• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it safe to fly with Emf sensitivity and CFS?

southwestforests

It has been a couple decades since I've flown anywhere and now with CFS/ME, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, all added on top of autism, I just flat will not fly any more, even with as much as I like airplanes.

The EMF sensitivity thing has me thinking this about cabin lighting might be worth reading,
https://www.ee.co.za/article/on-the-art-of-aircraft-interior-lighting.html
There appears to be an ongoing move from flourescent lighting to LED lighting.

Other considerations:
1) How well does your body handle being shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of people wearing only God knows how many different colognes and perfumes?
2) How well does your system handle crowding and stress?
3) Do you foresee any problems with getting the mandatory groping by TSA security?

southwestforests

And I suggest reading this, http://www.listencarefully.org/why-airplanes-are-loud/
09 Jun 2015
During a recent business trip to visit our headquarters in Minneapolis, I was reminded how loud traveling can be.
An infant screamed into her mother’s ear (repeatedly), the airplane engine hummed for three hours, and loudspeaker announcements jolted me from my seat without warning.
So I did some more research to find out just how loud my trip was, and how it could affect my long-term hearing health.

And if there is little or no previous familiarity with flying, this may be useful,
https://www.backpackertravel.org/random/airplane-noises-explained-nervous-traveler/
There are countless sensations and noises involved in the operation of an aircraft before, during, and after a flight. Modern airplanes are highly complex machines with an array of moving parts that make noise and have attendant sensations.
The noises and sensations experienced in flight will be expounded upon a logical order from the start to the finish, with the endgame of helping a new or nervous flier get a greater understanding of the processes of flight and what to expect.

Another presentation of similar, with rather more sound recordings of different things,
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/airplane-sounds-decoded-180961044/

Last edited:

southwestforests

This is also something to note: https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2019/06/19/why-your-senses-go-haywire-plane/
Why your emotions and senses go haywire on a plane

Jodi De Luca, a clinical psychologist in Colorado who considers the effect of altitude on emotions one of her areas of interest, says passengers might feel a lack of control over their environment or a sense of anxiety that something bad could happen on the plane. That prompts the brain to produce a stress hormone, which can result in an increased heart rate and faster breathing.

“It’s not just psychological or emotional, it’s also a physical and physiological event. It’s never any one variable. And that’s important,” she says. “We are cognitively, psychologically, emotionally [compromised], and now we’re physiologically compromised. The setup is perfect for an emotional vulnerability.”

Combine that with possible fatigue, plus immobilization, high altitude, reduced oxygen in the blood and dehydration due to dry air, and it’s a wonder everyone isn’t blubbering constantly.

Outside of mealtimes, just sitting on a plane can be uncomfortable thanks to the surroundings.

According to the World Health Organization, when a plane is at its typical cruising altitude of 36,000 to 40,000 feet, the air pressure in the cabin is equivalent to between 6,000 and 8,000 feet above sea level. The blood carries less oxygen than it would at sea level, a condition known as hypoxia, but the agency says healthy passengers usually tolerate the effects well.

However, there are still irritations. A passenger’s sense of balance can be thrown off by the movement of the plane, leading to motion sickness. And the cool, dry air in the cabin can dry out the eyes, nasal passages and mouth. Background noise is a constant, says Clayton Cowl, chair of the division of preventive, occupational and aerospace medicine at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

"There's a lot of white noise in a plane,” he says. “It’s not at a frequency type that would cause hearing loss, but it certainly is something that over time your senses adapt to.”

The change in cabin pressure can also cause gas in the body to expand, which leads to that familiar pain and feeling of blockage in the ears — as well as reduced hearing. Didi Aaftink, an occupational health physician who worked for the Dutch airline KLM for more than 12 years, says she frequently fielded questions about ear pain and airplanes.

southwestforests

And now for something a bit more fun, https://www.flightradar24.com/
The world's most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.
About Flightradar24
Flightradar24 is a global flight tracking service that provides you with real-time information about thousands of aircraft around the world. Flightradar24 tracks 180,000+ flights, from 1,200+ airlines, flying to or from 4,000+ airports around the world in real time. Our service is currently available online and for your iOS or Android device.

antares4141

Toxic air syndrome scares me, I would still hop onto a plane if I needed to. My limited understanding is that oil leaking from the bearings for the turbo fans in the engine go bad occasionally.

When this happens because the air intake happens to be inside the cowling of the motor it contaminates the cabin air. And oil alone is a very very bad thing to have inside your lungs but there are somehow organophosphates and other toxins in the oil which makes it even worse.

I suspect it's rare when this happens. That is seals going bad on berings resulting in cabin air contamination resulting in injury's. But when it does it's probably going to be very hard to prove. And when it can be proven the victims will be bought off with a stipulation that there taking any kind of compensatory damage that they don't talk about the verdict of their case.

Maybe airlines have quietly addressed this issue by relocating the air intake? Monitoring equipment that imediatly alerts captain of the problem when it arrises? I don't know.

But a possible risk you might want to consider.

Me I wouldn't totally discount the risk, it does have some influence on weather I would get in a plane or not. And otherwise I love to fly!

Davsey27

Thanks for the reply guys

Deep vein thrombosis and red blood cell stickiness/hypoxia is one of my concerns

Dr jack kruse reccomend high dose ubiqinol 700 mg then 1 every hour of the flight in is protocol

I am 34 years old and am concerned that something in the body will be exposed at high altitude due to mitochondria or something related to oxidative stress

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw3htQ3YhnKY1SiK7jeOirlB&cshid=1576257009707

southwestforests

Thanks for the reply guys
Welcome. :)
And now, an answer to a question you didn't ask, but a perhaps fun bit of airliner manufacture trivia:

Before you rode the plane, your plane, or at least part of it, may have ridden a train! Yes, really!
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/719456/
A Boeing 737 fuselage heads west on a BNSF priority freight at Bearmouth, Montana, on September 26, 2014. This fuselage is built by Spirit AeroSystems, and is being shipped from Wichita, Kansas to Boeing in Renton, Washington, for final assembly. The big load is riding specially-modified BNSF 89-foot flatcar No. 800122 and besides being an oversize load width-wise, the length of the fuselage is over 100 feet, so idler flatcars are also used for each one, under the tail section. The front of the flatcar is equipped with special framing to protect the oversize load during shipment. The “green” color of these fuselages is a thin protective coating applied at the factory to prevent the aluminum skin from oxidizing during shipment, and is removed before the airplane is painted.

And this will allow comparison of Boeing 737 fuselages to Amtrak cars,
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/709265/
BNSF's "rocket" pulls Boeing 737 fuselages south through Seattle towards Renton with a classic Burlington Northern painted GP38-2 leading.