• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Prostate Cancer an Infectious Disease? ( XMRV)

ixchelkali

I was interested in his summary of the disease progression in the macaque monkey study. I read about that when the study came out, but this presentation was easier to understand. Especially interesting was that at first XMRV was found in white blood cells, specifically CD4+ T cells and K cells (K cells??? I've got to look that up). Immediately after, it goes to the prostate and the brain, lymphoid organs, spleen, bone marrow, small and large intestine, lung and pancreas.

At 5 months, the prostate is clear, but stromal cells are infected. XMRV is then found in lymphoid organs, large & small intestines, lung (macrophages), testis, seminal vesicles, vagina & cervix (epithelium).

I'm not sure how this relates to his comment speculating that in prostate cancer patients, the virus persists in those with poor antiviral defenses. It sounds like in the macaques, the infection persisted in all of them, but shifted locations. I don't remember that the macaques were low in antiviral defenses.

lennyh

lennyh
I have been fighting Prostate Cancer for more than 14 years and CFS for the last year. For the last 10 years I have been using Casodex. Casodex does not stop the production of testosterone, but covers the receptors of the cancer cells so that the testosterone can get to them. Prostate Cancer requires testosterone to multiply
Whether Casodex stops XMRV or not, I cannot say except that CFS started with me after 9 years of me taking the drug

Lennyh

Anika

This was an excellent presentation! Thanks for finding and posting. I may have to watch a second and third time.

I noticed the seminar at which this was presented was about 3 weeks ago. Klein stated clearly there was strong evidence for blood transmissibility based on the WPI demonstration showing that blood from a CFS patient with XMRV infected prostate cells. With that type of public info coming out again in a mainstream medical forum after the Science article has had time to "percolate," it's no surprise that the U.S. blood group came out against blood donations by CFSers, at least for now.

I was particularly interested in the link to testosterone / androgens. Women also have androgen hormone issues, but I can't remember the details, even though I've reread several articles about this recently. We should revive or start a new thread on this issue.

Klein also emphasized that they are finding some more sequence variation in XMRV, and that other well-known cancer causing viruses have distinct geographic patterns.

usedtobeperkytina

Going to show this to my husband.

Also, ditto, most concise and clear presentation I have ever seen. Moved along quickly, but still easy to understand.

I also noticed he got off the podium quickly.

Tina

Gemini

Dr. Klein's video-- A+

Outstanding content, organization, visuals, delivery, theme, & title.
(And extra points for ME/CFS data! :))

Gemini

liverock

I have been fighting Prostate Cancer for more than 14 years and CFS for the last year. For the last 10 years I have been using Casodex. Casodex does not stop the production of testosterone, but covers the receptors of the cancer cells so that the testosterone can get to them. Prostate Cancer requires testosterone to multiply
Whether Casodex stops XMRV or not, I cannot say except that CFS started with me after 9 years of me taking the drug

Lennyh

Curcumin has been found to be an effective androgen receptor blocker in prostate cancer cell studies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18676361

Lennyh

Welcome to the forums lennyh. I imagine you must be very interested in XMRV! I hope you'll stick around and share more of your experience. Do you have any clues what's going on around XMRV and ME/CFS research in Israel? It would be interesting to hear how ME/CFS is regarded and treated there.

I'd echo what liverock said about curcumin, it seems to be a treatment that at least one WPI-related physician has recommended to their patients since the XMRV finding. Sorry, can't remember the source for that info, it was a patient who posted here I think. Curcumin and anti-inflammatories were the main recommendations as I recall.

Object not found.

Hoping someone can help me. yesterday, I posted this vid on my blog, and I watched it in English... such a great video. Today, when I went to mail it to contacts, it is in spanish. Same link. lol. Any clues?

EDIT: I fyou go here first:

ok, if you go here first, there's is the option of hearing it in elnglish vs. spanish :)

http://webcasts.prous.com/AUA2010/html/1-en/template.aspx?section=20&idl=11920&idcl=1&eid=574

there is an option to hear it in English or spanish :+)