• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is long-term Dehydration possible and can it be overcome ?

Bansaw

I often feel heavy-headed and mentally tired as well as physically tired.

I've found that drinking a few glasses of water brings an immediate relief. Not a long term relief but a noticeable boost.

Is it possible I have chronic dehydration, and is it possible to overcome that ?
I do have fluids every day like tea and coffee (decaf).
When I have fully caffeinated do react very badly to it (immediate mental fogginess, fatigue).

I don't over-sweat, I have a IT desk job. So I don't think my body is using a whole lot of water.
Have I got some water/hydration issues going on I wonder?

Here are some of the symptoms. I only have muscle weakness and fatigue tho.
https://www.healthline.com/health/chronic-dehydration#causes
  • dry or flaky skin
  • constipation
  • constant fatigue
  • ongoing muscle weakness
  • frequent headaches

I did live in Africa for 7 years, but I think I kept hydrated Ok, and my body seemed to acclimatize(?)

(I've a habit of not breathing deeply - not because I am restricted, just bad habit. Dont know if thats connected.)

Last edited:

Bansaw

Chronic dehydration is very possibly a contributing factor, and as such also can be overcome. See the excellent article of Nickolas Gonzales to this effect: https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/water-energy-and-perils-dehydration

As with anything in nutrition, the need of water can be highly individual.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. An intake of water does seem to give me an noticeable immediate boost.
I've read elsewhere that 8 glasses per day is a myth, so opinion is divided on it.
I am slightly worried about flushing out important minerals etc. because my absorption is not the best. But I am adding some salt to the water which will hopefully make up for it.

pamojja

I've read elsewhere that 8 glasses per day is a myth, so opinion is divided on it.

As said, I too believe needs could be highly individual. Though a trial in higher intake of salted water is that inexpensive and harmless (compared to some experimental drugs or supplements) - I think its always worthwhile.