• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Israeli Scientists Say They Will Have A Complete Cure For Cancer Within A Year

Jackb23

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robins..._medium=social&utm_term=Valerie/#235f9b7f3621

May just be a whole lot of bloviation, but a joyful thought at the least. Seems like they are drawing apon previous techniques, but with more fire power. I realize that whenever someone writes a title like this, it is most likely click bait. So for what it’s worth:

“In contrast, MuTaTo is using a combination of several cancer-targeting peptides for each cancer cell at the same time, combined with a strong peptide toxin that would kill cancer cells specifically,” Morad said. “By using at least three targeting peptides on the same structure with a strong toxin, we made sure that the treatment will not be affected by mutations; cancer cells can mutate in such a way that targeted receptors are dropped by the cancer.”

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Wired has an article about the announcement, and the lack of real substance behind it. "The 'complete' cancer cure story is both bogus and tragic."

A few quotes from the story:
On Monday, The Jerusalem Post, a centrist Israeli newspaper, published an online story profiling a small company called Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies that has been working on a potential anti-cancer drug cocktail since 2000. It was somewhat cautiously headlined “A Cure for Cancer? Israeli Scientists Think They Found One,” and relied almost entirely on an interview with the company’s board chairman, Dan Aridor, one of just three individuals listed on AEBi’s website. In it, Aridor made a series of sweeping claims, including this eye-popper: “We believe we will offer in a year’s time a complete cure for cancer.”

It was an especially brash move considering the company has not yet conducted a single trial in humans, or published an ounce of data from its completed studies of petri dish cells and rodents in cages. Under normal drug development proceedings, a pharmaceutical startup would submit such pre-clinical work to peer-review to support any claims and use it to drum up funding for clinical testing. AEBi’s PR move might be an attempt at a shortcut. In an interview on Tuesday, the company’s founder and CEO Ilan Morad told the Times of Israel that lack of cash flow is the reason AEBi has elected not to publish data.

The original Jerusalem Post article did not interview any outside experts in the oncology field. Nor did it inject any skepticism about the gap between speculative, pre-clinical work in controlled laboratory environments and a universal cure on a twelve-month timeline. Anyone who knows anything about oncology will tell you that a vast number of promising treatments fail human testing. One recent estimate put success rates for cancer drugs getting to market at a dismal 3.4 percent.

By Tuesday morning, Fox News had published its own report. The story did add some caveats, including a strongly worded comment emailed from a New York oncology expert, who called AEBi’s claim likely to be “yet another in a long line of spurious, irresponsible, and ultimately cruel false promises for cancer patients.”

While many major news outlets ignored the story, the New York Post and Forbes both published their own glowing versions, based largely on the Jerusalem Post’s reporting. But within 24 hours, both sites had come out with new, decidedly less rosy stories, in which they (gasp!) interviewed cancer experts. Forbes actually published two. One by the original story’s author was entitled “Experts Decry Israeli Team’s Claims That They Have Found The Cure For Cancer,” and another, headlined even more explicitly: “An Israeli Company Claims That They Will Have A Cure For Cancer In A Year. Don’t Believe Them.”

YippeeKi YOW !!

@jaybee00
Hard to say. It may have delayed the onset of the worst of this, but I was in so much misery before I was finally diagnosed and during chemo that I really don't know.

Am going to be tied up for awhile with some tedious but has-to-be-done stuff, so if you hit the 'like' button, I'll get an alert that you've read this and I'll be able to get back to you more quickly.