• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interpreting genova comprehensive stool test

tinacarroll27

Hi I just got my results from genova comprehensive stool test. I am not sure how to interpret it!?? Had hoped to get some idea of why I have problems with my gut and why I feel so ill all the time but no sign of parasites and some of it seems normal. One concern was the very high Beta Glucuronidase, as I have family members who have died of breast cancer. I do have upper fermenting gut as I have had a positive SIBO test with high hydrogen (no methane) and I have a history of IBS as well as ME. Low levels of E. coli, Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria were noted in the stool. Other than that not much! Wondering if I should have the Ubiom test done? Might show more!?

Chymotrypsin 16.3 Reference Range 0.9-26.8 U/g

Putrefactive SCFAs (Total*) 6.7 Reference Range 1.3-8.6 micromol/g

Triglycerides 0.5 Reference Range 0.2-3.3 mg/g

Long Chain Fatty Acids 3.3 Reference Range 1.3-23.7 mg/g

Cholesterol 14.3 Reference Range 0.2-3.5 mg/g

Phospholipids 0.7 Reference Range 0.2-8.8 mg/g

Fecal Fat (Total) 18.8 Reference Range 2.6-32.4 mg/g

Beneficial SCFAs (Total) 58.3 Reference Range >= 13.6 micromol/g

n-Butyrate 13.8 Reference Range >= 2.5 micromol/g

Beta Glucuronidase 26,288 Reference Range 337-4,433 U/g

pH 6.6 Reference Range 6.1-7.9

Lactobacillus species (No Growth)
Escherichia coli (No Growth)
Bifidobacterium 3+
alpha haemolytic Streptococcus (Non Pathogen) 2+
Mycology (No Growth)
Campylobacter specific antigen ◆ Negative
Shiga-like Toxin E. coli ◆ Negative
Cryptosporidium ◆ Negative
Giardia lamblia ◆ Negative
Entamoeba histolytica ♦Negative

LINE

Just some thoughts, I am sure others will chime in. No sign of yeast/fungal, some protozoa are negative but this test does not include all protozoa. Bifidus strains colonize the large intestine while lacto strains inhabit the small intestine, lacto is low.

I am not sure if the e coli is the pathogenic strain or the beneficial e coli. e coli is a wide spectrum group of bacteria with the well known one being pathogenic. If they are referring to e coli as the beneficial strain then this could explain some of the problems in the gut, bec is a major inhabitant of the gut and European researchers feel this is important since it is the organism that helps other probiotics take root and has other good properties.

Mutaflor is a bec probiotic but is not available in the US due to regulations.

Here is a link about bec https://www.prevention.com/health/a20456778/e-coli-can-be-good-for-you/

Learner1

@LINE has made some good suggestions. I got Symbioflor2 from Germany shipped to me in Washington, which is a good e coli probiotic.

To raise lacto and bifido, Xymogen ProBioMax 100 or 350 are both good, especially when taken with prebiotics like GOS, for example, Klaire Labs Galactomune.

As for the high beta glucuronidase, it does sound like something to be concerned about. Here is a good article on it with suggestions at the bottom:

https://www.planetnaturopath.com/ho...fication/#foods_and_supplements_that_can_help

tinacarroll27

To raise lacto and bifido, Xymogen ProBioMax 100 or 350 are both good, especially when taken with prebiotics like GOS, for example, Klaire Labs Galactomune.

As for the high beta glucuronidase, it does sound like something to be concerned about. Here is a good article on it with suggestions at the bottom:

Thanks I will check those out. Yes I do find it worrying that it is so high, especially since breast cancer runs in my family. Will try those supplements mentioned in that article.

Learner1

Watching for estrogen dominance is also helpful, as well as avoiding refined carbs. Turkeytail mushrooms, hyperbaric oxygen or ozone might be helpful, too, as well as ensuring vitamin C level is high. (I'm a cancer survivor myself...)

Good luck!

LINE

@LINE has made some good suggestions. I got Symbioflor2 from Germany shipped to me in Washington, which is a good e coli probiotic.

Good to know that you could order this, could you tell me where you ordered it from? Thanks.

Rooney

I ordered Mutaflor to the US in fall of 2016, so I think it can be had. It must be shipped cold so I waited past summer to do this. It was sent with ice packs. Sorry, I can't find the source.

Rooney

I remember it helped constipation, but after the 60 pills supply, I just don't know. It was suggested years ago by Dr Cheney.

Back