• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting blog on CAA an CDC

C

CFSLogic

Teejkay

Teejkay:

There seems to be an over-arching theme to all your posts that involve the CAA of a constant whining and complaining. It seems like all you know how to do is bitch and moan about how the CAA did this, or why didn't the CAA do that...

What the WPI submitted were for grants to work on finding biological problems in CFS. They couldn't have submitted a grant to find XMRV because they hadn't found it yet. However, they were denied grant money from the CAA and had to use private funding which led to the discovery of XMRV. The bottom line is, the CAA could have funded that research but refused to.

You, nor I, have any idea what was included in WPI's research application -- 44 independent reviewers obviously thought it lacked something. Who knows what their application was about? Just because WPI "discovered" XMRV in October does not mean that their "discovery" deserved recognition.

What logic are you using when you make statements like:

The bottom line is, the CAA could have funded that research but refused to.

Were you involved in the decision making process? Do you know SPECIFICALLY how many RFA's were submitted by WPI, and for what? Why do you feel it's necessary that the CAA fund WPI's research?

WPI should not have ANY problems generating money for research with the Whittemore family being worth nearly $2 BILLION. If they wanted, they could build a center of excellence -- as opposed to the current hole in the ground in the desert that is the WPI. Shit, if my parents were worth $2 Billion, I most likely would not be sick right now. I'm sure they would spend every dollar in an effort to get me healthy. I would like to think that no amount is too much as it relates your child.

And you, nor I, knew the content of the requests for grants, including any from WPI. Maybe their application wasn't done correctly. Maybe WPI's application lacked something specific, and so on.

Everyone has jumped on the XMRV bandwagon, and we don't even know yet its role in CFS (if any), or treatments for it. So your logic is that the CAA should automatically fund WPI because of their XMRV "discovery". Also, the CAA should have funded WPI in 2008 before news about XMRV came out in October 2009. Is this your logic? Instead of constantly questioning or complaining about the CAA not funding WPI, why not do the same to the Whittemore family, with their $2 Billion fortune? Why not demand that WPI fund more research, and then help them get it? There are so many more positive things one could do to help make progress against CFS/ME.

Again, your incessant bitching about anything the CAA does or does not do is old and lame. If you aren't happy with something in your life, work to change it, instead of posting unrelenting drivel about the CAA. If you are so concerned about their perceived ineffectiveness in a specific area, maybe you should stop bitching about it, and focus your efforts and energy on working to fill in the perceived "gaps". Instead of whining all over the ME/CFS forums, get and remain proactive in your struggle with CFS. Write and/or call your elected officials. Become an advocate for others. I could go on and on, but you get my point.

valia

Teejkay:

There seems to be an over-arching theme to all your posts that involve the CAA of a constant whining and complaining. It seems like all you know how to do is bitch and moan about how the CAA did this, or why didn't the CAA do that...

You, nor I, have any idea what was included in WPI's research application -- 44 independent reviewers obviously thought it lacked something. Who knows what their application was about? Just because WPI "discovered" XMRV in October does not mean that their "discovery" deserved recognition.

What logic are you using when you make statements like:

Were you involved in the decision making process? Do you know SPECIFICALLY how many RFA's were submitted by WPI, and for what? Why do you feel it's necessary that the CAA fund WPI's research?

WPI should not have ANY problems generating money for research with the Whittemore family being worth nearly $2 BILLION. If they wanted, they could build a center of excellence -- as opposed to the current hole in the ground in the desert that is the WPI. Shit, if my parents were worth $2 Billion, I most likely would not be sick right now. I'm sure they would spend every dollar in an effort to get me healthy. I would like to think that no amount is too much as it relates your child.

And you, nor I, knew the content of the requests for grants, including any from WPI. Maybe their application wasn't done correctly. Maybe WPI's application lacked something specific, and so on.

Everyone has jumped on the XMRV bandwagon, and we don't even know yet its role in CFS (if any), or treatments for it. So your logic is that the CAA should automatically fund WPI because of their XMRV "discovery". Also, the CAA should have funded WPI in 2008 before news about XMRV came out in October 2009. Is this your logic? Instead of constantly questioning or complaining about the CAA not funding WPI, why not do the same to the Whittemore family, with their $2 Billion fortune? Why not demand that WPI fund more research, and then help them get it? There are so many more positive things one could do to help make progress against CFS/ME.

Again, your incessant bitching about anything the CAA does or does not do is old and lame. If you aren't happy with something in your life, work to change it, instead of posting unrelenting drivel about the CAA. If you are so concerned about their perceived ineffectiveness in a specific area, maybe you should stop bitching about it, and focus your efforts and energy on working to fill in the perceived "gaps". Instead of whining all over the ME/CFS forums, get and remain proactive in your struggle with CFS. Write and/or call your elected officials. Become an advocate for others. I could go on and on, but you get my point.

Hi CFSLogic, People around here don't pay much attention to newbies (first posters).

Hey, why don't you post it again using the name you usually use? You know the one we are all familiar with. Cheers.

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
Hi CFSLogic. Please don't criticize people on here. It doesn't help. In fact, it adds to any useless hostility, which seems to be what you're asking others to stop doing. Perhaps instead you could put forward your ideas for how to create change.

alice1

LOL..
cfslogic(if that's who you are) that gave me a good giggle..thanks.
A good bitch fest and a laugh is good medicine.

dipic

Hi CFSLogic, People around here don't pay much attention to newbies (first posters).

Hey, why don't you post it again using the name you usually use? You know the one we are all familiar with. Cheers.

Seconded. Pretty immature not to mention cowardly to hide behind a newly registered name just so you can criticize someone without fear of consequence or humiliation.

CFSLogic seems to have taken tee's comments quite personally. Gee, I wonder who they could be. :rolleyes:

Marylib

So who is this person?

Seems you all might know this person under another name? If so, I have missed it.

I find it particularly offensive to insult the Whittemores and the WPI. If Andrea (who is far from well!) reads these posts from time to time, I hope she can do the "la la la I can't hear you" :)

MEKoan

Seems you all might know this person under another name? If so, I have missed it.

I find it particularly offensive to insult the Whittemores and the WPI. If Andrea (who is far from well!) reads these posts from time to time, I hope she can do the "la la la I can't hear you" :)

I don't know what's going on either but I share Marylib's reaction to the comments about the Whittemores. CFSLogic seemed, to me, to be suggesting that they almost did too little!

I don't think I want to know who this is.

alice1

I did laugh out loud because it was taken so personally when the topic wasn't aimed at anyone on this board.
People who want to be supportive of one another can certainly have differences of opinions.That's human.
No need to be mean-spirited though.

R

Robin

Teejkay:

Hi CFSLogic. There's no need to get personal. Say what you wish, but please use civil language when addressing another poster.

And to everyone else, let us handle the allegation of posting under two accounts. For now, we don't worry about who people are, it's what they say. :)

Marylib

WPI needs funding

It is my impression that the WPI needs funding just like everyone else. They have been well supported by local and Nevada state agencies. But I think that no grant would be peanuts to them.

... the circle of people who knew that XMRV was under investigation in CFS (let alone the remarkable results WPI achieved) was pretty small, and that contributed to the terrific splash and attention following the publication in Science.

I'm sure you know that the circle of people who knew XMRV was under investigtion was small because it had to be small or the research wouldn't have been published. My own ME/CFS doctor, who sent blood samples to WPI for their research project, had to first sign a non-disclosure agreement before he was allowed to participate. As far as what contributed to the splash and attention following the publication in Science, I don't believe the all the flurry had anything to do with the small number of people who knew about the research; I believe it had everything to do with the significance of the research. JMHO.