds that to theirs, bc so many people have been jumping on the probiotic bandwagon and acidophilus is popular. I've been looking into getting some grains to grow my own, bc I have a ton of stomach issues and I absolutely cannot take probiotics that have acidophilus.

Hi Tammie, I'm racking my brain trying to remember where the yogurt comment was made. Might have been de Meirleir commenting on this article. Does this ring a bell?

Increased D-Lactic Acid Intestinal Bacteria in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Kefir (homemade) does contain 'acidophilus'. Acidophilus is used as a general name for a group of probiotics in marketing products, however it can refer to Lactobacillus acidophilus. According to an analysis by Dom, the kefir God, Microflora of Kefir Grains contains Lactobacilli, Streptococci-Lactococci, Acetobacter and Yeasts. There's a nifty chart at that link that lists them all by their names.

I've been drinking about a quart of kefir a day for the last 8 years. I'm addicted.

Tammie

Kim

Thanks for the link.....too tired & foggy rt now to read thru it, but I think the one I saw before might have been exerts taken from this.....if not, this one does look helpful, too

as to the kefir and acidophilous.....the more I read the more conflicting info I have been finding, and I am getting confused (what you said makes sense - that's not why I'm confused).....anyway, I do trust De Meirleir's info, so if he says that kefir is ok, even though yogurt and some other forms of probiotics are not, I think I will still have to give kefir a shot

somethign has to help bc my stomach is such a mess at this point, I am extremely limited as to the foods I can manage to keep down

cigana

Hi,

Just to let you know, Sarah Myhill states in her book that kefir "contains lactobacillus plantarum, which can ferment sugar to D-lactate".

So I don't know who's right here...

Cig

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Rather than start another thread............KdM has recommended a lactobaccillus probiotic so I'm going to start taking Kefir(made with goats milk to start with despite a casein intolerance).
I looked at the Wilderness starter one - it was $5.40 for one sachet but $74 for shipping to the UK. Could anyone who uses this brand possibly send me a couple of sachets, I'll pay for P & P as well of course, I would be so grateful as it does seem one of the best.
At this time of year just a padded envelope would be okay, its pretty cold here.