• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is CFS/Fibro just Thyroid Resistance?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Mark, thanks for posting this. I have wondered if my pain is because I am thyroid hormone resistant or the Synthroid just is not working for me. I am currently taking 150 mcg.

I had a TPPO antibody test after I had taken synthroid for several years and it was up above 500. I was told by the endocrinologist that my immune system would stop attacking my thyroid after I had taken synthroid for a few months. That never happened.

It was right after I started taking synthroid that I developed Fibromyalgia. I am not sure about ME/CFIDS, but here are some interesting journal articles regarding that statics on how many with FMS have thyroid disease and visa versa:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10067-006-0237-y
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00296-010-1620-1

I had an article that described what happens when the thyroid is continually attacked by the immune system. It kicks out a certain hormone that can cause a person to be chronically ill. Of course, I cannot find it right now, but I will keep on looking.

drob31

Any new information from Cigana?

I have been researching this like mad as well, but I haven't even reached the "t3 testing phase yet."

Using huge doses of t3 can slightly overcome the resistance, I have seen anecdotally. But there are reasons for the resistance I have discovered which I will post a little later. Thyroid hormone receptor resistance because of high cortisol, and because of cytokines that can dock with the receptors, sort of like rt3 does. Then there's also high rt3 levels.

drob31

Sorry nothing new to add on this subject!

Since august, have you increased your dose at all? Any positives or negatives yet?

Do you have CFS or just presumed thyroid / metabolic issues?

What does you thyroid blood work look like now?

I'll post a comparison of mine as well.

cigana

Since august, have you increased your dose at all? Any positives or negatives yet?

Do you have CFS or just presumed thyroid / metabolic issues?

What does you thyroid blood work look like now?

I'll post a comparison of mine as well.
I did not take any in August, I think this thread is years old! I have CFS. My thyroid bloodwork never looked abnormal, except my reverse T3, which was always raised. Hope that helps.

drob31

I did not take any in August, I think this thread is years old! I have CFS. My thyroid bloodwork never looked abnormal, except my reverse T3, which was always raised. Hope that helps.

Have you had any adrenal tests done? High RT3 is often caused by high cortisol.

knackers323

I have been researching this like mad as well, but I haven't even reached the "t3 testing phase yet."

Using huge doses of t3 can slightly overcome the resistance, I have seen anecdotally. But there are reasons for the resistance I have discovered which I will post a little later. Thyroid hormone receptor resistance because of high cortisol, and because of cytokines that can dock with the receptors, sort of like rt3 does. Then there's also high rt3 levels.

Interested to hear the reasons for the resistance @drob31

cigana

According to Dr Durrant-Peatfield, rT3 does not block the T3 receptors. I managed to normalise all of my raised cytokines, but I did not experience any noticeable improvement or effect. I've found it hard to find reliable evidence that rT3 and/or cytokines actually block the receptors.

Aidan Walsh

Hi,

I have been wanting to post about this for a while, I am really surprised that there is no thorough discussion of thyroid illness on this forum.

I have been reading a lot lately about the work of Dr John Lowe and Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield. They are two of the most outspoken members of a number of physicians around the world who argue that a type of hypothyroidism, known as Thyroid Resistance or Type II Hypothyroidism is largely responsible for CFS and Fibromyalgia.

Thyroid Resistance is the inability of your cells to properly respond to thyroid hormone. It is analogous with Insulin Resistance / Type II Diabetes.

The most important thing I want to get across to people is that this cannot be detected with blood tests. If all of your thyroid blood tests are normal, that does not mean you are not hypothyroid. So how do you know?

That brings me to the second thing I really want to stress: the best indicator of hypothyroidism is the presence of symptoms along with a low basal temperature. It has been shown that this is a far more accurate prediction of your metabolism than thyroid blood tests. All of you on this forum have the symptoms because they are the same symptoms as CFS/Fibro (including classics like post-exertional fatigue and alcohol intolerance). How many of you also have a low basal temperature? This poll would indicate most of you:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...s-Your-Body-Temperature-Rethinking-98.6/page5

I hope everyone who falls into this bracket will consider the possibility. I fall into this bracket and have begun taking thyroid hormone. So far I am on about 4 times the dose of a typical hypothyroid sufferer. This is far more than enough to make a healthy person hyperthyroid, and yet I feel no different, which to me is proof positive that thyroid hormone is not getting into my cells.

For those of you not aware, thyroid hormone is what is responsible for energising every cell in your body, so it is not difficult to explain the miriad symptoms of CFS/Fibro as being the result of thyroid insufficiency.

It is also interesting to consider the history of diagnosis. Doctors used to diagnose based on symptoms and temperature, and treat with natural thyroid hormone. In the 80's, the TSH blood tests and artificial hormones began to be marketed. The result was that less people were being diagnosed as hypothyroid and hence "CFS/Fibro" emerged (as we all know around the same time). We should not see the "thyroid" community as being different to our own - we all have the same symptoms.

