• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Diamox OK when you have Sjogren's Syndrome?

I have a family member who has also been diagnosed with POTS and Sjogren's, and she has been experiencing dry eye for some time (and all the unpleasantness that comes with it). Since the more standard treatments for POTS and Sjogren's haven't worked, her neurologist recommended Diamox since he has seen empirically that it provides some symptom relief in some patients. As a side note: Dr. Dianna Driscoll suggests that one use Diamox when one has intracranial hypertension. It's interesting that the neurologist has seen Diamox offer some symptomatic relief even in those people without a diagnosis of intracranial hypertension.

We looked into Diamox and what it does is to dry out the fluid in the eye, among things. It's not just a side effect, but rather a mechanism of action. So, with a diagnosis of Sjogren's and the dry eye that it brings, it looks like this is not the drug for her. It might help with some symptoms, but it could worsen others.

Does anyone have any experience or know of anyone with Sjogren's who has ever tried this?

@DrDiana Not sure if you are active on this site any more, but would appreciate your opinion on the above if you are.

Hmm.... It seems I stumped this forum without meaning to. I was hoping to be able to alert Dr. Driscoll to this posting by emailing her practice. But, it seems they only list a phone number to contact her at POTS Care. Will need to do that and/or also post to a Sjogren's site. :)