• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Irritability / frustration

Somedays my irritability is extremely high for no psychological reason. I feel I should wear a sign around my neck saying 'approach with care'. I sometimes warn my husband but he usually knows because my voice gets that sharp edgy tone. I think
its because metabiologically my body is physically stressed and awry. Natural and added food chemicals cause irritability and anger in me too, and so does sugar. Two weeks without sugar in my diet and I am noticeably less irritable.

Anne

Tia

Yup: pretty much irritated most of the time. Any noise that comes from the outside makes me wanna beat in the wall or something. (Of course I don't.) My doctor told me that it's the fatigue makin our moods go down with symptoms like irritation, sadness and such. He could have a point there. Just look at children when tired: they become irritated and cries easily. You're not alone.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
That is what I was saying about the Serotonin. Our levels go down with illness and stress. Helps regulate sleep and we obviously need plenty of that for health and healing. Regulates mood, sensitivity to noise, calming, improves mood and pain.

I am slowly raising my level so noise and irritability is less and less a problem. I get blood tests for it and other things every few months.

L'engle

moogle
Yup: pretty much irritated most of the time. Any noise that comes from the outside makes me wanna beat in the wall or something. (Of course I don't.) My doctor told me that it's the fatigue makin our moods go down with symptoms like irritation, sadness and such. He could have a point there. Just look at children when tired: they become irritated and cries easily. You're not alone.

Wow, you actually got a doctor that atmits the fatigue is causing the mood problems?! That is incredible. Yes, I get irritated. It seems there is always some uncomfortable sensation dogging me from one hour to the next, so it's like some game show where you have to stop doing this, start doing that, time to eat this, take that. Always any wrong step and the price is pain. So that is irritating. I think it is worth trying serotonin.

Lucinda

Irritability is such a problem with me too!

I think, as others have said, it's a result of being so sensitive to stimulus. I'm so sensitive to noise, so the constant talking/tv watching/etc in my house drives me NUTS! I also suffer a lot from the wired/agitated state, so I'm usually already in a wired up/exhausted state even without others around me. When there are other people around me making noise and constantly asking questions, it really is too much.

I try to not express my irritation, but it isn't easy, and on days I'm really fried it comes out with me snapping. I wish I didn't. I'm trying to be kind, compassionate person, but there is this little prickly ball inside me I can't get out!

The result is that I have to spend a lot of time on my own. However, then because I'm on my own so much, I get lonely!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hey Lucinda. I really understand the feeling of having to be alone and then getting lonely. I had this problem for a long time, but i actually have started to turn a corner with it and as i have to spend at least 8 hours a day entirely alone in the middle of a field i have started to actually enjoy it. Now when the weekends come i cant wiat for monday when everyone is back at work/school and i can get some peace and quiet! I also enjoy not having to minister to others peoples needs and can just relax a bit more.

It makes perfect sense to me that we would get irritated as we have so little energy being produced in the body. Everyone knows in my house now when its all got too much for me cos i start getting really unpleasant to everyone. At kleast they are kind to me now though and tell me to go lie down and stop whatever i am doing. Usually then after a little rest my mood improves again.
Sorry ot hear you are lonely though -its a horrible feeling and something most of us seem to suffer from at some time or other. The problem for me is that o complain of being lonely and then when i get a visitor i just sit there wishing they would go away so that i can rest/eat/ be alone etc. Can't win can we?