• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

It's the Antibodies Stupid, (big grins)

Because it's only in 67% of the patients. What is infecting the other 33% who don't have XMRV? What about the french study that found that most of the patients had a completely different virus MLV? Therefore XMRV antibodies aren't the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch's_Postulates

Your forgetting or not aware that upon further testing the WPI said 98% of those in the science study were positive using antibody testing and other techniques. So there really was no other 33%.

The patient advocate who has a blog and goes to all the CFS conferences to report actually has it on his blog that someone working for the government warned an NCI collaberator to distance themselves from the WPI because the WPI was going to be taken out.

Also The NIH has rejected all 6 grant applicatins the WPI has submitted to study the XMRV connection to ME/CFS. On top of that all the WPI collaberators have been denied grants to study XMRV in relation to ME/CFS.

And if that is not enough to convince you of conspiracy or scientific bias then maybe the fact that Mikovitz says all of a sudden no journals will publish the pileof research projects she has finished studying XMRV and our illness.

You say you will make your decisions on the XMRV issue by reading peer reviewed studies. But you will never see the positive studies because they are not being allowed to be published and the people who can find the virus in people with ME/CFS are being denied grant money to do the studies to begin with.

Jemal

Koch's Postulates, lol. That Wiki article says it all: they are outdated.

C

Cloud

The patient advocate who has a blog and goes to all the CFS conferences to report actually has it on his blog that someone working for the government warned an NCI collaberator to distance themselves from the WPI because the WPI was going to be taken out.

Also The NIH has rejected all 6 grant applicatins the WPI has submitted to study the XMRV connection to ME/CFS. On top of that all the WPI collaberators have been denied grants to study XMRV in relation to ME/CFS.

And if that is not enough to convince you of conspiracy or scientific bias then maybe the fact that Mikovitz says all of a sudden no journals will publish the pileof research projects she has finished studying XMRV and our illness.

You say you will make your decisions on the XMRV issue by reading peer reviewed studies. But you will never see the positive studies because they are not being allowed to be published and the people who can find the virus in people with ME/CFS are being denied grant money to do the studies to begin with.

There does seem to be a history of people disappearing who threaten government interests....but why take out little ole WPI when much Bigger money has entered the game? If it's (supposedly) about controlling the outcomes of this retro-viral research, it makes no sense to take out a small threat, when they know there is a much bigger one playing with the test tubes. It would be almost impossible for the government to hijack the research momentum at this point.....so why mess with WPI?

redo

George. Loved the title.

I agree, the serology really should be enough that the contamination critics accept it. I'd love to hear what they think about it.

redo

I am bumping this one. It has becomed even more relevant with the new studies where they've come to the contamination conclution.
Anyone who'd care to write to McClure or any of the other "et als" and ask for a comment on the serology findings.

Given that the immune responses in ME/CFS is really screwed up according to several studies... I would really like to know how specific the antibodies are for XMRV? Has it been done-- if so, just point me in that direction!

It is really terrible that the WPI can't get any grants... and people aren't publishing their work--because of that we don't know all the evidence Dr. Mikovits has --which would be really helpful at the present.

We definitely need to see the Lipkin Study go forward, the Hanson study and the Singh Study--and to see the additional results the WPI has accumulated for the last year published. Debates are important in science but I'd like to see this one laid to rest in as fast a manner as would be possible without any loss of rigor.

I feel the suffering of patients compels it.

Also, regarding the scientists who think that all the XMRV is contamination... I really am not seeing an explanation of how is the WPI able to culture infectious virions ? It is hard to understand how someone taking the position of contamination (for all the ballyhoo in the UK media--- we have to remember some very respected people have, or seem inclined to, take that position) can explain those findings?

To George: I agree... for all the manuscripts that have been written up---(didn't know there where that many--publish all of it! Even if the editor of the journal thinks the data is weak in some respect---and it is hard to believe that is the case with all of them!--publish it and then write an editorial saying why you think that--instead of just leaving all of this work unpublished)

George

waitin' fer rabbits
It is really terrible that the WPI can't get any grants... and people aren't publishing their work--because of that we don't know all the evidence Dr. Mikovits has --which would be really helpful at the present.

It's not just Dr. Mikovits that is having problems getting papers published. There are at least a dozen or more papers that have not been published including work by Dr. Singh.

We really need to stuff up every government mailbox, media mailbox and any other mailbox we can think of to insist that these studies be published.