• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

India battles rash of "black fungus" cases hitting COVID-19 patients

nerd

I still believe there is a strong connection between mold and CFS. Just not as obvious as the above types of documented cases.

COVID-19 mRNA vaccines also improve the immune response against fungi. It's possible that they share parts of their pathophysiology.

antares4141

COVID-19 mRNA vaccines also improve the immune response against fungi. It's possible that they share parts of their pathophysiology.
Wishful thinking, but I was kind of hoping the two moderna shots I got would help with my CFS. No change for better or worse. I was down for a day and a half after the 2nd dose but after that same old same old.

nerd

Wishful thinking, but I was kind of hoping the two moderna shots I got would help with my CFS.

Not wishful thinking. There is a preprint study on it (10.1101/2021.05.03.21256520). There are a couple of potentially beneficial mechanisms in the context of CFS from the Biontech vaccine. When it's due to shared pathology of SARS-CoV-2 with other pathogens, other vaccines might have the same effect. But it's certainly no cure. SARS-CoV-2 and herpes viridae aren't similar enough. I'd be open to discuss this in a separate post.

nerd

@nerd Would this mean that there could be an impact on my cfs type symptoms (from covid) from the mRNA Vaccine?

COVID-19 itself, but also vaccines "change" the immune system permanently. Normally, the disease itself triggers the same immune response as the vaccines do. This means that there wouldn't be any further benefit as a long hauler to take the vaccines. But theoretically, it's possible that a subgroup only has an adaptive response against the disease and not much of an innate response and that the vaccines could further improve the innate response (or vice versa). But this is a controversial topic, which is discussed in the context of the original antigenic sin. I'm still waiting for more data on the long-term effects of the vaccines in order to pick which one might provide the greatest benefits for CFS/ME patients with frequent viral reactivations.

Boba

COVID-19 itself, but also vaccines "change" the immune system permanently. Normally, the disease itself triggers the same immune response as the vaccines do. This means that there wouldn't be any further benefit as a long hauler to take the vaccines. But theoretically, it's possible that a subgroup only has an adaptive response against the disease and not much of an innate response and that the vaccines could further improve the innate response (or vice versa). But this is a controversial topic, which is discussed in the context of the original antigenic sin. I'm still waiting for more data on the long-term effects of the vaccines in order to pick which one might provide the greatest benefits for CFS/ME patients with frequent viral reactivations.

@nerd thanks for the reply
I have the option to get the mRNA vaccine, but if I get it right it won’t be a magic pill for my symptoms. Hoped it would destroy some persistent virus or remodel my immune system. Seems like that won’t be the case unfortunately.