• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Insurance company (United Healthcare) hardball tactics

valentinelynx

they are now charing me $81.65 (for 90 pills) which is better than the coupon rate.

Glad to hear it. Drug prices are so ridiculously random. Things like hydrocortisone (even the brand name) have been around forever, and really shouldn't cost more than a few cents per pill. But you know, and I know, it's highway robbery, and they get away with it!

Learner1

I was impressed with John Arnold's interview at the Forbes summit 2 days ago, and tlhis views on drug pricing:

Maybe he could do something about a 90 day Valcyte prescriprion which runs about $9,000 - the 2 generics are priced just under the name brand. Wish more people could have access to it.

Rufous McKinney

oh great, I've never seen this thread before. Its 2023

I'm trying to find the new thread from two days ago.

United Health Care and Medicare Advantage Plans: the rip off. So now they are being sued and I'd like to join in, as the algorithm they ran was used to deny my husband more than 14 days of Skilled Nursing post severe stroke.

https://www.statnews.com/2023/11/14/unitedhealth-algorithm-medicare-advantage-investigation/

https://www.statnews.com/2023/11/14/unitedhealth-class-action-lawsuit-algorithm-medicare-advantage/

Rufous McKinney

Still can't find the thread from two days ago, @Mary

I suspect the law firm won't want to include our case. Because both our appeals were denied, whereas the article mentions that appeals and Judicial Reviews overturned the algorithm's conclusion (paraphrasing)- they can use all that in a court case.

Our appeal was not handled properly by United HC, either. A number of irregularities happened. I was left with having to hire an attorney, and create an entire Judical Review Case, pay for judges, and how many years was that going to take one sick person, named Rufous?

However, I have notes from when NAVIHEALTH told me the algorithm was used, to determine he got 14 days authorized and nothing further. And he'd been there only a few days, so how do you conclude TREATMENT is done. When its not hardly been started, and progress is irrelevant and the individual patient is also irrelevant.

Meanwhile, people told us their stroke victim got a full 90 days of Acute Rehab and we got 14. It seems some individuals are written off, if you ask me.