Finally I would also like to point out that there is money to be made by companies who both market the blood tests and sell the artificial forms of the hormone as treatments. Really this is just a money-making scheme: sell a test that predicts nothing and sell a drug that corrects the test. Genius. No wonder the American Society of Endocrinologists receives $1million a year for "educational" purposes. Anyway this is another story.

Remember - ignore your blood tests!

I hope I have convinced some of you to explore this possibility further.

Best wishes,

Mark

EDIT: Dr peatfield says in his book that approximately 30% of his hypothyroid patients have a history of Mono. Mono itself can induce hypothyroidism, as it attacks the colloid tissure of the thyroid.

Aidan Walsh

Internal ionisation radiation injuries will proof beyond any doubts to be the causitive agent(s) of these waste basket labeled disorders such as ebv cfs fibro lyme hhv6 the truth will be told once & for all it has nothing to do with Hypothyroid 'more' complete lies it's identical to Chernobyl radiation

sickness & these Monstrous Government Bankster family Controllers have known for decades exactly what this is 'radiation injuries' 100% file lawsuits sue their asses from the Private sides of Laws God's Laws UCC 'Uniform Comercial Code Liens' no Judges 'debtor servers' Bankers in

black dresses no Courts no Lawyers (liars) Sue for full damages from the Private sides of Law :) If it turns out to be radiation could it be possible vitamin D3 'Master Hormone' could kick out radiation from the body 'who knows' :)'s Hope it is not Radiation but it could explain these thyroid

issues people talk about :)'s I go with patient success stories that's what drives me most not waiting on decades of so called published research that does nothing for wellness just more hype b.s. lies :)'s

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Hi Mark,
I am afraid this does not make much sense to me. I have recently come into contact with a number of people with ME. Over the years I have also looked after a number of people with hypothyroidism. I see no resemblance really. People whose tissues are not responding to thyroid hormone, at least the ones where that is because they do not have enough thyroid hormone do not look or behave or report symptoms like PWME at all. You talk of people making money. I have a strong suspicion that a number of 'hormone doctors' are making quite a nice packet out of theories about people needing thyroid replacement.

The fact that you are not hypothyroid on a large dose of thyroxine means nothing because your thyroid gland will respond by switching off so the level stays the same. You have to take rather a lot of thyroid hormone to actually make yourself thyrotoxic and it is not a very safe thing to do.

Aidan Walsh

Dr. Coimbra uses high dose of vitamin D3 daily he calls this 'partial vitamin D deficiencies' blood works parathyroid hormone, clacium blood and/or 24 hour calcium, vitamin D levels...He says vitamin D3 is what he refers to as a master hormone he is using this protocol in numerous illnesses M.S. Parkinson's Alzheimers, Diabetes, Autism,

CFS/Fibro Auto Immune Disorders a friend of mine in the U.K. 'had' Progressive M.S. his MRI lesions are gone he is fit...He took 80,000 i.u. daily now on maintenance doses in the evening 20,000 i.u.D3 there are numerous numerous posts on Youtube on Dr. Coimbra Neurologist from Sao Palo Brazil I take 50 to 80,000 daily over 10,000 i.u. you must

stop all calcium dairy foods there are no toxicities seen at all only toxicity that could occur are from continued Calcium Dairy foods...One must drink 3 litres water daily I am getting better my pain is gone my headaches non existent now fatigue comes/goes but nothing like before muscle twitching pain in legs are gone my B12 a bit high but reduced one

multi vitamin he says get b2 b6 b12 plus magnesium in you eat foods high in oils fish plus take daily good omega DHA/EPA oil gel forms I no longer try to eat any gluten/gluten free products I get my calcium from fruit/vegs drink 3 to 4 litres water daily my Brain works good concentration memory is up now no longer get down rare :)'s This beats

chasing thyroid medicines waiting on Doctors I now treat myself been on prednisone/prednisolone over 20 years am rarely touching this medicine anymore sleep like a baby plus off any pain meds I got one reaction last week from a natural green tea immediate

headache will never drink that 'shite' ever again :)'s I knew a Doctor many years ago who reversed illness he used 50,000 i.u. D3 daily but he also took large doses of prednisone plus OsCal Calcium he said he thought this was a 'snarled communication between the brain & the

immune system' his brain spect scan normalized :)'s Dr. Michael Hollick the vitamin D King also is involved with Dr. Coimbra they met with Brazil Government & told them as much as 50% of Brazil population are deficient in Vitamin D as well plus this research was based on

the Equator Sun 'regions' published in a Neurology journal on M.S. plus he says most of us when we are/were working we were always inside during peak Sun times 10 am to 2 pm or on night shifts...20 minutes of Sun in a bathing suit is equal to 10,000 i.u. D3...Dr. Hollick also has a lot

on the internet he writes about one black woman crying in his Office diagnosed with Fibro he treated her she is well also he says black need 6x more Sune than whites do...If you 'ever' feel

toxic or worried on D3 doses stop for 3 days start again but avoid Calcium you will be ok :)'s blesses get betta soon :)'s

Last edited: