• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increased Pain and Elevated Cytokines in PwFMS with Defective GH Response to Exercise

Dolphin

Other people can probably say better than I can whether this might be relevant in ME/CFS (my guess is that there may be people with ME/CFS in their cohort)

(I made each line a paragraph)

Open Immunol J. 2010;3:9-18.

Preliminary Evidence of Increased Pain and Elevated Cytokines in Fibromyalgia Patients with Defective Growth Hormone Response to Exercise.

Ross RL, Jones KD, Bennett RM, Ward RL, Druker BJ, Wood LJ.

Oregon Health & Science University, School of Nursing, 3455 SW US Veterans Hospital Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA.

Abstract

Mounting evidence suggests fibromyalgia (FM) symptoms are influenced by dysfunction of the hypothalamic-pituitary-hormonal axes (HPHA) and the immune response system.

The predominant FM symptoms of widespread pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, depression, stiffness and exercise intolerance are related to abnormal levels of growth hormone (GH) and are reminiscent of "sickness behavior"; a syndrome initiated by the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines in response to various stressors.

Cognizant of the reciprocal relationship between HPHA activity and the immune response system, we hypothesized that serum cytokine levels and FM symptom severity would be higher in FM patients with defective growth hormone response to exhaustive exercise compared to those without.

Outpatients with FM (n = 165) underwent a Modified Balke Treadmill Protocol and GH response to exhaustive exercise was measured in peripheral blood samples.

Levels of IL-1alpha, IL-1beta, IL-1RA, IL-6, IL-8, IL-10, and TNF-alpha were measured from stored serum on a subset of 24 participants (12 with and 12 without normal GH response to exhaustive exercise).

FM symptom severity was assessed using the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ), number of tender points and cumulative myalgic scores.

GH dysfunction was associated with increased pain scores on the FIQ (p = 0.024), a greater number of tender points (p = 0.014), higher myalgic scores (p = 0.001) and higher pre-exercise levels of inflammatory cytokines IL-1alpha (p = 0.021), IL-6 (p = 0.012), and IL-8 (p = 0.004).

These results suggest that a defective growth hormone response to exercise may be associated with increased levels of blood cytokines and pain severity in FM patients.

PMID: 20467575 [PubMed]

flybro

These results suggest that a defective growth hormone response to exercise may be associated with increased levels of blood cytokines and pain severity in FM patients.

thats really intresting, I have a FM & MCS DX,

when I was a young child, the doctors discussed using growth hormone on me. I don't think they did tho, and if they did it didn't work LOL.