• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Is there any association between irritable bowel syndrome subgroups and autonomous dysfunction"

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27097952

Thought this might be of interest to those who have both IBS and POTS / OI
as part of their ME / CFS

Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2016 Apr;20(7):1315-22.
Is there any association between irritable bowel syndrome subgroups and autonomous dysfunction.
Yildirim AE1, Korkmaz M, Altun R, Sandikçi SC, Ocal S, Selçuk H.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common functional intestinal disorder. Although there are marked improvements in the conceptualization of IBS pathophysiology in brain-intestinal interaction disorder, there is no definite consensus in the role of autonomic dysfunction (AD) in disease development and symptom progression. The aim of this study was to evaluate autonomous dysfunction in IBS subgroups.

PATIENTS AND METHODS:
A total of 50 patients and 49 healthy controls were included. IBS subgroup types and demographic characteristics of patients were recorded. AD investigations were made up of parasympathetic and sympathetic tests.

RESULTS:
There was no statistically significant difference was determined between the groups in accordance to demographic characteristics such as age, gender, BMI and resting heart rate (p > 0.05). Three parasympathetic and one sympathetic autonomic neuropathy tests were found significantly different (respectively p < 0.001, p = 0.001, p = 0.016, p < 0.001, p = 0.375). There were significant decreases in parasympathetic tests in IBS-C patients; however, in the control group, there were significant decreases in sympathetic tests when compared with IBS-D patients (p < 0.001). The severity of AD in IBS-C subgroup was more pronounced than the IBS-D subgroup. No correlation was determined between dysautonomia and disease duration (p > 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS:
AD may have a role in IBS pathophysiology. Deterioration of the autonomous system not only affects the gastrointestinal system but also other systems including the cardiovascular system. Patients may also be susceptible to more diverse problems.

taniaaust1

"The severity of AD in IBS-C subgroup was more pronounced than the IBS-D subgroup."

Thanks, I found that quite interesting as I have extremely severe autonomic dysfunction (its causing me to end up in hospital a lot) and have had severe IBS-C too (I had my bowel prolapse due to it). So its not surprising for me to read that these things correspond

aimossy

This makes me wonder about the paradoxical responses people have to supplements many of us try out, decreases in parasympathetic vs sympathetic activity. That sounds mad and very broad brush I'm sure, but I find this interesting.

adreno

PR activist
Deterioration of the autonomous system not only affects the gastrointestinal system but also other systems including the cardiovascular system.
Who says the causal direction goes this way?