• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Introducing Two New Styles

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Kina, now that I"m looking at it, the blue is too "bright" for me on both of them. It looks almost Day Glo to me. For me, it needs to be grayer. I'd rather stick with Whisper 2 which is what I'm using right now. I can adjust my F.Lux to tone down the back and the contrast is less jolting to my brain.

I typically use a greyish background on a screen I configure myself, but I'm happy with the Dark Brown setting here. It took some getting used to, but it's low contrast and I find the dark is less straining.

Last edited:

Hip

On this topic I'm actually of the opinion that the route you have taken is the ideal approach, whilst adding options and modifications to this site is great and Kina did a superb job with the new styles, it only solves the issue for this site, by fixing it at a browser level as you have done using style-sheets, browser settings or browser extensions (there are many methods) you can solve the issue for every site you visit.

If you need to change fonts I would think a browser extension like this one would do a great job. Perhaps you would also consider writing a how-to on using your custom style-sheets ?

Yes, thank you Kina for all your efforts in setting up these two new themes.

@wbd, I can certainly provide guidance to anyone who wishes to install a browser custom stylesheet (it takes about or 10 minutes), if there is interest. Let me know. It's slightly different for each different browser. The installation instructions for the Safari browser I wrote up a while ago in a previous post HERE. I also just added the Firefox installation instructions.

Though the way I have set it up, this custom stylesheet only applies to the PR forum, not every website you view.

One you have set up the custom stylesheet in your browser, you can then change the font specifications in the stylesheet to your own personal taste. Everyone will have different font preferences.

I find that only a few fonts can penetrate through my constantly blurred eyesight, my often quite severe ADHD (this is my worst problem), and then finally though the ME/CFS brain fog!

Last edited:
Yes, thank you Kina for all your efforts in setting up these two new themes.

@wbd, I can certainly provide guidance to anyone who wishes to install a browser custom stylesheet (it takes about or 10 minutes), if there is interest. Let me know. It's slightly different for each different browser. The installation instructions for the Safari browser I wrote up a while ago in a previous post HERE. I also just added the Firefox installation instructions.

Though the way I have set it up, this custom stylesheet only applies to the PR forum, not every website you view.

One you have set up the custom stylesheet in your browser, you can then change the font specifications in the stylesheet to your own personal taste. Everyone will have different font preferences.

I find that only a few fonts can penetrate through my constantly blurred eyesight, my often quite severe ADHD (this is my worst problem), and then finally though the ME/CFS brain fog!

@Hip what fonts are you using?

I just want to mention that Kina has done all the work on these styles - and it's been a lot of work! - and I think the end result is just fantastic! I've been using the 'Light for Low Vision' theme for a few weeks now, while it's been in the final stages of testing, and I love it! So a big vote of thanks to Kina for all her hard work on these themes. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

this is from a long time ago, but i just found this option and i love it! i use candlelight on my mac, which makes a lot of things hard to read, but makes it possible for me to tolerate the screen better. (it reduces blue light all the time, unlike f.lux, which only does at night).

everything is much crisper and more readable/visible. i love candlelight and night modes on my devices, but it really messes with the visibility of websites and i appreciate something like this that makes that easier!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
i love candlelight and night modes on my devices, but it really messes with the visibility of websites and i appreciate something like this that makes that easier!
Just a note: I just got a new computer and it has an option to turn on the low blue light night setting all the time (it has a color mixing slider). If you have a newer computer, hunt around in your settings and you may find it. It doesn't interfere with visibility of websites at all. For me, personally, this is the best viewing option.

taniaaust1

Kina, now that I"m looking at it, the blue is too "bright" for me on both of them. It looks almost Day Glo to me. For me, it needs to be grayer. I'd rather stick with Whisper 2 which is what I'm using right now. I can adjust my F.Lux to tone down the back and the contrast is less jolting to my brain.

@minkeygirl , I seem to have the same issue as you too, they both bright (I dont know if that is the best way to explain it but the blue is certainlyy glaring to me), they both are jarring to me. The big contrast between that bright white writing on the dark is jarring. Needs to be toned down, grayer. Anyway, I know exactly what u mean.. low vision ones too bright.

Ive just gone back to the dark blue cause both those ones for low vision were too much for me. Have u tried the dark blue on this? that isnt bright and I dont have issues with that one.

taniaaust1

I typically use a greyish background on a screen I configure myself, but I'm happy with the Dark Brown setting here. It took some getting used to, but it's low contrast and I find the dark is less straining.

Nods, the black with the bright white contrast is very straining ...its too much. I was just agreeing with minkeygirls post.