• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

It's affecting dogs and cats now

Do you have a pet with CFS symptoms (or animal contact)?

• Total voters

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I found this veterinary study from 2000 showing that CFS/SEIDS is infecting dog, cats, horses as well as humans. The infectious organism for the dogs, Staphylococcus xilosus, is found in mice and human skin.

(Tarello, W. CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (C.F.S.) IN A FAMILY OF DOGS
DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF 3 CASES. August 21 2000. http://www.priory.com/vet/cfsdogs.htm)

During the past decade, substantial evidence has been generated to support the existance of a
CFS-like illness among animals (Ricketts et al., 1992; Glass, 1998). Although Chronic Fatigue
Syndrome has never been clinically described in dogs, prevalence surveys indicate that a
remarkable number (97%) of patients with CFS had animal contact, particularly with dogs and
cats, and that 75% of these pets appeared sick, with signs and symptoms which mimicked CFS in
humans, strongly suggesting a zoonotic transmission (Glass,1998). A recent report describe CFS
in horses: as with the disease in humans, Equine Fatigue Syndrome is associated with long-term
exhaustion , difficult treatment and immune dysfunction (Ricketts et al., 1992).

Does anyone have pets with CFS?

Last edited:

jesse's mom

Actually my beloved cat Copper is excessively tired compared to her two year older aunt cat, Ruby. These cats have the same mother. Copper is the one who is in my bed with me all day. She still goes outside but is markedly thinner and does not hunt anymore.

There are photos of her in the 'Cats for Bores' thread.

Both her hips are out of joint now and cannot be reset. She has hypermobility.

My dog has no symptoms.

Interesting! and SAD!

ukxmrv

It's old news @gbells.

Some CFS contacted Dr Tarello long before this forum was created. There were discussions on earlier CFS groups.

It's always stuck in my mind as I homed a cat from a woman who was too sick to look after her. Then became sick myself but I could never track her down to compare notes and see if it was the same disease. The cat died of cancer eventually but was never normal.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I had chronic daily headaches for years and until I convinced a MD to put me on doxycycline for 2.5 months. The problem is that Epstein Barr virus suppresses the immune system and can give a false negative blood test for antibodies to diseases. If your pet has a disease consider that you may have it, and vice versa.

taniaaust1

I did not vote but my cat has actually been put onto the same allergy meds by the vet as my allergist put me on. So we are currently sharing the same box of meds lol.

The vet thinks my cats issues allergies are environmental due to the state my house is in. He's had to have steroids injection on 3 different times now for body sores due to the issues (and vet says he's had the maximum amount now she can give him of those).

He also has bowel issues, constipation just like me too so does not do well on dry food.

Anyway, these issues causes him to have a special diet (I'm on a special diet too). Anyway I do not think he has ME/CFS but he's certainly getting health issues and he's not an old cat.

One of my wallabies also has constant health issues (though not ME/CFS but has had one thing after another, its got 3 different illnesses in a matter of only 6mths! and that animal is only middle aged at the most or still young. I actually go to the toilet outside in the yard where they are so hopefully nothing Im doing has infected their health.)

As far as ME/CFS goes, I believe my sister got her illness from me.. she got sick after accidentally drinking out of my glass one time. Now Im a bit concerned as I topped up my cats water yesterday using my milk glass (something I have not done before)

Last edited:

Wolfcub

So strange...
I didn't realise animals could get CFS/ME, and certainly didn't realise it might be possible to transmit it between species...!
I don't have any animal companion with me any more but do look after a cat long term for a neighbour who has gone away. The cat lives at the neighbour's and I visit twice a day. Though she is 11-ish she is very healthy and active.
I also meet umpteen dogs on almost a daily basis (I am a dog-magnet apparently) All the ones I know are fit and well as far as I am aware.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
A course of CBT/GET could be useful to reverse the false illness beliefs of these animals.
Very intersting.

My doctor though thought on me: "He is almost as stupid as an animal, there is no hope for him."

(In fact animals are not as stupid as doctors think.)