• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is what's happing to me POTS or something else (symptoms) ?

Bansaw

Does this sound like POTS to you:

I'm having fatigue and heart palpitations and breathing issues after my bowel movement at lunchtime.
I don't know if its the bowl movement or the fact that I was sitting and got up quickly.
I just walked 10 mins to work during which time I felt like pausing and resting.

When I walk in the office and sit down I feel much better.

Any ideas? (and what can I do about it?)

Booble

I'm having fatigue and heart palpitations and breathing issues after my bowel movement at lunchtime.
I don't know if its the bowl movement or the fact that I was sitting and got up quickly.
I just walked 10 mins to work during which time I felt like pausing and resting.

Oh, oh, oh, *raising hand* I know this one.
Actually I don't know if it's specifically POTS but I do know that it's related to the vagus nerve. The bowel movement stimulates the nerve and I forget exactly why but it lowers your Blood Pressure which then makes your heart rate increase.

If it makes you feel any better, about 80% of the time I poop, I feel wipes out and awful. I can be having a physically good morning and then make a poop, and I'm suddenly EXHAUSTED fatigue wiped out.

Along with the vagus nerve I think there is something going on about your intestines telling your brain that they are empty and need to be filled and so you can get lightheaded from that too. But that part is just my own guessing from my body.

Edited to add: I'm also a POTS person.

Last edited:

Bansaw

Along with the vagus nerve I think there is something going on about your intestines telling your brain that they are empty and need to be filled and so you can get lightheaded from that too. But that part is just my own guessing from my body.
I went to the Dr. today, got lots of tests and some more next week to come.
Are you doing anything to help your Vagus nerve issue?

Booble

>>>Are you doing anything to help your Vagus nerve issue?<<<

No.

I try little work arounds. Have some food ready to eat after and eat even if I'm fatigued/nauseous. Try go BM at night rather than morning so it doesn't matter if I get extra fatigued, wait til after an important work call to go if possible.

I also make sure I don't strain even the least little bit.....and I wait a few minutes before I stand up after I'm done.

I've thought about keeping a food journal to see what I eat on the 20% of the good times where I poop and don't get the fatigue. But I haven't done it.

If your doc has any good ideas I'm all ears. Good luck!

Booble

By the way, are you female or male? I always have a suspicion that for me it might also be related to adhesions on my various parts from endometriosis. When I had surgery, my docs said it was like a warzone in there.

Bansaw

By the way, are you female or male? I always have a suspicion that for me it might also be related to adhesions on my various parts from endometriosis. When I had surgery, my docs said it was like a warzone in there.
I'm male

livinglighter

Sounds like an ANS issue to me. POTS is common in CFS. OI even more so.