• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just diagnosed with osteoporosis - ideas welcome!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have no idea if the science behind this is any good but I don't think adding dried plums to your diet can do any harm!
Prunes contain anthocyanin, the phytonutrient touted in the much more expensive blueberry. I think that alone is a good enough reason for eating them. If they help bones, so much the better!

Revel

I have no idea if the science behind this is any good but I don't think adding dried plums to your diet can do any harm! :)

It's the boron content of prunes that is deemed to be the "magic ingredient" at work in these osteoporosis studies.

Another natural foodstuff worth including in a diet to promote bone health and protect against menopausal bone deterioration is flaxseed oil (for the n-3 fatty acids).

keenly

I am a bit shocked by the result to be honest. I have 2 results of minus 3.2 (osteoporosis) and one result of minus I.9 (osteopenia). I have never had severe ME, and really am improving re what I can do with weight bearing exercise (but have had spells of some inactivity over the 10 years+ I have been ill), and do a lot of gardening in the summer and am part of a dance/theatre group. So not completely inactive ever.

I am 64 and now 15 years post menopause, so am now in the high risk category but only for my age, and no other reasons. My diet is good I feel, and I have some useful supplements like Vit D. I have now added in Vit K2 (recently) and am about to buy strontium.

My bone density scores are far worse than I expected, and were ordered by an endocrinologist who believed that I had overdosed on T3 only, over the 4 years I have been on it, as my TSH was below range. I did not agree with him, but now I feel he could have been right but I cannot know for sure. I have already reduced it, by 15mcg just in case. I had no other symptoms of being overdosed (low BP, and pulse OK, low temp) and was on T4 for 17 years prior to the change.

So... what do I do? Do I go for the bisphosphonates which I am sure I won't be able to tolerate orally anyway, and which seem to have a bad press other than mainstream. There are a couple of useful threads I have found from the past on PR on the subject. I feel sure it must be a problem longterm for many with ME/CFS for all kinds of reasons - lack of exercise, difficulty with diet and gut issues........
search Dr Jack Kruse

mermaid

search Dr Jack Kruse
Thank you for that suggestion @keenly - not someone I have read up until now but will do so. I posted this a year ago, and now at least take many of the supplements that were recommended.

I did fall downstairs in September and landed heavily on the middle of my back but did not fracture. I have learned that bone quality is as important as density but the DEXA scan only looks at the density.

keenly

Thank you for that suggestion @keenly - not someone I have read up until now but will do so. I posted this a year ago, and now at least take many of the supplements that were recommended.

I did fall downstairs in September and landed heavily on the middle of my back but did not fracture. I have learned that bone quality is as important as density but the DEXA scan only looks at the density.

Vitamin K2 is your friend!

https://www.jackkruse.com/the-osteoporosis-rx/

https://www.jackkruse.com/osteoporosis-part-one/

mermaid

@keenly yes, Vit K2 was one that I had not been on when I got the osteoporosis diagnosis, or rather I had only just started on it at that point. I have now been on it for around 14 months and intend to stay on it. Thank you for the links.

I know he promotes high fat and protein diet from what I have seen. I am dubious about going high fat as I know I have a gallstone but I do have good quality fat in my diet (coconut oil, olive oil and grass fed butter).