• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Roemheld Syndrome due to MCAS?

MCASMike

Not only do I have bloating and tachycardia, but when I was in my young teen years, and first lost consciousness after developing light-headedness and cold/clamy skin, one doctor around that time said something about "vaso-vagal stimulation," and I'm wondering what role the vagus nerve (or perhaps more precisely, the stimulation of it by mast cell products) is playing in my present condition, which I'd guess is likely Hyperadrenergic POTS. Here's an article on the syndrome - any thoughts or personal experiences?

https://myacare.com/procedure/roemheld-syndrome-treatment

Last edited:

katabasis

There's probably a connection between the two, but while Roemheld Syndrome could be due to MCAS, it seems just as likely to me that they are both the result of a common factor. It's likely possible for inflammatory mediators that are released from mast cells to damage the vagus nerve, but the vagus nerve also plays a role in mediating mast cell degranulation. I'd be inclined to think of autonomic neuropathy as being the initial problem, and then subsequently it forms a vicious cycle with MCAS.

MCASMike

There's probably a connection between the two, but while Roemheld Syndrome could be due to MCAS, it seems just as likely to me that they are both the result of a common factor. It's likely possible for inflammatory mediators that are released from mast cells to damage the vagus nerve, but the vagus nerve also plays a role in mediating mast cell degranulation. I'd be inclined to think of autonomic neuropathy as being the initial problem, and then subsequently it forms a vicious cycle with MCAS.

In the literature on Hyperadrenergic POTS, sweating is also listed as a symptom, but I rarely sweat in any detectable way, and that's been true for many years. Is that likely a "victim" of MCAS as well?

MCASMike

I found this video by a cardiologist. Apparently he is discussing something similar to or identical to Roemheld Syndrome, Gastrocardiac Syndrome: