• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is excitotoxicity essentially mean high anxiety levels?

In the model of GR resistance and low TDO, the body has more tryptophan reserve for serotonin and also for IDO(as a compensating mechanism?). What I mean is, what if a person has got high levels of Kynurenine pathway metabolites such as Kynurenic acid and quinolonic acid, what would be the final outcome? High or low levels of anxiety?

Is it possible to get excitotoxic brain damage eventhough while absense of anxiety?

What I mean by damage is, permanent drop in intelligence/cognitive impairment. It's much different than brainfog. Also I have never had a remission from my disease.

Our results show that CHD patients with depression had higher levels of CRP, IL-6 gene expression, and VEGF compared with CHD non-depressed, as well as lower plasma and saliva cortisol levels. The CHD depressed group also exhibited a reduction in GR expression and sensitivity. Finally, tryptophan levels were significantly lower in patients with depression, who also showed an increased kynurenine/tryptophan ratio. In conclusion, CHD patients with depression had elevated levels of inflammation in the context of HPA axis hypoactivity, GR resistance, and increased activation of the kynurenine pathway. Reduced cortisol bioavailability and attenuated glucocorticoid responsiveness due to decreased expression and sensitivity of GR may lead to insufficient glucocorticoid signaling and thus elevation of inflammation in these patients
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25683698/

Last edited by a moderator:

Wishful

I believe that my ME involves elevated levels of neurotoxic kynurenines, particularly QUIN. I haven't noticed any change in anxiety level. Taking niacin would make me feel strongly suicidal. I think that the absence of dietary niacin was allowing my cells to convert excess QUIN to niacin, so adding dietary niacin increased QUIN, which is known to cause suicidal moods.

I don't think I've had any permanent damage to IQ. I can work through complex problems; I just have trouble finding the mental willpower to do so. I haven't come across any information about elevated kynurenines causing permanent damage.

In one paper, I found this: "To the extent that chronic stress results in GCR, one might expect insufficient control over the inflammatory response to the infection, and consequently a greater expression of the signs and symptoms of disease."

Well, I've only had two or three viral infections since developing ME in 2001, and if anything my 'signs and symptoms' from them were lower than typical, so by that my GR must be doing awesomely. :smug:

I suggest not getting too stressed out by complicated (and maybe not well proven) theories based on disorders other than ME. What applies to heart disease patients may not apply to patients with other diseases.

FWIW, my serum KNY/TRP ratio was lower than normal, but that says nothing about cerebral KYN/TRP ratio because some of the kynurenines don't cross the BBB easily.

Unless you're clearly declining in IQ, I wouldn't worry about a paper about heart disease.

I understand. Thanks for your notice.

I don't think I've had any permanent damage to IQ. I can work through complex problems; I just have trouble finding the mental willpower to do so.

Then, I'm in a really bad situation. Because what I have is definitely not a brain fog or lack of willpower.

I found this. I'm planning to try licorice root 'tea'. But I Can't get any kudzu root here.

https://www.hackstasis.com/threads/upregulated-gr-cortisol-receptor-theory.1648/