• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there a link between XMRV, HERV's and Psoriasis?

Bob

I found this quite interesting because of the possible research connections...

This is some research from 2005 that I've just come across...
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2005.06555.x/full

The researchers were working on the possibility that psoriasis might be induced by Human Endogenous Retrovirus (HERV) gene expression, and their research confirmed that HERV sequences were expressed in 'psoriatic lesions'...

This has made me think of two other bits of research...

Judy Mikovits has said that when she was recently researching XMRV running in families, she discovered that some of the family members who were XMRV carriers, but who didn't have ME, had psoriasis (and others had autism and gluten intolerance).

And Brigitte Huber is doing research on HERV's in ME patients and says she is interested to see if there is an interaction between between HERV-K18 and XMRV. Her current research is looking at a possible interaction between HERV-K18, EBV and ME.

So I wonder if there is a link between XMRV, HERV's and psoriasis?

My imagination is wondering if maybe there is an interaction between XMRV and HERV's which possibly increases the expression of HERV's, inducing psoriasis in some XMRV carriers...

This is wild speculation of course, but an interesting thought!

I am particularly interested in Judy's psoriasis findings, because my mother has it.

I have Crohn's Disease and Psoriasis.

I have treated for XMRV using an experimental, unapproved treatment, which made my intestinal tract sore in the beginning, and the longer term result was a quicker digestive process.

What the treatment did not do was eliminate my Psoriasis. Of course, I do not know if I had the virus to begin with, or if the treatment killed all of the virus, if I did have it.

Mt brother and Father both have Psoriasis, and my Daughter has Celiac, so I find this research quite compelling.

Dan