• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

It is a chain link reaction.

SWAlexander

This is what scientists do. Each lab is looking for a different “culprit” and compares its findings with other experts. But, where is the beginning of the chain for so much pain?
So far, I have not found any research publication, regarding oxidant-deprived muscle weakness in combination with Spherocytosis and ME/CFS. Yes, there is mention of sickle cell disease but no details yet. Please let me know if you have knowledge about such research.

Since this team (https://sciencenorway.no/chronic-fa...failure-in-energy-supply-to-the-cells/1907778) comes close to what I experience, I send a Twitter message asking if Spherocytosis could be the reason why muscles are not getting oxidant.

Last edited:

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I’ve recently seen blood smears from ME patients and they look very different. You can see crowning and clotting of red blood cells here:
72E4183A-56CB-4ABC-8929-1168A0FEE69B.jpeg
97AB3DDE-F969-46BD-8006-D9B08CEE79AB.jpeg

SWAlexander

Thanks. Would you have a link to these findings? I know because I have thrombosis, but labs don´t know how to test for Spherocytosis. If it is not TB, cystic fibrosis that stops oxidant it could only mean the blood cells are deformed. This is how Spherocytosis looks. little round balls, unable to care oxidant. These cells die earlier than normal blood cells.
1631274897619.png

or blood if the fuel we cannot live without. if there is damage and the possibility is big and often overlooked,

example
1631275226193.png

Last edited:

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Thanks. Would you have a link to these findings? I know because I have thrombosis, but labs don´t know how to test for Spherocytosis. If it is not TB, cystic fibrosis that stops oxidant it could only mean the blood cells are deformed. This is how Spherocytosis looks. little round balls, unable to care oxidant. These cells die earlier than normal blood cells.
View attachment 44670
or blood if the fuel we cannot live without. if there is damage and the possibility is big and often overlooked,

example
View attachment 44671
I got them privately so I can’t provide any link I’m sorry.

SWAlexander

Thanks anyway. I have seen many online, but this looks very little different - it´s a wash of many different kinds. Do some look like sickle cell disease?

SWAlexander

I was also surprised to see these... But maybe it doesn't look the same for every patient

Of course, it is not the same for every patient.
A spinal tap (CSF bone marrow) could bring a answer. The same for Spherocytosis. These cells have, compared to the healty ones, a short life.
The question is how fast we can reproduce new ones to maintain oxidant supply?

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
This is how Spherocytosis looks. little round balls, unable to care oxidant. These cells die earlier than normal blood cells.
This or something like this my uncle had. My aunt told me that his red blood cells would not take up oxygen that well, according to some lab. In my view, regarding his general appearance, he could be recognized as somewhat pre-ME. I also think - just my opinion - that it's a downstream effect.

SWAlexander

Hereditary spherocytosis is a condition characterized by hemolytic anemia (when red blood cells are destroyed earlier than normal). Signs and symptoms can range from mild to severe and may include pale skin, fatigue, anemia , jaundice , gallstones, and/or enlargement of the spleen.

Fatigue may be a symptom of hereditary spherocytosis (HS) and is often associated with anemia in affected people. There is no cure for HS, but it can be treated.

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF): https://www.omf.ngo/red-blood-cell-deformability-in-me-cfs/

Many people I know show symptoms mentioned in this link but never were tested for these different kinds of blood conditions: https://www.healthline.com/health/congenital-spherocytic-anemia#symptoms

It also can lead to: "Blueberry Muffin Rash Secondary to Hereditary Spherocytosis" https://www.mdedge.com/dermatology/...uffin-rash-secondary-hereditary-spherocytosis

Last edited:

SWAlexander

Yehhhhh.
I found the reason for my thrombosis.
Absolutely great. Thank you Lancet.
This could be the reason for my Thrombosis. Have F5 and X-cromo PIGA gene.

"Chronic Budd–Chiari syndrome in paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01542-7/fulltext

Laboratory investigations showed elevated liver enzymes: aspartate aminotransferase 164 U/L (normal 13–35), alanine aminotransferase 116 U/L (normal 7–38), total bilirubin concentration 2·9 mg/dL (normal 0·2–1·3). D-dimer concentration was raised at 11 420 ng/mL (normal <500), lactate dehydrogenase was 1 111 U/L (normal 135–214), and her haemoglobin concentration was low at 9·2 g/dL (normal 11·5–15·5).

A CT scan and MRI of the patient's abdomen showed splenomegaly with a heterogeneous appearance of the liver with hypointensity along the vascular territory, tapering occlusion of the hepatic veins, and focal narrowing at the level of the confluence (figure): findings consistent with chronic Budd–Chiari syndrome.

Now all I have to do is find a doctor who understands the treatment instruction.

Reading_Steiner

I have enlargement of the spleen confirmed by CT Scan. They won't refer me to heamotology until I did more blood test to look for viruses, I haven't found the motivation to do that yet though, as i've done many blood tests in the past and got the hepatitis test last year.

SWAlexander

I have enlargement of the spleen confirmed by CT Scan. They won't refer me to heamotology until I did more blood test to look for viruses, I haven't found the motivation to do that yet though, as i've done many blood tests in the past and got the hepatitis test last year.

Maybe more tests could reveal a secondary reason for an enlarged spleen. It does not always need to come to a splenectomy.

SWAlexander

Found some reference regarding enlarged spleen. It could be "Hemoglobin C disease"
What is the link between the β globin gene and red blood cells?

The beta globin protein is one of the subunits of hemoglobin, a protein necessary for the oxygen-carrying function of red blood cells. People with the sickle cell mutation in both copies of the HBB gene produce proteins that clump together and lead to changes in the shape and behavior of red blood cells.
more at: https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/gene/hbb/

SWAlexander

When I posted my suspicion (Sep 10, 2021) the first time about blood platelets deformation, I had no idea that I have in fact antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) and thrombosis.
Ever since I learn how many organs are affected, especially related to Covid and ME/CFS. According to several patients, doctors refuse to test because they don´t know how to deal with the lab results or treat the illness and appointments with a hematologist are weeks away.