• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just a thought?

Wolfcub

Here, you're a pariah if you say you have seven drinks a week. If you had a skinny roll-up or two like....three years ago your doctor frowns.
It's the first question you get asked. Do you smoke? Do you drink? How much? By everyone, everywhere.

Last time I saw the doc, in 2018 I told him I always had a glass of Guinness every day about an hour before dinner. Every day for years. I meant a glass. I didn't even mean a whole can. He had eyes wide as saucers, and said "A glass?? That's two UNITS!!"

Doctors used to prescribe Guinness, and Sanatogen tonic wine. I was unwell when I was a teenager and the doctor told my mother to give me a glass of Guinness every day before dinner. It did me no harm :)

This world has gone bleak and a little bit too cold.

pamojja

Do you think all of us should start smoking, drinking and living on junk food? After all, are'nt these the ones who get all the attention by the medical profession?

The best way to get positive attention from an average doctor is by faithfully taking all drugs prescribed, or at least some of them. That gives at least a bid of appreciation to the docs strategies and ways of treating. Once I was kicked out of doctors office even before the consultation, because the doc found since I don't take anything he would presribe, why bother?

The cigs, wine and butter consumed or not most likely don't mather that much anymore. Its just like the sermon they learnt to memorize and don't pay much attention to themself anymore, since almost nobody listens.

Just read this thoughts of a young Swedish MD:
I graduated from medical school in January 2020. Long before starting to study to be a doctor, I had become interested in how diet and health are related, with a particular interest in the paleolithic diet. I think this was borne primarily out of my strong interest in evolution and biology – it just made sense that the diet humans were evolutionarily adapted to over the course of millions of years would also be the diet that is healthiest for us.

During my five and a half years of medical training, a few things became clear to me. First, while doctors receive a lot of training in how to deal with medical emergencies, they are taught extremely little about how to avoid chronic disease and maximize long term health, and much of what they are taught is wrong. Over those years, I think I received a total of three lectures about nutrition. In other words, three hours during five and a half years were spent learning about how to avoid chronic disease in the first place.

One of those lectures, during the last few months before graduating, struck a very strong chord. The lecturer showed a powerpoint slide, and said, “this is your bible. This is what you are going to tell people.”

Here’s what was on that list:
  1. Eat more fruit and vegetables.
  2. Eat more fish.
  3. Eat more whole grain cereals.
  4. Eat less sugar.
  5. Eat less saturated fat.
  6. Eat less salt.
  7. Eat low fat dairy.
  8. Eat less meat.
Since I have a strong personal interest in nutrition, and have spent a lot of time going through the science, I knew that at least half of the advice on that list was complete nonsense, not supported by the scientific evidence. And yet we were being told that this was our “bible”. Just the word chosen showed clearly that this was not science we were being taught, it was religion.

Another problem with medical school is that we were taught what to do in different situations, but we were rarely given any nuance in terms of the probability of success, or size of benefit, of a treatment. For example, we were taught that, after someone has a heart attack or a stroke, they should be prescribed a statin. But we were never told what that would really mean for the patient. How much longer could they expect to live?

...rest at site

Sledgehammer

I smoked, but not many and finally kicked them in 2007.
Now my GP doesn't know what to say, not saying I see them that much anymore though.

Booze, rarely. And if I do it's a glass of red once in a month or two then nothing for 12 months or more.
Fast food is a big no as it makes me feel as though something is crawling through my flesh, and it does the skin no good either.

Fish, can't eat it. It does the same to me as fast food, worse sometimes. And I used to be a huge fan of Tuna mixed with assorted beans. Honey in Tea instead of sugar. Lots of fruit. Soy and almond milk instead of cow juice. And a mountain of black pepper on anything and doses of nearly every herb and spice I can get my mittens on. It's all hit and miss really.

sometexan84

Quitting smoking was actually one of the things I did early on when I started feeling tired for no reason. I thought, well I give this a shot.

I successfully quit. Obviously, no symptom improvement....