• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inositol caused muscle twitching+ damaged cognition

I took 11 grams inositol a day for 5 weeks a while back and ever since I've had non stop, extreme muscle twitching and facial muscle pressure. My cognition has also been heavily damaged.

An example of this is that my brain constantly retrieves the wrong or an unrelated word when thinking. I also see different words to what is written on paper or screen. Plus it has made it impossible to concentrate on anything.

Any ideas here? I know it affects the sodium potassium pump and might affect acetylcholine in some way but apart from this I'm completely clueless

pamojja

Only know that I had side-effects of chaw-tension above a certain amount of choline. This side-effects lifted with inositol in the range of 10 g+ per day for about 3 years now.

Do you get any choline in your diet or supplemented?

Only know that I had side-effects of chaw-tension above a certain amount of choline. This side-effects lifted with inositol in the range of 10 g+ per day for about 3 years now.

Do you get any choline in your diet or supplemented?

I've been taking some choline bitartrate and eat eggs occasionally. Also tried CDP choline before

joshua.leisk

Joshua Leisk (Researcher)
I took 11 grams inositol a day for 5 weeks a while back and ever since I've had non stop, extreme muscle twitching and facial muscle pressure. My cognition has also been heavily damaged.

An example of this is that my brain constantly retrieves the wrong or an unrelated word when thinking. I also see different words to what is written on paper or screen. Plus it has made it impossible to concentrate on anything.

Any ideas here? I know it affects the sodium potassium pump and might affect acetylcholine in some way but apart from this I'm completely clueless
According to our model:

Sounds like you’ve removed one bottleneck and thanks to the ongoing vicious cycle, you’re now out of Acetyl-CoA (can’t make acetylcholine, acetyl*) and suffering from some spike of ammonia->urea.

If this was me, I’d be trying 4L of water per day, a 10g dose of BCAAs as needed and some large doses of NAC throughout the day (eg. 1000mg x3-4), or some other kind of Acetyl-CoA donor - eg. 2-3 x high dose ACV capsules + some cysteine.

I’d add 3-4 high doses of R-ALA (eg. 400mg) and keep your net carb intake very low, with decent protein and fat intake, eg. ballpark 65g net carbs, >120g protein, >120g fat. Choline sources should be included. DV+ of B vitamins.

I’d also consume 150-200mg of EGCG every 4-5 hours.

Depending on the source of the ammonia spike, this might be something that continues for 4 days.

In our model, this isn’t a complete solution, more like a handful of patches.

If you find this helpful, we’re discussing the more complete solution in another thread. I’m just thinking of options someone may have readily available.

According to our model:

Sounds like you’ve removed one bottleneck and thanks to the ongoing vicious cycle, you’re now out of Acetyl-CoA (can’t make acetylcholine, acetyl*) and suffering from some spike of ammonia->urea.

If this was me, I’d be trying 4L of water per day, a 10g dose of BCAAs as needed and some large doses of NAC throughout the day (eg. 1000mg x3-4), or some other kind of Acetyl-CoA donor - eg. 2-3 x high dose ACV capsules + some cysteine.

I’d add 3-4 high doses of R-ALA (eg. 400mg) and keep your net carb intake very low, with decent protein and fat intake, eg. ballpark 65g net carbs, >120g protein, >120g fat. Choline sources should be included. DV+ of B vitamins.

I’d also consume 150-200mg of EGCG every 4-5 hours.

Depending on the source of the ammonia spike, this might be something that continues for 4 days.

In our model, this isn’t a complete solution, more like a handful of patches.

If you find this helpful, we’re discussing the more complete solution in another thread. I’m just thinking of options someone may have readily available.

Thanks for commenting, you could be right and I feel that my liver is in trouble. I do have a metabolomix test which has my levels of amino acids etc and other stuff which I would happily send to you to look at, but I can't send PMs here due to being a new member.

I do have constant thirst and hypersalivation as well that I should have mentioned. It's a lot to remember. My history is also a bit complex

joshua.leisk

Joshua Leisk (Researcher)
Thanks for commenting, you could be right and I feel that my liver is in trouble. I do have a metabolomix test which has my levels of amino acids etc and other stuff which I would happily send to you to look at, but I can't send PMs here due to being a new member.

I do have constant thirst and hypersalivation as well that I should have mentioned. It's a lot to remember. My history is also a bit complex
You may find these helpful -

Overview of the 3 papers:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/me-cfs-research-herpes-autoimmune-spectrum-disorder.83371/post-2337748

Primary mechanism, reflex, cascade:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/me-cfs-research-herpes-autoimmune-spectrum-disorder.83371/post-2335821

Continued..
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/me-cfs-research-herpes-autoimmune-spectrum-disorder.83371/post-2338990