• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is wearing sunglasses and ear protection a helpful form of rest?

I am wondering if attenuating sensory input would help your brain rest.

Is it a good idea for those with mild sensory sensitivity to use sunglasses and/or ear protection? How is resting from sensory input different from not exercising.

I understand for most conditions there would be concern of becoming hypersensitive or deconditioning. However with CFS, resting is essential.

Is this a terrible idea or could it be helpful?

lafarfelue

It seems to me to be quite common for pwME to use these to reduce sensory input, whether to help with resting or to keep PEM at bay as much as possible.

I've found an eyemask and earplugs to be integral when I've been badly crashed and/or bedbound. I now also use noise cancelling headphones when out and about, or at work.

Another thing that you might consider are weights to reduce proprioceptive input. This is something I've seen mentioned by other people with fatigue-causing illnesses (along with ear and eye protection). It is common for autistic people to also reduce proprioceptive input to help calm their systems.

imo, anything that calms the sympathetic nervous system (and helps boost the parasympathetic nervous system) is good for us. It's easy enough to test, too!

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I am wondering if attenuating sensory input would help your brain rest.

It can help it rest, and in some cases prevent brain damage for a person who has severe hypersensitivity to input. This old article provides information from Dr. Cheney about "excitatory neurotoxicity".

Extract from the article:
In CFIDS, NMDA is more activated than GABA, lowering the threshold potential. This causes neurons to fire with very little stimulation, resulting in sensory overload. This condition of excitatory neurotoxicity is dangerous. Dr. Cheney emphasizes that in an attempt to protect itself, the body will eventually kill neurons that fire excessively. He states that brain cell loss can result if this condition isn’t addressed.

I've found an eyemask and earplugs to be integral when I've been badly crashed and/or bedbound.

Me too. During the times when I'm feeling oversensitive, my brain actually feels more calm when the sensory input is reduced.

Another thing that you might consider are weights to reduce proprioceptive input.

I use a weighted blanket to sleep a little better at night. It can also be somewhat calming to lie under during the day.

jesse's mom

When I rest I put a scarf over my eyes and run a fan in my room, so that I can listen to that white noise. I recover this way much faster than watching TV or sitting on the porch.

I hope that is what you mean
I use a weighted blanket to sleep a little better at night. It can also be somewhat calming to lie under during the day.
I also bought a weighted blanket and I don't know what I did without it!

I wear earplugs and sunglasses to go to the Dr also.

I always wear a hat outside as well.