• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Its possible to improve methylation by taking only mb12 and no 5-mthf ?

I ask that because I feel positive effect by adding mb12 and very bad effects when tried to add methylfolate....

As well S-ame makes e feel terribly sick...why ? I suppose is due to lack of methylation process completed..then more SAH and homocisteine running without capacity of being converted..I'm right?

Hi,
if adding mb12 without folate makes you feel good, and folate alone or folate+b12 makes you feel bad, maybe (in my opinion) you should have a SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), which causes a folate overload in the system. It's just one of the causes, the most frequent.. if not, I'd suggest to look for a doctor who is experienced in functional medicine to find out if there is any other problem. If the cause is a SIBO, I strongly suggest you to address the SIBO before starting with a methylation protocol ! Please, don't ask here how to fix SIBO 'cause it's a delicate subject and even without using drugs it is necessary that you, and your healthcare, take full responsibility for the treatment. But, answering to your question.. no, it's super-impossible to improve methylation by taking only b12 and no folate.. that way could be sustainable only for a short time, and the problem that caused you to do so would remain where it is now.
Hope it helps :D !
Davide.

Hi,
if adding mb12 without folate makes you feel good, and folate alone or folate+b12 makes you feel bad, maybe (in my opinion) you should have a SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), which causes a folate overload in the system. It's just one of the causes, the most frequent.. if not, I'd suggest to look for a doctor who is experienced in functional medicine to find out if there is any other problem. If the cause is a SIBO, I strongly suggest you to address the SIBO before starting with a methylation protocol ! Please, don't ask here how to fix SIBO 'cause it's a delicate subject and even without using drugs it is necessary that you, and your healthcare, take full responsibility for the treatment. But, answering to your question.. no, it's super-impossible to improve methylation by taking only b12 and no folate.. that way could be sustainable only for a short time, and the problem that caused you to do so would remain where it is now.
Hope it helps :D !
Davide.
That a avery good approach... I know that, and yes I have sibo...tried all to beat it but now I know the most important thing is to try to fix the Dysbiose in the large intestine..... trying to address sibo when there are a large intestine dysbiose will in fact worse the condition more and more... after following different herbal treatments, I know those are a bad idea..due to the duration of the protocols...we kill sensible bacteria and help to the non sensible to colonize...the result is terrible sickness..much worse than just sibo.

The best option is using rifaximine in short treatments..not for its bactericidal properties. But for the eubiotic properties...along with bifido/lactos probiotics to help to construct a friendly system.

As for the sibo and folate, then..if sibo cause folate overload..with just mb12 to help this folate to be metabolized and complete the methylation should be enough..in fact that could be the reason for what mb12 is good for me and could be enough...what u think?

I think there are better alternatives than rifaximin :) .

Personally, I don't like using drugs in the treatment of SIBO. Furthermore, we know from the literature that herbal treatments are just as effective as rifaximin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4030608/

There are, besides those mentioned in the study, other phytotherapic alternatives, even with a better safety profile. For example, oregano oil and Syzygium aromaticum. Obviously they have side effects and you have to be careful because some can be dangerous, so I can't tell you any dose here.

Regarding probiotics, it is not recommended to use them in the first phase of treatment.

As for your last question, there is no methylation that needs to be completed, but only a folate overload that needs to be managed. Using the mb12 to engage this folate is as if you had the house flooded and instead of closing the faucet you decide to open the door to let the water out :D .

Please treat your SIBO before playing with methylation.

Love and Joy..

Davide.

ah sorry I forgot.. Exercise and stress management are equally important in the management of SIBO. So in my opinion it might be good to
- workout 5 times a week,
- meditate and / or using stress reduction techniques such as EFT (which is totally free).
Bye :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarah94

I take mb12, and it improves me a lot. I don't take any methylfolate.

Pretty sure I don't have SIBO.

hb8847

I think there are better alternatives than rifaximin :) .

Personally, I don't like using drugs in the treatment of SIBO. Furthermore, we know from the literature that herbal treatments are just as effective as rifaximin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4030608/

There are, besides those mentioned in the study, other phytotherapic alternatives, even with a better safety profile. For example, oregano oil and Syzygium aromaticum. Obviously they have side effects and you have to be careful because some can be dangerous, so I can't tell you any dose here.

Regarding probiotics, it is not recommended to use them in the first phase of treatment.

As for your last question, there is no methylation that needs to be completed, but only a folate overload that needs to be managed. Using the mb12 to engage this folate is as if you had the house flooded and instead of closing the faucet you decide to open the door to let the water out :D .

Please treat your SIBO before playing with methylation.

Love and Joy..

Davide.

Hi Davide,

I know from past stool tests I have SIBO.

I suspect given my reactions to Methylfolate (bad) and methly-B12 (good) that my SIBO might be producing excess Folate and depleting my body's absorption on B12.

I understand that getting on top of SIBO is the long term solution. In the meantime is there anything you would suggest that could bring down the levels of folate in my system?

I ask because I have recently been taking a supplement containing 1000 B12 and 800 Folate. The supplement has definitely helped with my brain fog and food sensitivities (I suspect this is the B12 helping) whilst also giving me symptoms of excess folate (insomnia, depression, anxiety, inflammation). I'm also now bloating whenever I eat vegetables or anything containing folate.

If I were to take methyl-B12 on its own it could it metabolise some of the excess folate and reduce these symptoms? To date I've just been waiting for them to die down on their own accord, but it's taking a long time.

Thanks!

I ask that because I feel positive effect by adding mb12 and very bad effects when tried to add methylfolate....

As well S-ame makes e feel terribly sick...why ? I suppose is due to lack of methylation process completed..then more SAH and homocisteine running without capacity of being converted..I'm right?

I don't have any explanations for you but I have the same thing going on. I started methylcobalamin injections three weeks ago and it put me into what feels like remission (I had already gotten to extremely mild through other treatments).

I tried methyl folate a week before that and it made me much worse so I haven't tried again. I have been tested for SIBO and I don't have it.

The body is a complex system that we will never fully understand. For now I am okay with following my bodies reactions to supplements and going with what feels good.

DogLover

I don't have any explanations for you but I have the same thing going on. I started methylcobalamin injections three weeks ago and it put me into what feels like remission (I had already gotten to extremely mild through other treatments).

I tried methyl folate a week before that and it made me much worse so I haven't tried again. I have been tested for SIBO and I don't have it.

The body is a complex system that we will never fully understand. For now I am okay with following my bodies reactions to supplements and going with what feels good.

I've been through the Walsh protocol testing and treatment, and I remember them saying that I'm supposed to avoid folate. The reason is that undermethylaters who are low in serotonin are affected adversely due to the fact that folate is used for production of Serotonin Reuptake Transporters (SERTs). So, if you're low on SE, then the last thing you want to do is promote its removal. (I'm going from memory, so I might be off by a skoch.

Busson

I ask that because I feel positive effect by adding mb12 and very bad effects when tried to add methylfolate....]

Adding more folate than can be cleared (perhaps caused by a B12 inadequacy) could cause it to get trapped which is an important and unwanted mechanism. I seem to recall Fredd saying he found this could occur relatively quickly (3 or 4 days) although I don't know how typical this is for other people.

Although SAM-e helps methylation, when too much SAM-e is present it serves to reduce the action of MTHFR although I have no idea how to measure this is happening. Have you tried taking methionine (500 to 1,000mg) instead?