• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ivabradine for the Lactose intolerant

Peyt

Update,
I went to a regular pharmacy yesterday. The lady there was nice enough to spend a lot of time trying to get info for me. First of all, apparently Ivaberdine in Italy is usually used for people who have had heart surgery and mainly prescribed in hospitals. Also, she referred to compounding pharmacy as pharma labratoria… Then she checked and although they could not give her 100% info they said they think this medication is still under what they call "copy right" in Italy.

Moof

It depends how badly lactose affects you, but is it worth trying the meds with lactase enzyme? I can get away with the occasional ice cream as a treat if I take plenty of the enzyme at the same time. My main symptom is gas and nasty stomach pain – I feel as if I've been kicked by a mule! – but that's about all. Sometimes the lactase negates this altogether, and sometimes I get a slight tummy ache. Taking another lactase tablet as soon as I feel it starting is usually enough to deal with it.

I realise some people have much more comprehensive symptoms, though, to the point where it might not be worth experimenting.

Peyt

Update,
I decided to start the Ivabradine again, the reason was, between the beta blocker and Ivabradine, at least the headaches in the Ivabradine occurred every 3-4 days and besides that there was no side effects where the beta blocker was making me fatigued and was increasing the blood pooling in my legs more and more as I went on with it.... So I started Ivabradine, got 2 headaches in 6 days and then no headache... today is the 7th day straight with no headache.... I am so excited. The blood pooling in my legs has improved by 30% and I am now going down to the gym and doing some light weight machines.
I also spoke to my neurologist and he recommended I get help from acupuncture for the small fiber neuropathy which in his experience (based on how good the acupuncturist is) can be effective for blood pooling to the legs. I just started that. According to the acupuncturist I will need at least 8 sessions to start seeing results. Luckily he accepts my insurance.