• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intelligence, Emotional Sensitivities and Implications on Immune System

Rufous McKinney

This recent study of 3,715 Mensa Members found: a significant increase of mood disorders, autoimmune disorders, asthma, allergies and other signs of hyper immune response in this population.

http://mastcelldiseaseawareness.org...-chronic-immune-activation-and-dysregulation/

"Karpinski and her colleagues developed a hyper brain / hyper body theory of integration. It posits that individuals with high cognitive ability react with an overexcitable emotional and behavioral response to their environment. Due in part to this increased awareness of their surroundings, people with a high IQ then tend to experience an overexcitable, hyperreactive central nervous system."

Longer Article: https://neurosciencenews.com/iq-hyper-brain-body-7720/

I find this fascinating....How do we respond to an overstimulating world while protecting our bodies and health?

What roll does mental and emotional output play in our overall Energy deficiency?

Have these types of issues played a role in your life?

Care to chat?

Rufous McKinney

If we consider our bodies and neural networks to be part of an ongoing construction project, consider ones' childhood growing up.

I grew up with one older brother, six years older than myself. I was fairly sheltered, my mother didn't drive, I was home alot, we did not go out and do alot in the outer world. I find the outer world: to be pretty overwhelming whenever I sampled it. So I was a extroverted, but sensitive kid.

So my older brother is my best friend, the person I hung out with the most, we were very close, my father was working most of the time.

So I was a child forever striving to be: at least six years older than I actually am. Always striving to challenge myself, always wanting to win that hand of Canasta I was forever losing.

So if you start to put: energy units on: these types of ways of being in the world, its a pretty intense: energy output. I imposed on myself, due to the circumstances. At ten: I get EBV big time.

Rufous McKinney

A typical day at the Office:

I reflect on one of the last meetings, a training class, I was required to attend for my work. About 30 people, in a small room, a slide projector, presentation, some discussion.

The person on my left paid little attention to the training presentation. I noticed she was assembling a Xmas shopping list.

The person on my right is half asleep.

Meanwhile: I am fully engaged in the Presentation. I am following all those details. I have numerous questions. I took notes also, I raised my hand several times. I think there was maybe one other question. I had 10.

Later, about three of us are now: fully engaged in a hypothetical debate on how we would CHANGE ENTIRELY the protocols we are being subjected to, we are critiqueing the entire training.

The other 27 people: can hardly wait to go home.

So: WHO put out the most energy units that day? __________________

Who had a relaxing day ignoring the training, not bothering to think about it? the other 27

Now apply this Energy Factor to: your whole existence.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
@Rufous McKinney Thanks for bringing up a very interesting subject. :)

Here is a link to the research paper addressed in the link you posted:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289616303324?via=ihub

I, too, have wondered if some people are processing much, much more information, and at many more conscious and unconscious levels. System overload? Perhaps some people have lives that are akin to trying to listen to a violin recital on an airfield.

I do not think we are designed, in any way, to live in the contaminated environment that is currently called civilization.

It seems to me that the diseases of civilization are more than just contaminated food, water, air, and earth. More than too many carbs, or too much Omega 6 and the resulting inflammation. Dr. Samuel Milham's studies on the health damage caused by electricity give one pause.

Can you tell me what definitions you use for introvert and extrovert? There are so many frames of reference.

What if we could notice, be attentive, without reacting, without liking or disliking? I would be calmer, and likely, more healthy.

I am working on putting the puzzle of balance together. :)

This is a most fascinating subject. Thanks again for starting the thread. :angel:

i-lava-u

@Hope4 I really enjoyed reading your thoughtful, well worded post, above. :star::tulip:

I especially like this....
Perhaps some people have lives that are akin to trying to listen to a violin recital on an airfield.

I feel that this world, in 2019, is a system overload for our physical, mental and spiritual health. In many, many ways.

I try my best, each day, to focus on the good things :)

Rufous McKinney

I do not think we are designed, in any way, to live in the contaminated environment that is currently called civilization.

I completely agree. I think this intensification of our living experience is really taking a toll, and it starts sooner in some than others. I also think the "system" somehow recognizes this, and is therefore resistant to addressing these issues. (see, lack of NIH grants)

What if we could notice, be attentive, without reacting, without liking or disliking? I would be calmer, and likely, more healthy.

I am now MUCH better at all of this than I was in the past. Possiblity of do over? (thats ok)...
So how do we- undertake the really complicated kinds of things folks do nowadays, with the need to just be calm, attentive, centered, calm.

Can you tell me what definitions you use for introvert and extrovert

I use the terms a bit loosely. Here, I know I am an extrovert in many ways and for much of my life. But I was always more sensitive (loosely defined) than most others I was around. I was never shy, my brother was VERY shy. But now: I test out as an introvert in the personality tests: have no energy for all that, therefore, don't want to do any of that now. Mostly. I sponsored outstanding parties, and now, cannot attend one.:_

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
@Hope4 ...
I feel that this world, in 2019, is a system overload for our physical, mental and spiritual health. In many, many ways.

I try my best, each day, to focus on the good things :)

@i-lava-u :). Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I always enjoy reading your posts. I find your focus on the good things a lovely blessing. :hug:

I agree with you about the system overload. I spend much of my life working to recover from the overload.

So how do we- undertake the really complicated kinds of things folks do nowadays, with the need to just be calm, attentive, centered, calm.

I find this to be ever the question of the hour. :)

One of the ways to work on this, for me, has been the Alexander Technique. Another has been finding a frame of reference which I can live with, for looking at life with thoughts of blessing.

Regarding introvert and extrovert: I heard a definition some years ago, which I found apt.

Introversion is gathering energy when being alone, and extroversion gathers energy when with others. It is a spectrum.

To me, that made the most sense, as we can be a bit more or a bit less of something at any moment. But the primary way of regenerating is one or the other.

Rufous McKinney

Introversion is gathering energy when being alone, and extroversion gathers energy when with others. It is a spectrum.

Agree this is likely the best way at looking at these contrasting terms. I recall times at my own fantastically sponsored parties where I am: off in some corner avoiding the hordes. Enjoying the One on One conversation...prefer those. I avoided "loud" most of the time....(except Rock Concert)

One of the ways to work on this, for me, has been the Alexander Technique

How interesting! That would be an outstanding method for slowing things down a bit and focusing on using the body the way it was designed.

Did you study this method? Take Classes? Or working with books?

I've got spinal defects I"ve lived with all of my life. Fascinating that we have somewhat abruptly: observed the collagen connection now and seeing the remarkable recoveries from Jen and Jeff.... So Alexandering was always compromised here by my inability to fully work with spinal positioning. But I try!:cool:

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
... That would be an outstanding method for slowing things down a bit and focusing on using the body the way it was designed.

Did you study this method?...

Yes, I took lessons for many years. I consider Alexander Technique one of the most fortunate parts of my life. As with learning other skills, I found it of great help to study with the best teachers I could.

I'm sorry you've had back troubles. I hope you've been able to find ways to take good carea of yourself. :)