• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it possible heavy metals from titanium could contribute to CFS/ME?

hello,
I would like to know if surgical metal could aggravate the symptoms of CFS. I am thinking of removing a wire that sews my chest due to a past operation. Has anyone gotten better after removing surgical metal from their body? Did anyone feel worse? I would be very grateful if you could share your experiences with me.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I can't comment on surgical metals but I did have 10 mercury amalgam fillings removed.

Unfortunately, doing so didn't improve my ME/CFS at all.

In fact the dentist took my back teeth out of occlusion, shifting my midline and making my TMJ/TMD much worse. It's also created swallowing difficulties for me.

Not to mention the exorbitant cost of the initial work and then the cost of a splint (and later a replacement splint) plus a year of physical therapy means I cannot afford to find a dentist to try and fix it now. :(

Anyway, for me it was a bad decision.

If I could go back in time and make the choice again knowing what I do now, I would keep the fillings but, that's just me.

Hope you can figure out what is best for your situation.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm sorry I didn't help you. I hope that little by little you can regain your health🙏

Wishful

I'm no expert on it, but titanium seems to be very safe in the body. I don't think they use any heavy metals as alloying agents in surgical titanium. While it's probably not 100.000% sure that titanium wire can't possibly increase ME symptoms, I think it's extremely unlikely, and the possibility for increasing ME symptoms from additional surgery is much higher.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
hello,
I would like to know if surgical metal could aggravate the symptoms of CFS. I am thinking of removing a wire that sews my chest due to a past operation. Has anyone gotten better after removing surgical metal from their body? Did anyone feel worse? I would be very grateful if you could share your experiences with me.
I’ve got two separate thingies inside made of surgical titanium. They were placed separately long after the start of ME/CFS and I haven’t noticed a thing.

Learner1

hello,
I think it depends on the person and their situation. I know someone who had a significant problem with titanium and did better once it was removed from their body. I have a titanium port in my chest, the size of a 2 liter bottle cap that I haven't had any problems with.